What would an offer sheet for Tyler Toffoli look like

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I was kind of hoping someone knew of some loop holes or something. I know the picks we would give up are based on the average of the contract. I was just wondering if there was any way to front load or use signing bonuses similar to what the Bills have been doing.

Big difference between the NFL and NHL with the cap and its rules. With the NHL its just the averge salary and you cant shift it. With the NFL you can move around bonus money to any year you want.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I'm having a rash just about thinking adding M-Richards or D.Brown. You just don't want to get yourself screwed by taking a contract like those are.

If we're going the offer-sheet route, I rather see us offer-sheeting Brandon Saad than Tyler Toffoli. He's more versatile and proven, plays also tougher minutes than Toffoli, and Chicago is going to be even in a worse cap crunch than Kings.

I LOvE Saad. I'm not sure what the dollar amount on an offer sheet would make it unmatchable by the Hawks due to their cap constraints. They've got a week to match, they'd be desperately trying to trade off Sharp, Shaw, Bickell, or maybe even Crawford just to free up the space. Only way they don't match is if they can't get anyone to bite on those deals within that week.. The Hawks see Saad as their Hossa replacement.

Guessing it's take at least 5mil per for the offer sheet.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't find it too likely Saad signs an offer sheet to come to Buffalo for a $5 million AAV. If he's going to leave a contender where he plays a starring role for a team coming to the end of a rebuild, it's going to be for more $$$ and a long term.

I think we're probably looking at the high end of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick compensation territory (roughly $6.7 million) just to get him to sign, and I don't believe he's worth that much of a return...our next 1st round pick could be top five and will pretty likely be top ten.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I don't find it too likely Saad signs an offer sheet to come to Buffalo for a $5 million AAV. If he's going to leave a contender where he plays a starring role for a team coming to the end of a rebuild, it's going to be for more $$$ and a long term.

I think we're probably looking at the high end of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick compensation territory (roughly $6.7 million) just to get him to sign, and I don't believe he's worth that much of a return...our next 1st round pick could be top five and will pretty likely be top ten.

Yea that's steep. I'd gladly pay 2017 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for Saad but that's not how it works... The 2016 1st is just too valuable. Particularly with the new lottery rules & having Matthews, Chychrun, & Puljujarvi on the table next year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yea that's steep. I'd gladly pay 2017 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for Saad but that's not how it works... The 2016 1st is just too valuable. Particularly with the new lottery rules & having Matthews, Chychrun, & Puljujarvi on the table next year.

Great point...three chances to get into the top 3 starting next year. Imagine having to suffer through this kind of uncertainty *during* the draft not knowing if you're going to be bumped down to #4 even after finishing 30th.

Next year is gonna suck unless we're comfortably above top three territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad