What will happen to the 2005 Entry Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighter7796

Feb 2, 2004
If the lock-out goes for too long what will happen with the 2005 NHL Entry Draft? Will they still do it or will they cancel it? Will they combine it with 2006? If there is no season and they still have a draft how will rankings be done for the lottery?

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
there is no way they will combine it with 06'. i have heard
a) that they keep the same order as the 04 draft
b) draw out of a hat. Everyone gets a equal chance at # 1
c) hope to god they play some games

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I have no idea. Maybe they'll cancel it. Or maybe not. I think the best thing would be a completely random lottery. I don't want to see those who tanked be rewarded twice.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Leachmeister2000 said:
I also don't want to see those who wouldn't tank (Detroit, Toronto, Phi) be rewarded as well.

Why not? It isn't like the Penguins or Capitals deserve anything more in 2005 than Detroit. Completely random is clearly the best way to go or perhaps slightly weighted as a compromise, but certainly not 2004's draft order.

Feb 24, 2004
If they did it that way, it would dull the pain a little of having no season. The Leafs potentially getting Sydney Crosby?????

:bow: :banana: :jump: :handclap: :eek:

J F M

Jun 22, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If there is no season a completely random draft should be the way to go. There is no way determine a draft order without a season. Who can tell how Washington would do with Ovechkin. What if Tampa gets injuries similar to L.A. last season? God knows they won't be as charmed next season. My whole point is that making the top 5 the same teams as last year would be ludicrous.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Al Strachan reported a few months ago that there wouldn't be a draft if the season was cancelled due to a lockout. Love him or hate him (very pro player), he is a Hall of Fame reporter, and usually pretty accurate. That's the only thing I've heard of any substance.

However, Gary Bettman has not publicly, officially stated what the league would do in the event of a lockout. Thus, any further comment would be pure speculation.

There's also the issue of the 18-year-old draft. Presently, it's actually a 19-year-old draft, with an opt-in for 18-year-olds. If the league eliminates the opt-in, or increases the draft age to 20, then things really get interesting. (Would probably be a phase-in period, but with the bozos on both sides of the negotiating table, your best guess is as good as mine.

J F M

Jun 22, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
They age will never go back up to 20 y/o. The reason it was lowered to 18 was because the original WHA was poaching players from the Canadian juniour leagues. As well a group of 18 y/o were going to take the NHL to court to challenge the entry eligibility. The NHL changed the age before the case got to be heard, because they knew that they were going to lose.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Vlad The Impaler said:
I have no idea. Maybe they'll cancel it. Or maybe not. I think the best thing would be a completely random lottery. I don't want to see those who tanked be rewarded twice.

A random lottery wouldn't be right, IMO, because the draft is designed to help the worst teams in the league by giving them the chance to have their high choice of a young player. Letting a middle of the road or contending team have that chance defeats the entire premise of the draft, IMO.

I've seen you voice your opinion several times before about the Pens "tanking" and I still don't agree. Yes, they've horribly mismanaged top assets over the course of the past 4 or 5 years, but I don't see any evidence that they or any other team have tanked purposefully. It's all speculation, and I don't think it has much of a base in the Pens' case.

Now maybe we can continue this without the color/font/size. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad