What Will This Team Look Like in 2020?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If Shanahan doesn't start the rebuild soon, in 2020 this team will still be a mess!

#FireShanahan

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
It's really anyone's guess at this point for the 2020 roster

JVR - McDavid - Brown
Nylander - Kadri - Leivo
2017 1st round pick - Freddy the Goat - Panik
Return from Kessel trade - Carrick - Clarkson

Rielly - 2016 1st round pick
Percy - Valiev
Loov - Return from Phaneuf trade

We traded everything else to get a starting Goalie, because Bernier retired due to Clarkson falling on top of him. The shockwave from the collision also caused Lupul to get a career ending lower body injury, before we could get a return for him.
- Bibeau

While the above may be a fantasy, the development of young players/draft picks better not be. Tired of signing David Booth type UFA's, time to play the ****ing young players and build a ****ing team the right way!!!

TorNsh*

JVR - Strome - _____
Kadri - Nylander - _____
_____ - Gauthier - Leivo
_____ - Carrick - _____

HM: Johnson, Brown, future draft picks, etc.

Rielly - _____
Percy - _____
Loov - Granberg

HM: Finn, Valiev, future draft picks, etc.

Bernier
Bibeau

OR (POTENTIALLY)

JVR - Strome - Nylander
Kadri - O'Reilly - _____
_____ - Gauthier - Leivo
_____ - Carrick - _____

Rielly - _____
Percy - _____
Loov - Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

91Kadri91*

Ideally we have McDavid but we might be drafting Strome.

But down the line:

---- Strome/McDavid/Marner -----
Leivo-Nylander-----
-----Gauthier------

Not entirely sure about the 4th line. But I could see Connor Brown playing on the first line. Great prospect. Andreas Johnson is doing well in the Swedish league. Him on a checking third line with Gauthier is ideal. Drafting a defence man in the next draft (Day would be the best case scenario especially if we're going to be that bad) and a good winger prospect in the one after and we're good for the top 6 for the future. Rielly, Percy, Day (or whoever is best at defence at the pick we have in 2016) in the back. We can start fillling in the bottom six with fill in Marlies while the prospects develop and by 2018-2019 while the cap is hopefully more clear (Phaneuf and Kessel will obviously be gone by then), we can fill the spots with actual talent from free agency and start to contend.

Chychrun is a significantly better prospect.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think half the KHL will try out spots on this team - if oil prices keep tanking - look for the Russian invasion redux.

LeafsFIO*

IMO I'd love to see a big, mean d-man to play with Rielly by then. Re-create Neidermayer-Pronger and the rest of the defence can be put in place from there.

Draft a good two-way #1 center, maybe a Strome or someone. Pick up a 1b center via free agency.

The rest of the framework can be put together easily, especially if they get a top goaltender.

I like Sean Day but Chychrun is head-and-shoulders better, if we someone got him, wow.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Well early draft projections for 2016 have Day above him. What makes Chy better?

Well, there's people posting their rankings for the 2016 NHL draft and most of them have Chychrun over Day. For example...

I think next year is a 3 way race between Chychrun, Puljujarvi and Mathews for first overall. All three have franchise changing potential from what I've seen and heard of them. Benson is in a tier just below these guys. As for possible elite players past the 2016 draft, Xavier Parent and Joseph Veleno come to mind. You should also check out Nolan Patrick

1. Matthews
2. Chychrun
3. Laine
4. Kirwan
5. Day

To me, Auston Matthews is the clear #1 for the moment!

one77

Dec 22, 2013
JVR - Strome (A) - Nylander
Brown - Kadri - ROR
Komarov - Gauthier - X
X - Holland - X

Rielly (C) - Jones (A)
Percy - X
Loov - Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Despite their play as of late, the Leafs (for the first time in a long time) actually have some young players to look forward to in the near future. With core players like Phaneuf, Kessel, and Bozak rumoured to be on the block, along with the strong chance of picking in the top 5 of this year's draft, the Leafs have finally put themselves in decent position to become a good young team within the next couple of years.

What do you think (roughly) the opening night lineup will look like for the 2019-2020 season, given the above?

The suckiest bunch of sucks to ever suck. :sarcasm:

I really don't know honestly I usually have trouble looking 2 days ahead let alone 5 years.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Given this organization's track record...........they will probably be bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad