What would it take for you to be okay with Dallas Eakins remaining as coach?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
So he was a better motivational speaker... this should be obvious, given that he's written a book about it.

In terms of understanding NHL hockey they're both terrible. Eakins has the AHL, Krueger has Europe. That's where they should both be.

I was ok with Krueger being let go (wasn't pushing for it, but wasn't railing against it either), but if memory serves me correctly, wasn't he the best thing to happen to the Oilers' PP in like... forever?

Eakins' effect on the PP, however ...

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
Look at the bright side. At least the team is doing great on the Eakins fitness regime.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I was ok with Krueger being let go (wasn't pushing for it, but wasn't railing against it either), but if memory serves me correctly, wasn't he the best thing to happen to the Oilers' PP in like... forever?

Eakins' effect on the PP, however ...

Krueger's PP didn't generate shots and didn't generate chances, yet somehow generated goals.

It was basically the Colorado Avalanche of power plays over a shortened season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Krueger's PP didn't generate shots and didn't generate chances, yet somehow generated goals.

It was basically the Colorado Avalanche of power plays over a shortened season.

It wasn't just a shortened season though.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
What I can deal with as a player. A coach that:
- Is tough
- Has high expectations and will call a player out who is not meeting them
- Not my friend
- Will sit me if I am not playing well
- Is brutally honest

What I can not deal with as a player. A coach that:
- Thinks he is better than everyone else
- Plays favourites
- Sits people based on his preconceived notions
- Is not willing to listen to anyone else
- Is a liar
- Will only call out players he does not like

Wake the F up MacT. How anyone can come to work everyday and play for this clown is beyond me. It is showing and will not get better.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
If he would
- Get the team to playoffs
- Cut his hair
- Bench players who are actually playing like ****

After those I would consider...

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
What I can deal with as a player. A coach that:
- Is tough
- Has high expectations and will call a player out who is not meeting them
- Not my friend
- Will sit me if I am not playing well
- Is brutally honest

What I can not deal with as a player. A coach that:
- Thinks he is better than everyone else
- Plays favourites
- Sits people based on his preconceived notions
- Is not willing to listen to anyone else
- Is a liar
- Will only call out players he does not like

Wake the F up MacT. How anyone can come to work everyday and play for this clown is beyond me. It is showing and will not get better.

great post seriously..

let's expand on that.. he sits, and tells the player and the media LIES about his recent performance to facilitate excuse to play the favorites

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Interesting. We've lost by 4 goals or more 13 times under Eakins now. Won by 4 or more 5 times under him.

In the 2 seasons before Eakins took over we lost by 4 or more only 4 times (2 under Krueger during the Western conference meat grinder, 2 in Renney's last season)! Won by 4 or more 10 times in those 2 seasons (Krueger 6, Renney 4).

Eakins is the king of getting blown out. Congrats to him. Someone should give him a trophy.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Interesting. We've lost by 4 goals or more 13 times under Eakins now. Won by 4 or more 5 times under him.

In the 2 seasons before Eakins took over we lost by 4 or more only 4 times (2 under Krueger during the Western conference meat grinder, 2 in Renney's last season)! Won by 4 or more 10 times in those 2 seasons (Krueger 6, Renney 4).

Eakins is the king of getting blown out. Congrats to him. Someone should give him a trophy.

Those are some ugly stats. I miss Ralph.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
People will be all outraged by my 'unproveable' speculation but I feel Eakins is Charley McCarthy to MacT's Edgar Bergen. MacT fell in love with this guy over a short period of time and sees Eakins as his mini me. I would bet that one reason he loves the guy is that Eakins asks for macT's opinion on just about everything.

The coach and management group have shown they have just as much trouble dealing with depth on the team as having none.

It seems the stratagem for this season was to in essence treat the 1st 1/4 of the season as an extended ex season because they can't figure out who they want on the team.

Three games in an already too many major fails:

- Ridiculously sending Marincin to the minors.
- Keeping Nurse and Klefbom up and sitting them in the press box then feeling obligated to make room for Nurse and play him.
- One goalie looks good in the ex season and ready to play, the other doesn't so obvioulsy you start the guy struggling game one.
- As usual doing their very best to diminish a player resource by benching Petry. Like Gagner they had a chance to move him previous to this and they looked like they had no long range plan for him, now lets lower his value as much as possible.
- The defensive version of toby Peterson, Reddox, Marty Sakic in Hunt a 'gem' discovered by mact.
- The totally ill fated decsion of picking a captain that very quickly becomes lower roster and now you can't sit him.
- Can't swallow pride and press box the guys that should be press boxed (nikitin) because he is one of mact's boys.
- Idiotic ignoring of the biggest weakness on the team (center) and faulty theory spouted by many that we can 'shelter or protect' guys like Draisitl. Road match ups mean he either plays 10 mins a game or gets killed by big vet centers.

People calling to Eakins to be canned have to realize that if he goes MacT goes behind the bench and nothing will change, he proved in his previous tenure he has no clue how to get the best out of players that do not nicely fit into his idea of what an nhler will be like.

The one big cliche that gets tossed around so often but 100% applies to this team is that 'They are in denial.' They can't fathom that despite checking off all the boxes that good teams check off that the team is this bad. They can't figure out that it's more important who is in these postions rather than just the existence of these positions.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
People will be all outraged by my 'unproveable' speculation but I feel Eakins is Charley McCarthy to MacT's Edgar Bergen. MacT fell in love with this guy over a short period of time and sees Eakins as his mini me. I would bet that one reason he loves the guy is that Eakins asks for macT's opinion on just about everything.

The coach and management group have shown they have just as much trouble dealing with depth on the team as having none.

It seems the stratagem for this season was to in essence treat the 1st 1/4 of the season as an extended ex season because they can't figure out who they want on the team.

- Keeping Nurse and Klefbom up and sitting them in the press box then feeling obligated to make room for Nurse and play him.
- One goalie looks good in the ex season and ready to play, the other doesn't so obvioulsy you start the guy struggling game one.
- As usual doing their very best to diminish a player resource by benching Petry. Like Gagner they had a chance to move him previous to this and they looked like they had no long range plan for him, now lets lower his value as much as possible.
- The defensive version of toby Peterson, Reddox, Marty Sakic in Hunt a 'gem' discovered by mact.
- The totally ill fated decsion of picking a captain that very quickly becomes lower roster and now you can't sit him.
- Can't swallow pride and press box the guys that should be press boxed (nikitin) because he is one of mact's boys.
- Idiotic ignoring of the biggest weakness on the team (center) and faulty theory spouted by many that we can 'shelter or protect' guys like Draisitl. Road match ups mean he either plays 10 mins a game or gets killed by big vet centers.

People calling to Eakins to be canned have to realize that if he goes MacT goes behind the bench and nothing will change, he proved in his previous tenure he has no clue how to get the best out of players that do not nicely fit into his idea of what an nhler will be like.

The one big cliche that gets tossed around so often but 100% applies to this team is that 'They are in denial.' They can't fathom that despite checking off all the boxes that good teams check off that the team is this bad. They can't figure out that it's more important who is in these postions rather than just the existence of these positions.

Excellent post and your statement of having as much trouble with having depth as not having it is so true. This team is just a clueless disaster from top to bottom. I can't believe this team could have a cap penalty next year if Drai and Yak get ~ half their bonuses.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Nailed it

the Oilers brass have convinced themselves that this is a decent team

-they've convinced themselves that Draisaitl is NHL-ready...despite the fact he only got 1 assist in pre-season
-they've convinced themselves that the center depth is good enough...there's a reason MacT refused to sign or trade for another center, having a 21 year old weak center and an 18 year old rookie is "good enough" in the top 6....inexcusable
-they've already traded Jeff Petry, a good d-man they've developed for the past 7 seasons...it's just a matter of which team gets the fruits of our labour...we're probably gonna get picks and a depth forward for him at best
-they've convinced themselves that Klefbom is better than Marincin, despite play and stats saying otherwise

frankly, looks good on management to get burned for baffling decisions

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Will Acton?? I mean Will freakin Acton!!?????

Not entirely the reason we suck, just an example of why our coach sucks.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
There's absolutely nothing he can do that would make me consider keeping him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm fine with eakins lasting the season since he is a lame duck coach anyway and this is a lame duck season. However he should be fired on the first day the regular season ends.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I've decided to be pro-Eakins now. Finally we can see the light at the end of the tunnel but we need to keep Eakins to get there. I think Eakins can ruin this team enough that Lowe is finally forced to leave or voluntarily leave the organization. Eakins is our only hope for this team to truly take the next step to one day being a successful again.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the goal is to land McDavid or Eichel then fine keep him, but not only should he be fired, but Lowe and Mac T with him.

I'm sorry but what the **** has Mac T done that's so great? He totally blew this hire and has to own it now. The only great move he's made is getting Perron from the Blues because of cap issues.

If Katz has such a hard on for the old boys club then hire Gretzky in a paper position like a team adivsor but hire a *real* GM to actually mold the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad