What would have to occur to have a bench-clearing brawl these days?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is it only the first guy off the bench that gets the 10 gamer?

I could see something towards the end of the year, a team completely out of it goes after the other playoff teams star player. Or something where the team that has nothing to play for jumps first. For example late in the year Colorado Edmonton, Lucic decks Mackinnon with a horrible hit. Some Avs scrub jumps on and goes after McDavid in retaliation, and then all hell breaks loose.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Someone would have to get killed.

I've seen every Leafs rookie take dirty hits, hell Kane punched Anderson to the side of his head yesterday and no one did ****.

Hockey has become *********, "oh take the 2 minute pp and don't stick up for your team," I get that to some extent, but it's just a joke when you have guys getting hit from behind, getting punched in the head and have all sorts of liberties taken on them and nothing is done.

ziggo66

Mar 1, 2006
Franconia
In case nobody has looked it up yet, the most recent bench-clearing brawl was 25 years ago, April 29, 1992, Rangers vs. Devils.

List here:

http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/BenchClearingBrawls.aspx?League=1
And the last time the benches truly "emptied" was in the 1986-87 season. The later stuff happend after the final buzzer or during warm-ups.
I can only see it happening when someone does something really stupid well after a game is over and both teams are on the ice.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Or what would it take today for a player to scale the glass and beat a fan over the head with his own shoe?

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Or what would it take today for a player to scale the glass and beat a fan over the head with his own shoe?

A foolish owner would have to hire Mike Milbury as a GM again, and then a team injury crisis would have to get so severe that he signed himself to a one-day contract.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
curtis mcelhinney gets snowed twice this game, nothing done, just a total joke league now, go be a POS and no one cares.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
curtis mcelhinney gets snowed twice this game, nothing done, just a total joke league now, go be a POS and no one cares.

Snowed twice in one game? I can't even believe he survived all that lightly frozen water misting his face and equipment. Has he been released from the hospital yet? Suspension incoming or automatic lifetime ban?

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Last times off the top of my head I can remember players illegally leaving the bench to join a brawl would be Clarkson in 2013 after Scott started a fight with Kessel and Godard leaving the bench to go after Haley when he started a fight with Brent Johnson in 2011 in that famous Isles-Pens brawl game. In past decades, this would probably have been enough to clear the benches; it would have been a domino effect. Nowadays though, even on the rare occasion where one player leaves the bench, that's usually the end of it. Both Godard and Clarkson got 10 games for their respective actions.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Last times off the top of my head I can remember players illegally leaving the bench to join a brawl would be Clarkson in 2013 after Scott started a fight with Kessel and Godard leaving the bench to go after Haley when he started a fight with Brent Johnson in 2011 in that famous Isles-Pens brawl game. In past decades, this would probably have been enough to clear the benches; it would have been a domino effect. Nowadays though, even on the rare occasion where one player leaves the bench, that's usually the end of it. Both Godard and Clarkson got 10 games for their respective actions.

And that's the reason- that 10 game automatic suspension was put in specifically to stop bench-clearing brawls from happening, and it's been successful in doing that.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
it would have to be in the pre-game warm up ( like the flyers and the habs, oh how I miss 1987). The la-calgary pregame looked like it was a powder keg before puck drop that could have gone boom. sadly it didnt ( and started with a guy wanting to fight and another skating away)

That's not really a bench clearing, but lots of guys would have been able to go. Most teams would need I'm guessing at least 4 guys who can throw in order to get critical mass to bring in the non fighters which I think calgary and la would meet the threshold.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Snowed twice in one game? I can't even believe he survived all that lightly frozen water misting his face and equipment. Has he been released from the hospital yet? Suspension incoming or automatic lifetime ban?

My friend .. you have mastered the art of sarcasm. Well done, sir haha

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Closest thing I can remember in today's NHL is that Pittsburgh vs Islanders game where Haley and Gillies were off their meds screaming at injured players and challenging goalies to fights. If I remember right, someone actually did leave the bench from the Pens to protect their backup goalie Brent Johnson.

Full video below:

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Hmmm maybe a goalie getting attacked?

What would be the current NHL rules applied to all the players responsible for leaving the bench to partake in said brawl? They can't all be suspended, right?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Hmmm maybe a goalie getting attacked?

What would be the current NHL rules applied to all the players responsible for leaving the bench to partake in said brawl? They can't all be suspended, right?

You gonna suspend two full NHL rosters for 10 games? Probably not. Maybe the first guy to jump the boards on each team gets the suspension, but it's hard for the players not to justify it once both teams start emptying out.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You gonna suspend two full NHL rosters for 10 games? Probably not. Maybe the first guy to jump the boards on each team gets the suspension, but it's hard for the players not to justify it once both teams start emptying out.

Or if on a 5-3 both guys on the three team get double teamed, once one guy jumps the floodgates could open.

But my best bet is still in the pregame. All we need is someone to shoot a puck into an unguarded net in the pregame and then it's on like donkey Kong ( hey I said I yearned for 87)

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The only thing I could think of is if an odd numbered line brawl broke out... and the team with less players on the ice ended up having some star player get double teamed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad