What would an offer sheet for Tyler Toffoli look like

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
With all the talk that the Sabres could offer sheet him, how would it be structured so that the Kings would not match it and the Sabres would give up the least amount of picks?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Assume the Sabres don't risk a potentially top-10 pick in their own barn next year, you're left with a max of 3.36m per year, which la obv matches

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Assume the Sabres don't risk a potentially top-10 pick in their own barn next year, you're left with a max of 3.36m per year, which la obv matches

I was kind of hoping someone knew of some loop holes or something. I know the picks we would give up are based on the average of the contract. I was just wondering if there was any way to front load or use signing bonuses similar to what the Bills have been doing.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I was kind of hoping someone knew of some loop holes or something. I know the picks we would give up are based on the average of the contract. I was just wondering if there was any way to front load or use signing bonuses similar to what the Bills have been doing.

They could try that to bully out a cash-poor team, but LA wouldn't have an issue there

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, be prepared to give up at least a first and a third. Here's the chart:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/484009107272519680/photo/1

Not sure how comfortable I am giving that up for TT. I like him a lot as a player, but its too much of an unknown what our roster will look like next year. If we somehow get RoR, McDavid, and sign some free agents, then maybe that wouldn't sting so bad.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

There are no loopholes....you can sign him and offer a trade that is the only other way around draft picks.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've been on board with the Toffoli offersheet before.

I still like the idea of eating the Mike Richards contract as part of a trade deal, with the threat of an offersheet looming.

Or maybe... Dustin Brown?

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
IF they really wanted to do it, I could see a 5x5 contract (1st and 3rd) or max 5x5.5 (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) but I doubt they do anything that could lose them their 1st. We in all likelihood will still be a bottom 10 team next year, and with the new lotto rules, you never know if that 10 could turn into 1, 2, or 3. And with the draft here in Buffalo (I know, not a major concern, might not even be any concern to TM), I just don't see it happening

Karate Johnson*

I would love to make some offer sheet moves in the future.

Not this offseason though. There is too much a chance to be a really good pick next year, especially with the dopey new lottery.

Not with the draft in Buffalo next year. Too much a risk of it backfiring because of the reason stated above.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Offer sheets are just too much of a problem. Too much to pay to price out the current team. Too much chance of instigating bad blood between GMs. In Toffoli's case I doubt LA let's him go and I doubt he'll be worth the price as a winger.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
That's never been a reasonable argument for not pursuing an offer sheet

Completely agree; it's a baseless concern.

For starters, a club can sign an upcoming RFA to an extension at any time after January 1. The player cannot sign an offer sheet until the day after the draft anyways, so that's almost a 7 month period to get something done. If a team is worried about a player getting offer sheeted, they have tons of time to take care of things.

Past that, it's a perfectly valid process per the CBA. Worrying that another GM might 'get mad' and offer sheet a player in return out of spite is silly.

Presten

Feb 21, 2010
Berlin
I've been on board with the Toffoli offersheet before.

I still like the idea of eating the Mike Richards contract as part of a trade deal, with the threat of an offersheet looming.

Or maybe... Dustin Brown?

What do you think we have to give up in a deal for TT/Richards or one with Brown involved?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What do you think we have to give up in a deal for TT/Richards or one with Brown involved?

I have no idea, it's such an incomparable hypothetical.

I'd say, if LA were interested it would be for NOW pieces, and not the picks they'd get from an offersheet.

But then you need to offset that with the negative value Richsrds holds.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Yes. If they player is an elite cornerstone piece, you're going to pay him big money anyways.

this is the biggest point, who they gonna offer sheet?

Risto, gonna get paid anyway
McEichel, gonna get paid anyway
Girgensons, gonna get paid anyway
Reinhart, gonna get paid anyway

the only players that really could get poached are guys like Pysyk and McCabe, and theyre not really the quality of player that you hit with dangerous offersheets

we are 4-5 years from being a team with serious cap concerns, and we become a cap concern team at that point because everyone you'd want to buy out is getting their prime years contract

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Dustin Brown is a 30 year old 30 point winger with 7 years left on his deal at $5.875M. 7 years

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I'm having a rash just about thinking adding M-Richards or D.Brown. You just don't want to get yourself screwed by taking a contract like those are.

If we're going the offer-sheet route, I rather see us offer-sheeting Brandon Saad than Tyler Toffoli. He's more versatile and proven, plays also tougher minutes than Toffoli, and Chicago is going to be even in a worse cap crunch than Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad