What will it take to motivate Jake?

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think he'll be fine he just needs to clean up some stuff. Like last night, he makes a great play at the offensive blue line and then a backhand pass to no one in particular and it causes a turnover instead of I got nothing and put it in the corner out of harms way.He a little too timid in his own end, he doesn't need to play a bruising style just use an active stick and keep himself between guys and the net and he'll be fine. He gets himself into trouble when he gets too cute with puck and doesn't make decisions quickly enough and then he ends up turning the puck over.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
its like Gardiner needs the leafs to be playing awful in order to get some urgency

what a frustrating player.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Why can't they just put him on the wing? A soft speedy player who can lug the puck is better than an offensive defenseman who doesn't create and is a defensive liability.

Because Randy and his cement playbook?

Never seen a player so miscast, I still have yet to see even a stitch of anything that suggests he should be playing defense.
Especially the lack of urgency he displays when he is last man back and the play is bearing down on him.
A guy who (has great talent but) can't think the game should be playing on the wing.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Low hockey IQ with an abundance of talent. Reilly is far better on both ends, yet Carlyle gives Gardiner crucial minutes. What would motivate him? A trade (Sekera + prospects?).

In fairness he's not the only one who gaffes, but his gaffes are glaring if not downright embarrassing. Reminiscent of Luke Schenn in that the potential was so good, but seems to have floundered when given a chance to shine. Remember 'free Jake Gardiner'? Should have left him in lockup to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad