Proposal: What would it take from the Pens to trade for McGinn?

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Impending free agent, currently makes 2.9 million, averages 10-15 goals a season, but is on pace to match somewhere around his high of 19 for this season. Physical, good team player, seems to have fit in well with you guys.

The Pens could definitely use a left wing, and they don't have a ton of cap space so a solid complementary wing like McGinn could be a good fit. If he can replace Kunitz on our top line with Sid and Hornqvist at best, or fill in on the left next to Bonino or Fehr on the third line at worst, he would be a useful asset for us.

As far as value, I think McGinn definitely has some, but I think a first, or one of our top three prospects (Murray, Sprong, Pouliot) would be completely unreasonable. But he would be worth some combination of secondary prospects/picks/players.

Beau Bennett is a former first round pick who shows first line potential when healthy, but just needs to stay healthy. He is someone that Byslma is very familiar with and has a low cap hit. Ian Cole is a former first round pick who finished very well with the Pens last season, but has struggled this season, and is now expendable with Pouliot coming up. He is signed to a very reasonable amount, for the next two season following this one. If he can take up a bottom four position for you guys for 2 million a year the next two and a half years, that's not a bad deal. From there, I would expect the Pens to have to add something. Maybe a mid round pick?

Summary proposal idea (feel free to provide alterations, suggestions, mocking, whatever you feel):
Beau Bennett RW
Ian Cole D
4th round pick

for

Jamie McGinn
6th round pick

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It could work. Bennett's injuries would keep him from being overpriced this summer as an RFA.

What are Cole's numbers like to the statistically inclined out there?

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
It could work. Bennett's injuries would keep him from being overpriced this summer as an RFA.

What are Cole's numbers like to the statistically inclined out there?

Has Bennett really fallen that far out of favor that he would come that cheap? I still think barring injury he could be a decent 2nd liner in this league and produce more McGinn does on average.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
We can't trade for Beau Bennett, Bylsma ruined him and he was the greatest prospect in Pittsburgh history outside of Crosby and Lemieux.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Bennett does a great job of passing in the offensive zone, and finding soft spots to shoot from. He was our best player in preseason and has been very solid when healthy. However, he's not going to supplant hornqvist or Kessel at right wing, and we are desperate for help at left.

Cole does not have great advanced stats thus year but did last. He is a left handed puck moving defenseman with good skill with the stick and sound positioning ability, but needs to develop consistency.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Impending free agent, currently makes 2.9 million, averages 10-15 goals a season, but is on pace to match somewhere around his high of 19 for this season. Physical, good team player, seems to have fit in well with you guys.

The Pens could definitely use a left wing, and they don't have a ton of cap space so a solid complementary wing like McGinn could be a good fit. If he can replace Kunitz on our top line with Sid and Hornqvist at best, or fill in on the left next to Bonino or Fehr on the third line at worst, he would be a useful asset for us.

As far as value, I think McGinn definitely has some, but I think a first, or one of our top three prospects (Murray, Sprong, Pouliot) would be completely unreasonable. But he would be worth some combination of secondary prospects/picks/players.

Beau Bennett is a former first round pick who shows first line potential when healthy, but just needs to stay healthy. He is someone that Byslma is very familiar with and has a low cap hit. Ian Cole is a former first round pick who finished very well with the Pens last season, but has struggled this season, and is now expendable with Pouliot coming up. He is signed to a very reasonable amount, for the next two season following this one. If he can take up a bottom four position for you guys for 2 million a year the next two and a half years, that's not a bad deal. From there, I would expect the Pens to have to add something. Maybe a mid round pick?

Summary proposal idea (feel free to provide alterations, suggestions, mocking, whatever you feel):
Beau Bennett RW
Ian Cole D
4th round pick

for

Jamie McGinn
6th round pick

Beau Bennett RW
Ian Cole D
ANA 2nd Rounder

for

Jamie McGinn
5th round pick

I'd certainly accept that

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Not trading a second round pick in addition to two players for an impending free agent who has never scored twenty goals. I'm willing to bet he can see inflated totals and complement Sid, meanwhile you're betting on Bennett's health and Cole to rebound with a system that fits his game more. I'm willing to sweeten the pot, hence the exchange of mid round picks, but moving a second would be trading futures that we can't afford to part with. I'd consider a third and fifth swap, but not a second. The penguins have given up too many high picks for rentals.

If your choice is let him walk, resign him, take my offer, or hope for a better offer, what do you think will be in the best long term interest as a team? With my offer, at best you get a top six right wing, a middle pairing defenseman, and move up in the draft. At worst, Bennett doesn't stay healthy, Cole doesn't fit in your everyday six and he becomes a cheap buyout or trade....but you still get a better draft pick at the absolute least. For a solid but ultimately replaceable impending UFA. I don't think it's a bad offer

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Take Ian Cole out add Ryan Segalla, defenseman for University of Conneticut;6-1 195. Solid skater, solid physical game, has another year in college. Add depth with potential 5/6 abilities.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Not trading a second round pick in addition to two players for an impending free agent who has never scored twenty goals. I'm willing to bet he can see inflated totals and complement Sid, meanwhile you're betting on Bennett's health and Cole to rebound with a system that fits his game more. I'm willing to sweeten the pot, hence the exchange of mid round picks, but moving a second would be trading futures that we can't afford to part with. I'd consider a third and fifth swap, but not a second. The penguins have given up too many high picks for rentals.

If your choice is let him walk, resign him, take my offer, or hope for a better offer, what do you think will be in the best long term interest as a team? With my offer, at best you get a top six right wing, a middle pairing defenseman, and move up in the draft. At worst, Bennett doesn't stay healthy, Cole doesn't fit in your everyday six and he becomes a cheap buyout or trade....but you still get a better draft pick at the absolute least. For a solid but ultimately replaceable impending UFA. I don't think it's a bad offer
McGinn since 2011.

2011/2012 - 20 goals (78 games)
2012/2013 - 11 goals (47 games)
2013/2014 - 19 goals (79 games)
2014/2015 - 4 goals (19 games)
2015/2016 - 10 goals (50 games)

If we play the Drew Stafford and Evander Kane game he averages 19 goals per 82 games.

He is replaceable, but not easily.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
We don't give up anything I'd lement losing, we gain a D to replace one moving at the deadline, we get a potential forward replacement back who should come cheap when it's to sign him, and if he busts there's very little wasted in the transaction. Plus we will know if it's a bust long before a second round pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We don't give up anything I'd lement losing, we gain a D to replace one moving at the deadline, we get a potential forward replacement back who should come cheap when it's to sign him, and if he busts there's very little wasted in the transaction. Plus we will know if it's a bust long before a second round pick.

You're right. I'm fairly confident in calling him one right now.

I'd gladly take the small chance of a 2nd rounder turning out to be an impact player over someone like Bennett.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
You're right. I'm fairly confident in calling him one right now.

I'd gladly take the small chance of a 2nd rounder turning out to be an impact player over someone like Bennett.

his fenwick, corsi, p/60, zone starts are all positively comparable to McGinn and McGinn seams competent, what makes BB such an obvious bust?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
his fenwick, corsi, p/60, zone starts are all positively comparable to McGinn and McGinn seams competent, what makes BB such an obvious bust?

McGinn is good at cashing in on garbage goals. If he didn't do that he'd be pretty worthless. If BB decides to ever produce...lets talk. As of now he's done nothing to indicate he's going to amount to much in this league.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Um... Why did the debate focus around Bennett? I'd trade McGinn for Ian Cole straight up.

I get it. He's been terribad in Pitt. But he was a good bottom pairing defensemen in at Louis.

He's a 26 year old LD with 2 remaining years at affordable costs

The other two long shot assets are... Whatever. I don't mind a RW getting a fresh start here either.

You've got your heads too deep in the HF sand if you are poo pooing this offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad