What will success be?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
TO will be playing Mtl. in the playoffs which hasn't happened in like forever so is it enough that TO beats Mtl.?

Will it be enough for TO to beat which ever opponent in the 2nd round?

Will this be enough to to satisfy the hard core fans or should we justifiably expect more?

TO has pretty well gone all in this year's playoffs and nowhere is that more evident than in the next two drafts as TO could end up with only 5 total choices for those drafts.

Last year TO lost to Columbus in the qualifier and therefore was considered to be nonqualified for those playoffs. During those games Andersen and TO allowed 2.4 goals per game against which should have been good enough to win the series but TO could only muster 2 goals per game for which isn't enough to win any series. TO now has an abundance of depth to probably be even stingier in the playoffs but has enough been done to improve the offense? No matter how awesome the d is every team must score to win.

Essentially TO has replaced Johnsson and Kappy with Nash and Foligno who have managed 9 goals this year so the question is can their intangibles, rather than real offensive potential contributions, be a proper upgrade that will allow TO score enough to win any series against teams that can defend.

Personally I feel that Foligno and Nash were overkill for the defense, TO could have needed either as depth but TO mostly needed quality offensive production, better scorers, better forwards than Johnsson and Kappy such as Hall or Palmeri.

It won't be enough but I expect that should TO make it past the first 2 rounds, we should be prepared to be satisfied even if TO doesn't go any further.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They must win at least the North division.
I would love the cup but I don’t think they are a cup team at this point

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
For me, I look at getting out of the North Division, making the final 4, a must for this season to not be seen as a major disappointment. For it to be a SUCCESS, we would need to at least make the Stanley Cup Final. If we don’t win the cup but make the finals, it would be heartbreaking, but I would still consider it a success. Up until now, we haven’t even won a single playoff series.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Goal is cup.

Anything less than the conference finals is a disappoinment.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think the Leafs can and should beat any other team they face ... however, the biggest roadblock will if they have to get past whichever of the "southeast" teams emerges from that division: Florida, TB, Carolina.

Vegas & Colorado are very good, but Toronto has the personnel to beat them - another way of saying that I think the Leafs are a better team than either. Pittsburgh would be a challenge, Boston is Boston and the Islanders can "Columbus" this team, but I still like the Leafs in any of those match-ups.

But regardless of how people rank the teams this year I don't see any team as a big favourite over the Leafs (a full healthy, motivated TB would be the closest), and so there is no excuse: Underdogs win in the playoffs every year, and the Leafs have already had several cracks at being one of them.

And this year they have perhaps the easiest path of any team, certainly their easiest path in the past 5 years. While not going "all in" a big move in getting Foligno, the vets like Simmonds and Joe, makes it pretty clear what the teams' expectations are. The cup = success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad