What would it take for you to be okay with Dallas Eakins remaining as coach?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Krueger was a genius, but no one saw it, including me. His downfall was that he had no delusions about this team. His downfall was playing to win rather than pleasing his bosses who were overly gaga over our the promise of our "young talent". He knew the best system that worked with the guys we had. We just weren't a good team. The team was worse than we have now. Defensively terrible. Yet he coached us to 24th place.
Playing only western conference opponents by the way. Eakins has won just 15 of 53 games against the west now.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
I would get on my knees to get Kreuger back but there is now way a damn near $1b mkrt cap team would give him up.....

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Playing only western conference opponents by the way. Eakins has won just 15 of 53 games against the west now.

You'd also be surprised how few of those are regulation time W's. The picture only gets worse.

btw way in Eakins NHL career thus far only 22 regulation wins in 85GP. How horrendously bad is that?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
When is Eakins gonna use those magic powers he used on Kadri on our players? Wasn't kadri a 300 lb lazy pimply faced bum before he met the mighty Eakins? Then Eakins completely turned his life around taking him under his wing to teach Kadri there is more to life than dougnuts and passed on to Kadri the secrets of hockey and life that only a brilliant mind like Eakins could ever discover. We need some of that stuff around here.

Also, the thing about how MacT felt when he faced Eakins' team in the AHL the teams were always super prepared. Need a little dash of that too.

I know it's coming, MacT and Eakins both promised as much...maybe I'm just impatient wanting it in what will probably year 9 of the Oilers playoff appearance drought.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Is Eakins just ************?

"last year it would have been dissected ...there would have been slamming of doors..."

(arguing that it's a tight group and bench stuck through the LA loss this year as opposed to last year...)

madeup improvements
That might have been the most bizarre thing I've ever heard a coach say. Is he happy that his players don't show any emotion on his bench anymore? Instead of being upset about losing do they just take it calmly now and patiently wait for the game to end? I'm not sure I understood the point he was trying to make. Sounds like he's happy that there's no fight left in them.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Should read through the whole 30 pages... not what you would expect

Although I didn't post in that thread, and I don't think I was that active in ever calling for Krueger's head: Who thought they would not only hire another coach with ZERO NHL head coaching experience, but that he would turn out to be a complete moron and much worse than Krueger ever was.

Thanks Craig!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Although I didn't post in that thread, and I don't think I was that active in ever calling for Krueger's head: Who thought they would not only hire another coach with ZERO NHL head coaching experience, but that he would turn out to be a complete moron and much worse than Krueger ever was.

Thanks Craig!

Yeah, most Krueger talk now is relative to Eakins. Not sure how anyone can argue Eakins > Kruger at this point. Still, we needed a proven good NHL coach when we promoted Krueger (it would have been great to keep Krueger as an associate though because he was awesome at special teams) and we need one today. That hasn't changed.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
w5bl8Il.gif

EDIT: Why the hell are my gifs only working for a few seconds? Whenever I come back to a thread where I have posted one, it's gone.

EDIT 2: This is the gif at hand. http://i.imgur.com/w5bl8Il.gif

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I love how the PR staff drilled the consistency mantra into the players so even they believed that horse malarkey.

Good coaching is hard to find and even other rebuilds went through several before they found the right coach. One thing though, good coaching has an almost immediate effect on a team. A team becomes a well oiled machine pretty quickly when a quality coach gets a hold of it.

They should try out Nelson and send Eakins to the minors with the line "you didn't compete enough in training camp to keep your job in the big leagues".

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Is Eakins just ************?

"last year it would have been dissected ...there would have been slamming of doors..."

(arguing that it's a tight group and bench stuck through the LA loss this year as opposed to last year...)

madeup improvements

These are the patented sounds of Dead coaches walking.

Things like;

"little improvements"

"never gave up"

"played well until"

"build on positives"

"learn from this"

"stuck it through"

"showed character"

and so on.

The funny thing is this is happening already 3 games into the season, Eakins clueless what to do and grasping at positivity straws and everybody except managment knows it.

The Oilers gave up tonight before the puck was dropped. It was 2-0 at the 4min mark. Think about that.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I remember in the dark ages of the Tom Renney years when they were losing games on a nightly basis - not much has changed lol - and all you'd hear in the post-game interviews was the "learning experience" spiel and other namby pamby crap. I thought we'd be past that by 2014.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I remember in the dark ages of the Tom Renney years when they were losing games on a nightly basis - not much has changed lol - and all you'd hear in the post-game interviews was the "learning experience" spiel and other namby pamby crap. I thought we'd be past that by 2014.

Renney had a legitimate excuse to talk like that. He had two rookies on his top line. The team he was stuck with was terrible and management wanted to bomb and draft super high. Eakins and Mact thought they were going to make the playoffs last year.. Their team is subpar but much better than Renneys roster.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Krueger was Eakins except without the silly tough guy act.

Renney was the last coach this team had who actually know anything about players and matchups.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Krueger was way better coach then Eakins , at least he had his players believe they could win and get better. Eakins is polar opposite thinks the way you get through to players is to punish them to try harder. This does not work in today's NHL. He will have us out of playoffs by nov 1st again . He has no clue what he is doing has Pejorative Slured instincts 0 game plan .

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Krueger was way better coach then Eakins , at least he had his players believe they could win and get better. Eakins is polar opposite thinks the way you get through to players is to punish them to try harder. This does not work in today's NHL. He will have us out of playoffs by nov 1st again . He has no clue what he is doing has Pejorative Slured instincts 0 game plan .

So he was a better motivational speaker... this should be obvious, given that he's written a book about it.

In terms of understanding NHL hockey they're both terrible. Eakins has the AHL, Krueger has Europe. That's where they should both be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad