What Would It Mean If The Haslams Bought The Jackets?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You mean the people who signed Deshaun Watson to that horrific contract?

No thanks.

I think the long term goal is a Haslam president. Or multiple Haslam presidents. They will buy sports teams and endear themselves to voters in several states. I think they are done in Ohio.
No thanks. Wouldn’t ever vote for any of them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I didn’t say it would work. It just looks like the Haslams want to branch out of truck stops into sports team ownership and politics. One was governor of Tennessee.
Well there are also shady business practices with the Pilot truck stops as well too so that's another reason buyer should beware.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Unless money is an issue, not sure about this. And I am unaware of any money issues.

The person Haslam aside, his tenure as the Browns owner has been successful (in a relative sense.. low bar). The team is competitive, they seem to have hired a competent staff for the first time in my life. But that Watson contract is such a horrific decision that it throws everything else into question. Not only has he been extremely disappointing, but he's literally a piece of shit and that contract is the worst contract in the history of the league. It's untradeable and they pay him like $90 bazillion if they cut him. Absolute f***ing insanity. And the biggest irony of all... they're still a QB away from being a contender.

Reactions: squashmaple

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i don't know if i'd go so far as to call the current CBJ ownership good, but the business side of the organization seems pretty stagnant. lots of folks (particularly mike priest) have been there since the beginning and they seem pretty content to just exist in their niche.

obviously the grass is always greener, but i do often wonder how the franchise would benefit from more active/eager ownership, like the haslams.
You mean the people who signed Deshaun Watson to that horrific contract?

No thanks.
as far as franchise owners go, the haslams are a fascinating case study.

bought the browns and made a ton of unforced errors (meddling in the draft process to get manziel, hastily pushing through a rebrand everyone hated, etc.) but eventually ended up turning the team around, only to make an even bigger unforced error with the watson trade/contract.

meanwhile, as (co-)owners of the crew, they've been model team owners. helped secure/build an incredible new building, put together the best management staff in the league, made huge investments in the roster (lucas, cucho) and won two titles. they also hastily pushed through a rebrand that everyone hated lol

i do think the jackets would be pretty isolated from jimmy's impulsiveness, though. he's a football guy through and through, which is why he's meddled in the browns affairs to get manziel and watson. he hasn't done that with the crew, and i doubt he knows enough about hockey to do that here.
No thanks. Wouldn’t ever vote for any of them.
jimmy should be in prison for fraud anyway.

that said, most sports owners are crooks and degenerates, but it's not a problem unless the checks bounce (hence merulo)

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
A least the Haslams have experience with Sports Ownership.
I would see it as an upgrade. Are folks worried he's going to move the Crew to Cleveland?

Reactions: DJA

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Joel Quenneville is a good coach, but I wouldn’t want him behind the bench for character reasons. I suppose Haslam could be an upgrade at ownership but I’ll pass because of character issues.

I realize to some that’s unimportant, but it matters to me - even at the possible cost of wins.

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A least the Haslams have experience with Sports Ownership.
I would see it as an upgrade. Are folks worried he's going to move the Crew to Cleveland?
As far as I'm concerned, the owner's job in today's society is just to get the fans to pay for everything, write checks only when they have to, and hire the right people to do the job.

The Haslam's have had a spotty record at point number 3. They got lucky with the Crew because of Bezbechenko. He's the mastermind of the organization and a local hometown guy that fell into their lap at the right time.

I'm a Bengals fan but as pointed out, Jimmy has made a bunch of dumb moves and hires for the Browns where he changed GM's like he changed his underwear. Maybe once again he was a blind squirrel who found a nut with their current GM. They aren't hockey people so how would there be any confidence in them finding the right people if they owned a hockey team?

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad