Speculation: What will First Niagara Center now be called?

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
KeyCorp agreed Friday morning to acquire First Niagara Financial Group for $4.1 billion

Now that KeyBank is slated to purchase FNFG, we will get a new area name/signage.

First Niagara signed a 15-year naming-rights agreement in 2011.

Interesting factoid regarding Key's last arena venture: Since 2010, KeyBank no longer owns the naming rights to KeyArena in Seattle, Washington, although the building continues to use the name.

KING 5's Chris Daniels reports the bank whose name sits atop the former home of the Sonics hasn't paid for that right in four years.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Interesting... I thought Key Bank was a dying bank considering most had closed up shop near me.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
Interesting... I thought Key Bank was a dying bank considering most had closed up shop near me.

I think they acquired a bunch of HSBC branches and then closed them. They will surely do the same with a bunch of First Niagara branches that overlap.

Bank Branches in general are a dying tradition.

Machines are replacing humans. With mobile banking and ATMs, more and more tellers are being replaced by their counterpart - the 'Automatic Teller Machine'.

2014 saw the highest level of bank branch closures in the U.S. in history, according to FDIC data.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I wouldn't be surprised if there's an out clause for one or both parties in the event of something like this happening.

This is kind of a bummer as I've finally gotten used to calling the arena by it's current name, though.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I wouldn't be surprised if there's an out clause for one or both parties in the event of something like this happening.

This is kind of a bummer as I've finally gotten used to calling the arena by it's current name, though.

First Niagara is definitely an upgrade from HSBC Arena.

I'm really bummed for Buffalo. First Niagara was a big regional success story and they really seemed to be integrated into Buffalo - especially with their HQ in the Larkin Building. HSBC buying Marine Midland definitely ended up costing Buffalo, and this will probably be more of the same.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I still want New Era to sponser one of the buildings because New Era Stadium sounds awesome but im hoping thats reserved for the new Bills stadium

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think the Pegula's will look at this as a marketing opportunity to stamp their own brand on the arena. Their vision has expanded since they bought the Sabres. HarborCenter Arena or Pegula Sports and Entertainment Arena are possible names.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think the Pegula's will look at this as a marketing opportunity to stamp their own brand on the arena. Their vision has expanded since they bought the Sabres. HarborCenter Arena or Pegula Sports and Entertainment Arena are possible names.

Seeing as how its all one building technically, I'd love for it all to be called 'harbor center.' Then do whatever the heck you want with individual facility names.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Russ Brandon likely in control of this. Going to be interesting. He always claimed, along with Ralph, that naming rights doesn't make any money. But I'm guessing that was all Ralph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad