What will Canada's Winter Olympic Roster look like in 2026?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
People saying Canadian talent is drying up…. Look at all the phenomenal young stars poised to fight for a spot on this team.

Reactions: Summer Rose

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Johnston and Lafreniere looked poised to push for spots on this team by 2026.
Lafreniere looks like he's coming out of no where but he's really improved over the last 2 years. Like they said in his draft year, he is really good at everything. Put him on the PP1 and he'll be pushing 100 points a season.

Wyatt Johnston is spectacular - from moment one.

People saying Canadian talent is drying up…. Look at all the phenomenal young stars poised to fight for a spot on this team.
They said that because the 2016-2019 drafts were huge busts. Since then (2020-), there's be a flood of talent. No worries about the future.

P.S. Don't forget about Seth Jarvis.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Lafreniere looks like he's coming out of no where but he's really improved over the last 2 years. Like they said in his draft year, he is really good at everything. Put him on the PP1 and he'll be pushing 100 points a season.

Wyatt Johnston is spectacular - from moment one.

Lafreniere is very impressive right now.

Starting to see that game-breaking talent he had as a teenager. If he hits that 90-100 point mark Canada is going to have a high-quality winger on its hands.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Nick Suzuki will need to be head and shoulders in the top 12 as turning Hockey Canada down this year will not go over well. He's behind the 8 ball.
We will see how he plays in the time until the team is announced. Hockey Canada will take whoever is hot that fits the best.

Having worked with Hockey Canada in the past, he is exactly the player they like. They value personality and he has the skill as well. Well rounded game. Level headed, calm. The team can't all be leading scorers. This also assumes he continues to blossom. The tournament in question is years away.

People have been arguing with me about Suzuki for two years and Suzuki keeps proving them wrong. I believe in him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Anybody else think that Seth Jarvis will make a serious push to be on this team?
Yup.

He did not get credit for it but Jarvis tipped in Carolina's game winning goal, tonight.

Add the "Stank" (2 goals tonight) and Wyatt Johnston from Dallas and we have 3 young up and comers.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Do McKinnon and McDavid go on the same line or do you split them up?
Split them up. Put McDavid with a goalscorer and a power forward as he is more of a playmaker himself. Hyman could be the power forward potentially. maybe bedard goes to the wing as a sniper

Reactions: ORRFForever

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This playoff should once and for all eviscerate any talk of Mitch Marner on this team... I don't want to hear his name and the Olympic Team in the same sentence ever again.
Don't think you have to worry about that unless somehow Dubas has some pull. Can't wait for the analytics obsessed HF posters completely melt down when they don't bring an all star team built to win 3 on 3 and regular season hockey.

There's gonna be some heavy hard two way players that have a history of thriving in the playoffs and big games. Can't have a full team of skill guys only. There's only 1 puck. There's also not alot of time to build chemistry so players that already play well together are gonna get the benefit of the doubt.

Current forward 'locks'

McDavid, Mackinnon, Crosby, Point, Reinhart

Current defenseman 'locks'
Makar, Morrissey

Goalie 'locks'
Binnington

Forwards on the bubble
Hyman, Marchand, Bedard, Stone, Johnston, Barzal, Stamkos, Thomas, Wilson, Jarvis, Hagel, Verhaeghe, Bennett, Marchessault, Lafrenierre, Byfield, Fantilli, Orielly, Cirelly, Suzuki

D on the Bubble
Theodore, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Toews, Montour, Dobson, Bouchard, Oleksiak, Harley, Carlo, Parayko, McNabb, Manson

Goalies on the Bubble
Hill, Hofer, Montembeault, Skinner, Thompson, Hart?

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My 2030 Canadian Olympic roster up front...

LAF - McDavid - Byfield
Fantilli - Bedard - Guenther
(Neighbours/Benson) - Celebrini - Johnston
McTavish - Jarvis - Stankoven
McKenna / Wright / MacKinnon

In 2030, other than McDavid and MacKinnon, no one is over 28.

Last edited:

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Don't think you have to worry about that unless somehow Dubas has some pull. Can't wait for the analytics obsessed HF posters completely melt down when they don't bring an all star team built to win 3 on 3 and regular season hockey.

There's gonna be some heavy hard two way players that have a history of thriving in the playoffs and big games. Can't have a full team of skill guys only. There's only 1 puck. There's also not alot of time to build chemistry so players that already play well together are gonna get the benefit of the doubt.

Current forward 'locks'

Makar, Morrissey

Goalie 'locks'
Binnington

Forwards on the bubble
Hyman, Marchand, Bedard, Stone, Johnston, Barzal, Stamkos, Thomas, Wilson, Jarvis, Hagel, Verhaeghe, Bennett, Marchessault, Lafrenierre, Byfield, Fantilli, Orielly, Cirelly, Suzuki

D on the Bubble
Theodore, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Toews, Montour, Dobson, Bouchard, Oleksiak, Harley, Carlo, Parayko, McNabb, Manson

Goalies on the Bubble
Even if Carter Hart is not convicted and is cleared of all charges, there is no way he will be on this team.

• Wow

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
My 2030 Canadian Olympic roster up front...

LAF - McDavid - Byfield
McKenna - Bedard - Guenther
Neighbours - Celebrini - Johnston
McTavish - Jarvis - Stankoven
Fantilli / Wright

In 2030, other than McDavid, no one is over 28 on that roster.
MacKinnon likely makes it. He’ll be 33 and under 35. I don’t see his game trailing off anytime soon. Think he’ll age like fine wine. Other than that, pretty good outlook on the 2030 team. Landon DuPont also deserves a shout.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Everyone gushing over the 2026 PP, but imagine a PP of McDavid-MacKinnon-Bedard-McKenna-Makar in 2030. Oooff.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Current forward 'locks'

Makar, Morrissey

Goalie 'locks'
Binnington

Forwards on the bubble

D on the Bubble

Goalies on the Bubble
If you were going to bet on Canada losing at the Olympics, 2026 is where you'd put your money. 2026 is a tough roster to put together - there are a lot of "concerns"...

1) The 2016 - 2019 drafts are garbage for Canada.
2) The sexual assault allegations from 2018(?) are making things even worse - if Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas are available, it would really help.
3) The Americans had amazing drafts from 2016-2019 and those players will be at their peak in 2026.

On the plus side, we will have McDavid, MacKinnon and Makar (the 3 best players in the world) who will be at their peak. Bedard may also be ready.

Players like Hyman and Reinhart have come out of no where and become 50 goal scorers. Point is almost at 50. That's a LOT of goal scoring.

We'll have some very good (but not great) players who are "winners" in their prime in Hagel, Carter V.

We also have some older players who have dropped off but are still pretty darn good - Sid, Stamkos, Stone and Marchand - although, based on the 2nd round of the 2024 playoffs, I think Marchand is done.

Finally, we have Konecny, Barzal, Suzuki, McCann, Cozens and Scheifele - and sitting in the corner with his Dunce Cap on is Mitch Marner. :( Plus, I'm sure a few players will come up out of no where in the next 2 years. Someone always does for Canada : Dach, Harley (D), Newhook, Tomasino, McMichael, Vilardi.

While I still think we'll have the best team in 2026 on paper, it's too close for comfort.

It's crazy that the 2030 Canadian Olympic roster is easier to put together than 2026.
2030 could be a young powerhouse - similar to the young 2004 World Cup Roster up front.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you were going to bet on Canada losing at the Olympics, 2026 is where you'd put your money. 2026 is a tough roster to put together - there are a lot of "concerns"...

1) The 2016 - 2019 drafts are garbage for Canada.
2) The sexual assault allegations from 2018(?) are making things even worse - if Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas are available, it would really help.
3) The Americans had amazing drafts from 2016-2019 and those players will be at their peak in 2026.

On the plus side, we will have McDavid, MacKinnon and Makar (the 3 best players in the world) who will be at their peak. Bedard may also be ready.

Players like Hyman and Reinhart have come out of no where and become 50 goal scorers. Point is almost at 50. That's a LOT of goal scoring.

We'll have some very good (but not great) players who are "winners" in their prime in Hagel, Carter V.

We also have some older players who have dropped off but are still pretty darn good - Sid, Stamkos, Stone and Marchand - although, based on the 2nd round of the 2024 playoffs, I think Marchand is done.

Finally, we have Konecny, Barzal, Suzuki, McCann, Cozens and Scheifele - and sitting in the corner with his Dunce Cap on is Mitch Marner. :( Plus, I'm sure a few players will come up out of no where in the next 2 years. Someone always does for Canada : Dach, Harley (D), Newhook, Tomasino, McMichael, Vilardi.

While I still think we'll have the best team in 2026 on paper, it's too close for comfort.

It's crazy that the 2030 Canadian Olympic roster is easier to put together than 2026.
2030 could be a young powerhouse - similar to the young 2004 World Cup Roster up front.
There is 0 concern for me about 3 bad drafts. They're still the best country in the world by a pretty wide margin considering the elite talent.

Marchand is hurt dont know how you come to that conclusion he was phenomenal in the first round. He also brings a very important element of grit, agitation, experience and being hard to play against. All aspects that I am confident HF will overlook but the real professionals will not.

I am not overly concerned about the 2018 team situation outside of Makar. Kyrou has no shot of making this team. Thomas is likely a bubble player.

Reinhart has also not come out of no where he is an elite two way player that had a break out year but was probably always going to make the team due to his versatility. His hockey sense and ability to play multiple roles in multiple positions puts him firmly on this team. Id rather try and predict what the roster will be next year at the 4 nations cup as its way sooner. Dont really love the excersize of trying to predict 2026. I do not agree on any level 2030 will be easier to predict there are millions of variables thats 6 years away.

If I were to predict the 4 nations cup this is my best guess.

Hyman Mcdavid Point
Reinhart Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Johnston
Verhaeghe Bennett Stone
Byfield Bedard Jarvis

Toews Makar
Morrisey Pietrangelo
Theodore Doughty
Oleksiak Dobson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer

2026 is way harder but players like Mactavish, Fantilli, Lafreniere likely relaly push for spots. Agreed on guys like Harley he likely is really close.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
There is 0 concern for me about 3 bad drafts. They're still the best country in the world by a pretty wide margin considering the elite talent.

Marchand is hurt dont know how you come to that conclusion he was phenomenal in the first round. He also brings a very important element of grit, agitation, experience and being hard to play against. All aspects that I am confident HF will overlook but the real professionals will not.

I am not overly concerned about the 2018 team situation outside of Makar. Kyrou has no shot of making this team. Thomas is likely a bubble player.

Reinhart has also not come out of no where he is an elite two way player that had a break out year but was probably always going to make the team due to his versatility. His hockey sense and ability to play multiple roles in multiple positions puts him firmly on this team. Id rather try and predict what the roster will be next year at the 4 nations cup as its way sooner. Dont really love the excersize of trying to predict 2026. I do not agree on any level 2030 will be easier to predict there are millions of variables thats 6 years away.

If I were to predict the 4 nations cup this is my best guess.

Hyman Mcdavid Point
Reinhart Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Johnston
Verhaeghe Bennett Stone
Byfield Bedard Jarvis

Toews Makar
Morrisey Pietrangelo
Theodore Doughty
Oleksiak Dobson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer

2026 is way harder but players like Mactavish, Fantilli, Lafreniere likely relaly push for spots. Agreed on guys like Harley he likely is really close.
Taking Barzal over Marner? Marner is objectively better than Barzal in every way. As for playoff performance and toughness, Barzal is the same deal as Marner. The only thing that Barzal has over Marner is skating and even then Marner is an elite skater and is a natural RW. Marner also has chemistry playing with MacKinnon at previous WCs

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
My 4-Nations Forwards:

Hyman-McDavid-Point
Bedard-MacKinnon-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Reinhart
Byfield-Thomas-Stone
Extras: Johnston and Jarvis

Burns me to leave Konecny off the roster. Scheifele was a lock on my roster before, but his abysmal playoff performance and Rober Thomas just being better and younger knocks him off the roster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad