NBA What will the league look like in 5 years?

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Simple question what do you guys think the league will look like in 5 years? What teams at the top and which at the bottom? What players will be elite/franchise defining and who will have trailed off? This is how I see the league as a European who watches 5-6 games a week.
Some of my predictions:
-Lebron retires after 1 year playing with whichever team drafts his oldest son. He ends up signing a 10 day contract the next year and retires a Cavalier
-Nuggets are the best team in the west, Mavericks and Clippers just below them. Teams at the bottom of the west include the Warriors, Spurs, and OKC.
-The best team in the east is the 76ers followed by the Bucks and Celtics. Pacers are back near the bottom of the table after Oladipo leaves (prediction). Raptors are mid table, fighting for playoff spot. Bulls are back in the playoff hunt and Pistons are the worst team in the league
-Top players: Booker, Doncic, Simmons, Taytum, Kuzma, Jokic, Giannis, D-Lo, Embiid, Markannen, Marvin Bagley, “(unknown franchise player)”
- I predict another superstar/franchise player will emerge in 5-6 years and get Jordan level hype. Can shoot, pass, defend, rebound. Will end up in bringing about a dynasty and become the topic that is talked about everyday (kinda like How LBj is now).

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Rockets will be going for title #5 in a row. Don't like their chances for #5 because Kings look ridiculously good.

Reactions: Ivan13

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It will be competitive again because Lebron will be retired and Star players will want to lead their own teams to championships again. You will be seen as a loser if you make a super team unless you've been in the league for a while.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Adam Silver will ruin the league. Although the quality of play is down now compared to the 1979-2002 period due to all the one and doners (even Jordan played 3 years of college), it will be down even more, because 18 year olds will go straight from high school to the NBA/G League. Coach K (and other top college coaches over 60) will retire from college coaching to do other things. Although the NBA is my favorite sport to watch, at this point I will retire from watching the NBA (it's been a half century of watching now), and watch other sports.

LeBron won't win ring #4 and people will start to realize that Jordan, Magic, Kobe, and Duncan were better than LeBron.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
LeBron won't win ring #4 and people will start to realize that Jordan, Magic, Kobe, and Duncan were better than LeBron.

That will be another never ending dispute, with many topics about it.

Ist there any danger, that in 5 years there will be lockout?

Anyway, im a little bit surprised, that the oldest son of LeBron is so old. Or maybe im old. :)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
People already know that clear as day. When Jordan came into the league I don't think there was a high school rule. It wasn't until after LeBron came into the league that they changed it .

darko

Feb 16, 2009
People already know that clear as day. When Jordan came into the league I don't think there was a high school rule. It wasn't until after LeBron came into the league that they changed it .

Only Jordan is better than Bron.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
In 5 years we'll all be living in Giannis' world because
a. There's nobody in his age group on his level
b. The Harden, KD, Westbrook, Curry, etc era will be pretty much over.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Adam Silver will ruin the league. Although the quality of play is down now compared to the 1979-2002 period due to all the one and doners (even Jordan played 3 years of college), it will be down even more, because 18 year olds will go straight from high school to the NBA/G League. Coach K (and other top college coaches over 60) will retire from college coaching to do other things. Although the NBA is my favorite sport to watch, at this point I will retire from watching the NBA (it's been a half century of watching now), and watch other sports.

Greatest is a different debate, but you said "better". None of those players were better than LeBron. LeBron is the best player in NBA history.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Greatest is a different debate, but you said "better". None of those players were better than LeBron. LeBron is the best player in NBA history.
What makes those players better is that they all lead their teams to dynasties. They stayed in one place and they all have more impressive career's. LeBron is mentally weak compared to those players.

What exactly makes Lebron the best in history? because history has shown there are a lot of players who were more successful than him and more exciting to watch.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
lebron is a top 3 all time player

but he'll never be better than MJ

At this point I would say LeBron has passed Magic and Bird on that list but is still behind Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, for modern day players at least. Kareem and Russel are kind of in a different category because the game was centred around the big man.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
At this point I would say LeBron has passed Magic and Bird on that list but is still behind Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, for modern day players at least. Kareem and Russel are kind of in a different category because the game was centred around the big man.

lebron has passed kareem for me but still behind MJ and magic

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
lebron has passed kareem for me but still behind MJ and magic
LeBron has a huge importance to his team but in the League he is one of many super talented players. Jordan was always on the top of the list and everyone new that.

I think LeBron's size and athleticism makes up for some of his deficiencies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
- Led by a youthful core of Doncic, Porzingis and the pickup of another big star, the Mavericks rule over the western conference with an iron fist. (Completely out of left field prediction; Devin Booker

- The Raptors do what was thought to be the impossible and hold on to Kawhi Leonard, making and winning an NBA Finals after the Warriors dynasty falls apart

- After failing to win jack**** with LeBron, the Lakers go through a re-rebuild, falling even further into the shadow of their former glory

- The Spurs reach the end of the road, Popovich steps down and retires. DeRozan and LMA are traded and the Spurs embrace the abyss for the first time in 20+ years, beginning a years long stay at the bottom of the league

- The Bulls hit the jackpot and win this year's draft lottery, allowing them to select Zion. Led by Zion, Markkanen and LaVine, the Bulls become a powerhouse in a eastern conference that sees themselves, the Sixers, Raptors and the Bucks fighting for top spot

- The Knicks still suck and in a hilarious turn of events, players who want the glitz and glamor of playing in NYC begin to sign with Brooklyn

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
His biceps.

Lebron's personal trainer:

3915647800000578-3821224-Valdir_Segato_as_he_is_now-a-56_1475579686471.jpg

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden