News Article: What will it take to get Regier fired?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I say with some reluctance that Darcy should have another year--with specific goals and some monitoring. The player moves have been generally good--some home runs and a couple of whiffs. Probably over paid for Leino, paid out Myers too early but overall not bad. But the team offense and team defence shows the coaching sucks. That is where Darcy is deficient. If he does well in the draft, handles Miller and Vanek to the benefit of the club, and gets the coaching situation right.....well then he is the man! Makes me think of the Blue Jay manager---swings for the fences, the fans are ecstatic because they got all those name players with big stats--and they play like crap..

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
When considering to keep/replace Regier this fact should be considered first...

Regier was under the direction of previous ownership to maintain a product that would stay as close to even or making a profit as possible and still make the playoffs. He was directed to have a playoff team without breaking certain budget constraints and rules. That means a playoff team, not a Cup winner. I think immediately following the ownership change, Pegula told Regier to try and build on what they had and see if it could work. It didn't, and now the direction is entirely different. He's been directed to build a Cup winner, and that process is different and takes longer.

Regier actually followed his previous ownership's direction pretty accurately. So far, in the year since they decided to build a Cup winner, regier has made several solid moves. Similar moves will follow and the results involve a few years of patience to see how draft picks turn out. Nobody wants to hear that but that's just the way it's going to be. Another GM will be under the same direction, and that GM's moves will also take a few years to grade. Free agency isn't the way to go and hasn't been for several years. Team building is done through the draft so fans will have to deal with it, Regier or another GM.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Some more logs to throw onto the growing fire:

Regier’s message about the team becoming a Stanley Cup contender was, “It may require some suffering (by the fans). I would like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win (one).

“I’m willing to do it.â€

You should be Darcy, it’s your mess and upper management is apparently willing to let you try to clean it up ... and at your own glacial pace.

How’s that for cementing your job security?

Regier’s resume becomes more dubious as the playoff misses mount, but clearly he doesn’t lack for gall.

The guy who promised immediate improvement when Pegula bought the team, faced with a second straight post-season miss, suddenly decided the Sabres were rebuilding.

He cited the 2012 deadline trade of Paul Gaustad to Nashville for a first-round draft choice as the first step in his reconstructing the Sabres.

With a little revisionist history, he becomes the visionary who foresaw this team needed to take a step back before going two steps forward.

Best of all, Regier appears to have bought himself at least two more years with that “suffering†monologue.

“Of course we’re lousy ... we’re rebuilding
.â€

Small wonder Pegula’s phalanx of “yes men†think the Sabres’ GM is a genius.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_2b754580-b267-11e2-97a0-0019bb2963f4.html

This will be the Sabres’ third attempt at rebuilding under Regier’s tenure. Of the teams he’s assembled, only once were they a legitimate contender to win the Stanley Cup. They made the finals in 1999 on Dominik Hasek’s back but were outclassed and overmatched. In 2005-06 they came roaring out of the lockout and were within a period of advancing to face a weak seventh seed in the finals when a rash of unprecedented injuries to defensemen finally caught up to them.

The following year the team won the President’s Trophy for best regular season record but faded down the stretch and got their tails handed to them by the Ottawa Senators in the conference finals.

So really, they’ve had three memorable seasons out of 16 in Regier’s tenure.

He’s now been the face of failure through three different owners and three different coaches.

His penchant for speedy but too-small, inconsistent forwards and meek teams that are easily intimidated have turned a lunch pail town’s team into one with a reputation as a bunch of weak, loser pushovers.

But for a generation that is defined far more by the franchise’s failures than successes, there is now only one constant: Darcy Regier.

If they’re willing to write off next season and maybe one after that Regier obviously still has a long, long leash to continue his tenure in Buffalo. If Pegula and company are trusting Darcy to rebuild this franchise anew maybe he’s right.

Maybe the suffering has only just begun.

http://tonawanda-news.com/opinion/x326072642/DUVALL-Darcy-Regier-has-worn-out-his-welcome

:cry:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Im having a hard time with the fact Darcy Regier was allowed to fire Lindy Ruff. Its just not right IMO. And if Regier was forced to fire Ruff and didnt go with him, what a joke that guy is.

Still so weird to me.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Uhh, what? Why?

Because together 15 years, never won anything, and he fires Ruff and stays on?

What type of guy does something like that? Especially with the roster he gave Ruff. It was the worst roster down the middle, and this is the year he fires RUff?

Regier is snake. I was reading an article about how RUff said he was angry about being fired. I honestly thought Ruff wanted out. Maybe not.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

What type of guy does something like that? Especially with the roster he gave Ruff. It was the worst roster down the middle, and this is the year he fires RUff?

Regier is snake. I was reading an article about how RUff said he was angry about being fired. I honestly thought Ruff wanted out. Maybe not.

One that realizes hockey is a business, not a playworld.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Hard to blame Darcy for the last 2 seasons, he did upgrade a playoff roster with Hodgson and Ehrhoff. Roy was effective in Dallas and Vancouver this season, Leopold looks fine on the Blues powerplay, Regehr is on the top pair in LA, even Boyes has had production with the Islanders. Brennan with the Panthers as well.

Problem looks to be the use of the roster, not the players assembled. Sure Darcy has made mistakes, having a constrained scouting department must have had an impact on the drafts, its not like he has had a steady budget or ownership his entire time here. It still goes back to the use of the players brought in, like deploying Myers as a shut down defender instead of playing to his strengths, or Grigorenko with John Scott. A lot of the issue was Ruff trying to plug people into the system instead of actually coaching and developing them.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
This thread again? I don't want Darcy fired.

Now, a campaign to get Jerry Sullivan fired is something I could get behind.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This thread again? I don't want Darcy fired.

Now, a campaign to get Jerry Sullivan fired is something I could get behind.

This I dont understand. Under Regier the Sabres are near the bottom of the NHL in terms of years making the playoffs, but your problem is with Jerry Sullivan.

Makes sense.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Im having a hard time with the fact Darcy Regier was allowed to fire Lindy Ruff. Its just not right IMO. And if Regier was forced to fire Ruff and didnt go with him, what a joke that guy is.

Still so weird to me.

Not many (if any) GMs in professional sports get a complete re-do. It doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons, the most important of which may be the need for outside perspective on personnel. The Sabres are in total bizarro land right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd love to know Pegula's thoughts on this.

How much longer does Regier get and what is Pegula looking for over the next couple of seasons if they are accepting the idea of "suffering" at the NHL level?

Does Regier get 5 more years to get to the playoffs?

:help:

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005

The bolded is my biggest problem with all of this. 2nd worst PP in the league and 6th worst PK. 15 games (9 in regulation) lost by 1 goal. I don't know where to grab the stat, but I can't remember ever seeing so many goals go in within seconds of a defensive zone face-off.

Even with that ***** show, the team was only 4 wins away from a playoff spot. I honestly believe that the addition of any kind of experienced offensive or defensive center would have been the difference between making the post season and missing.

Regier dug hole down the middle with Gaustad and Roy took a huge risk that he'd be able to fill it with a sophomore 1C, winger, rookie, and veteran winger. I believe that Ruff was ready to go for a while, but how the heck does Regier survive this?

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Obviously Darcy's pretty secure in his job if he doesn't even need to conduct a ****ing coaching search.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad