What were the past few Stanley Cup finalists missing that prevented them from a Cup Win

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Playoff series could always go either way. Especially in the SCF. It’s just a matter of which team plays harder/better. And gains momentum and confidence.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While the Joey injury looms large for the Preds it honestly was death by 1000 cuts.

Lost Fiala in the St. Louis series, Fisher was dealing with concussion issues, Ellis blew out a knee and obviously then you have the Johansen injury.

It's the price you pay to win a Cup, we just had to pay to high a price to get there.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Like half of the 2011 Canucks were playing with, or out with major injuries. Legends like Tanner Glass, Viktor Oreskovich, Jeff Tambellini and Andrew Alberts were leaned on to munch minutes...

It did expose how sheltered the Sedins were though, who were not dynamic enough to carry the missing depth.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Nah they lacked an elite goal scorer.

A lot of Blues showed up to score goals. I feel like Boston just ran out of... something. That team on paper should have steamrolled us but we walked in with Gloria and never for a moment gave up, losing a game in fact energized us, not demoralized us. That's why I said they didn't have their own Gloria.

Last edited:

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Sometimes teams aren’t really missing anything, it’s just sort of luck / fate / bounces how things play out.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Kings started to gel after the trade deadline, but it's not like the Devils had a bad season. New Jersey had a 102 point season but they just happened to be in a stacked division with the Rangers (109), Penguins (108), and Flyers (103). Boston won their division with 102 points.

Odd to think that the Kings (95 points) and Coyotes (97 points) would have been considered a shoo-in favorite to win over the Devils/Rangers.

Regardless who came out of the East that year, the Kings were going to win the SCF with how well they played in the POs.

They were steam rolling the opposition.

Nah they lacked an elite goal scorer.

I wouldn’t even say that. Their entire first line went ghost mode.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
As a Preds fan I still can't believe they made it to the cup finals in 16-17. It was a perfect example of a team getting hot at the right time, and a favorable path to the finals. Chicago was 1st in the West, but was clearly on the downfall. They got exposed. STL Blues were a good solid team, but they couldn't overcome the momentum that the Preds had built. The Ducks were a good team, but for the Preds that was a favorable match-up. As the rounds passed the confidence the team displayed grew and grew. It didn't feel like it mattered who the team iced they believed they were going to find a way to win. Fiala went down GM 1 of the second round. Joey went out during GM 4 of the WCF. I'm pretty sure Sissons was our 1C against the Pens lol.

So much went right. Arvy only had 3 goals all postseason. Neal had six goals, but wasn't an offensive dynamo. Fisher had 0 goals. Craig Smith was injured all playofffs, and only played 10 games with 1 goal. Forsberg led the team with 9 goals, 16 points in 22 games.

Bottom sixers, and journeyman stepped up during crucial moments. Sissons had an incredible playoff. Pontus Aberg had a couple big goals, and plays. Watson had some timely plays...as did Jarnkrok. Frederick freaking Gaudreau had 3 goals in the SCF.

It was an incredibly improbable run that I don't know I'll ever see again from the franchise.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I forgot the Bruins wow. They lost because they needed another threat outside of their top line. If you shut down their top line you just need your depth to outplay their depth. Which is still really good its just that when you get to the playoffs everyone has good depth.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Predators win if RyJo doesn't get hurt as a Penguins fan.

Eh, if we're playing the "what if" game the Pens were also without Letang. One of the Pens' biggest issues that entire playoff run was the transition game, an area Letang would have helped immensely.

So I'd say his loss and what he brought to the Pens was about a toss up with the Preds losing Johansen and what he brought.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
The only thing the Canucks needed in 2011 was a healthy team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eh, if we're playing the "what if" game the Pens were also without Letang. One of the Pens' biggest issues that entire playoff run was the transition game, an area Letang would have helped immensely.

So I'd say his loss and what he brought to the Pens was about a toss up with the Preds losing Johansen and what he brought.

Letang wasn’t hurt a couple games ahead of the Finals though. That Forsberg - RyJo - Arvidsson Line was a powerhouse.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They had some “skill” players but I get what you mean. If they had acquired Stone a year earlier, they would have likely won

They would have made it interesting if Neal & Perron weren't playing with concussions. Haula wasn't as good as a 2C in the playoffs & Tuch wasn't ready yet so their 2nd line fizzled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad