what (who) do you think worked well these playoffs?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We're spilling a lot of digital ink right now on the negatives as is human nature.

What would you consider the positives of the past few weeks or months?

I'll start:

- Brendan Gallagher. MVP forward of the playoffs. He scores and he scores difficult goals to boot;
- Torrey Mitchell. A good fourth line centre, I suspect Bergevin will try and keep him for next year;
- Desharnais finally lost his status as first line centre;
- Jeff Petry has been a revelation. Please keep him Bergevin;
- PK Subban, a playoff beast at both ends of the ice;
- Carey Price. The .920 save percentage shows that he's a playoff warrior as well as a regular season warrior, helps us forget his early career meltdown in 2008;

The purpose of this thread is to establish the positives.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We're spilling a lot of digital ink right now on the negatives as is human nature.

I'll start:

- Brendan Gallagher. MVP forward of the playoffs. He scores and he scores difficult goals to boot;
- Torrey Mitchell. A good fourth line centre, I suspect Bergevin will try and keep him for next year;
- Carey Price. The .920 save percentage shows that he's a playoff warrior as well as a regular season warrior, helps us forget his early career meltdown in 2008;

Everything you wrote is good though

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Price
Gallagher
Subban (though not as good as previous times)
Eller
Petry
Mitchell
Beaulieu
Pacioretty improved.

Whoever made the decision to start attacking the middle of the ice in game 4.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Everything you wrote is good though

What am I missing?

I don't think it's all bad as the Habs left the playoffs with honour. It's not a humiliation exit like in 2014, 2013, 2010, or 2008. There were problems but the Habs were legitimate challengers to Tampa Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What am I missing?

I don't think it's all bad as the Habs left the playoffs with honour. It's not a humiliation exit like in 2014, 2013, 2010, or 2008. There were problems but the Habs were legitimate challengers to Tampa Bay.
I agree...I think you took what I said the wrong way

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Price
Gallagher
Eller
Petry
Mitchell
Beaulieu
Pacioretty improved.

agreed, dont think he was great by any stretch, but he produced a more than last year, and also played better overall (even though he wasnt visible much in some games).

we can only hope he keep improving his playoffs play/production! :nod:

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Price
Gallagher
Eller
Petry
Mitchell
Beaulieu
Pacioretty improved.

This list. Subban was our best player in terms of scoring. If he looked "not as good" it's because he's being shadowed constantly.

Pateryn and Beaulieu have been good. It bodes well for our defense in the future. Beaulieu is officially part of the team. Pateryn will in my mind make the team unless he disappoints in pre-season.

I felt Emelin and Gilbert had decent games. Its nice to see them better than their regular season performances. I don't see Emelin in our plans anymore if Pateryn makes it. It should be easier to trade him.

DD no longer our first center.

Galchenyuk trying hard to score even though he couldn't convert. It annoyed me he wasn't more productive. But I think he was too much in his head and lacked confidence in the playoffs. He definitely had the work ethic, which is nice. He didn't just back off and hide. He wanted that goal.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

I'll start:

Good thread DA.

-Gally should be considered as captain. That is how important I think he is.

-Mitchell is home town and will work his ass off to help the team win. I think he should be re-signed, no question.

-I don't discuss DD on this board.

-Petry will leave, if he is married, and his wife has anything to say about it. He must be signed, or replaced.

-Subban is 9 Mill on Cap. I expect excellence, including in the cup finals game 7. I have no other opinion on the player because he is a superstar.

- Price is what Habs need to win a cup. I have no other opinion on the player because he is a superstar.

Now. after all that, we need to discuss what MB has to do this summer to get Habs closer to that goal.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Further positives:

-Molson. Money. Tradition. Care. The ability to buy out a player or coach if required.

-Scherbak. Just a stupid monster kid scorer. Exactly what Habs need top counter Tampa.

-Mcarron. The monster. Immoveable object on the PP to stand in front of 6-7 goalies. The crusher.

-Beaulieu. Crafty, fast, tough as nails. Stepped into a brutal fast series and performed.

-Pateryn. Solid as a hammer.

-Tinordi. I have not given up on him, at all. Just wait. Just you wait.

-Lernout. Yes. Lernout. He is a maniac. He is my hidden card.

-Galchenyuk. Under huge pressure, never coddled, and still working hard. Watch out. Do you think he enjoyed watching all the young Tampa stars win this year? No.

Oct 22, 2012
I keep forgetting that DLR is only 19 and this was his first playoffs. In the role he was given I thought he did good and rarely did you see one of those rookie giveaways that hurt the team. At this stage in his career he appears to be very reliable.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What am I missing?

The irony here is that the group of us who love Habs are not fighting. We are just discussing the positives. Funny that. Save the fights for other threads guys. We all need some cheering up at the moment.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I keep forgetting that DLR is only 19 and this was his first playoffs. In the role he was given I thought he did good and rarely did you see one of those rookie giveaways that hurt the team. At this stage in his career he appears to be very reliable.

Yes. DLR is another hidden weapon. The kid is 19 years old, and handled the game well in one some of the fastest games I've ever seen Habs play. Far from Home. In the Bell Centre. How good was Carbonneau at 19? Do not give up on this kid.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Petry. Everyone else performed as I expected they would. Petry really surpassed my expectations.

Unfortunately I don't see him resigning here, which makes us a significantly inferior team next year.

PricePkPatch*

What am I missing?

2014 was a humiliation exit?! Since when?

PricePkPatch*

The Rangers dominated the Habs last year.

Not in any matter more than the Bolts dominated us this year. And we lost our star goalie.

All things considered, i though we did pretty well against the Rangers.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Disagreed. Against the Rangers the Habs couldn't gain the offensive zone to save their lives.

They did better against the Bolts. It was the goalie that neutralized them, not the opposing defense.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Eller confirmed that he is a playoff beast. Points or not, he shows up to play hard and had even more of an edge than last year.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I'll give you positive.

Markov basically told management that he can't be the big minute dman he once was, giving MB ample time to ship him out or replace his minutes by FA signing such as Petry.

It is clear as day that we lack top 6 scoring depth so this will force MB to shoot for those big hard moves, not just simple depth ones.

It's also clear as day that we don't have a true top 6 talent at C and that our one hopeful Galchenyuk looked like crap and did not show progression. This exposes the coaching staff.

PricePkPatch*

Disagreed. Against the Rangers the Habs couldn't gain the offensive zone to save their lives.

They did better against the Bolts. It was the goalie that neutralized them, not the opposing defense.

We got beaten twice by a large margin last year, same this year. We won one game by a large margin last year, same.this year.

We got taken out in Game 6 both times. We couldnt generate offense for **** in either game.

Sorry, but disagree with you. 2014 was a good playoff run until the end in my book.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I thought Emelin was very good throughout the playoffs, having someone who can actually skate well with him helps him a ton.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
In my opinion once it gets to be playoff time and the going gets tougher you can really see who's who.

Over the last few years Subban has stepped up time and time again, he's what makes the habs go and should be made captain next year.

Gallagher has also taken the next step as a playoff guy.

Although Pacioretty played better in the tampa series he still has yet to duplicate his regular season success in the playoffs. I'd like to see him with a true #1 Center.

Plekanec although better than DD had another disappointing playoffs

DD was even worse than plekanec. Id have him on a one way trip to Hamilton

Galchenyuk showed flashes but overall was unproductive, next year he'll be in his 4th year although still young it'd be nice to see him step up more come crunch time.

Markov is on the decline and it was painfully obvious he's lost a step.

Petry was a great trade deadline acquisition and steady all playoffs . I'd love to have him re-signed/paired with Subban next year.

Weise Mitchell and Prust played well and I'd welcome them all back next year.

Smith Pelley was a disappointment and IMO doesn't belong in the NHL. He has hands of stone and although gifted a golden opportunity (1st line minutes) couldn't keep up.

Carey Price had an up and down playoffs (once again) and has been overrated/hyped since the Olympics. He still has a lot to prove to live up to the lofty/ridiculous expectations people place on him. If the right offer was on the table I'd trade him in a heart beat

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We were better than Tampa in this series and deserved a much better fate. Them's the way the puck bounces sometimes.

I really hope we re-sign Petry.

phoque taupe

May 15, 2010
Montréal
Further positives:

-Molson. Money. Tradition. Care. The ability to buy out a player or coach if required.

-Scherbak. Just a stupid monster kid scorer. Exactly what Habs need top counter Tampa.

-Mcarron. The monster. Immoveable object on the PP to stand in front of 6-7 goalies. The crusher.

-Beaulieu. Crafty, fast, tough as nails. Stepped into a brutal fast series and performed.

-Pateryn. Solid as a hammer.

-Tinordi. I have not given up on him, at all. Just wait. Just you wait.

-Lernout. Yes. Lernout. He is a maniac. He is my hidden card.

-Galchenyuk. Under huge pressure, never coddled, and still working hard. Watch out. Do you think he enjoyed watching all the young Tampa stars win this year? No.

i agree on everything.
I hope management will see things the same way in the offseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad