What were the best hockey competitions?

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Name the best hockey competitions in the history of the sport, either it is national or international stuff, in terms of having great hockey...

I know most people will say Summit Series 72, Canada Cup 87, probably also the 1994 NHL season, but I wanna see some behind the scenes stuff, either it is KHL, world championships, you name it.

I was always a big fan of the 1996 world cup, the finals were great with Richter stealing the show, the fact that USA won made it even more impactful, to me it was the last great international competition.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The 1996 (first) World Cup of hockey will never win a popularity poll of Canadians because we lost and it kick-started that 'awkward' period in Canadian hockey (roughly 1996 to 2003), but it was pretty incredible. The intensity and the physicality between Canada and the USA in particular was amazing for international hockey.

I feel like 1987 Canada Cup might have been the best group of players vs. one another (I'm not old enough to remember tournaments before that). It was a great peak-era of Canadian talent vs. a great peak-era of Soviet talent, all great players around the same age. I guess the limitation of that tournament is that the other countries (esp. USA) weren't nearly as strong at the time.

Reactions: Hobnobs

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Maybe the 2002 Olympics? Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Republic and Sweden all had powerful rosters with lots of big names.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Maybe the 2002 Olympics? Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Republic and Sweden all had powerful rosters with lots of big names.

Nah, I did not felt the same intensity of the 1972 summit series, 1987 Canada Cup and 1996 World Cup, and most of the big names although still good were not in their prime anymore like Bure, Chelios, Fedorov, Hasek, Hull, Leetch, Lemieux, Richter, Yzerman...

But you can say NHL and KHL seasons, or world championships, anything...

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Was too young to have seen tournaments pre-1987, but I have always thought Rendez-vous '87 was good. The series would probably be talked about more if it was 3 games instead of 2.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Was too young to have seen tournaments pre-1987, but I have always thought Rendez-vous '87 was good. The series would probably be talked about more if it was 3 games instead of 2.

And the fact that the URSS national team was declared the overall winner doesn't help, so no one wants to talk about it...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

It was a good tourny for Sweden. Forsberg wasn't there but Näslund and Nylander was and we lost to Belarus.

It was a good tourny for Russia too. Bure's knees had just fallen off a cliff, Mogilny was done too (and obviously not even there in the first place because politics) but at least clutch as hell Yashin was there playing his ass off.

I know you didn't mention Finland but their only good (top level) center was ill and Selänne was rubbish in San Jose.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
It was a good tourny for Sweden. Forsberg wasn't there but Näslund and Nylander was and we lost to Belarus.

It was a good tourny for Russia too. Bure's knees had just fallen off a cliff, Mogilny was done too (and obviously not even there in the first place because politics) but at least clutch as hell Yashin was there playing his ass off.

I know you didn't mention Finland but their only good (top level) center was ill and Selänne was rubbish in San Jose.
Was a bit disappointing in the final as well with all those slow former hot shots playing for the US. They obviously tried very hard and good but did not have it.
Not that it is a sure thing they would have won with their 96 team playing instead, but that's becouse it's peaking 02 Canada on the other side. Would have given Lemieux and company one great and perhaps uphill challenge though.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

That's why I didn't mention Finland. They were weak in goal too. This was before all these star goalies suddenly starting coming out of Finland. Amazing how much they've grown as a hockey country in 15 years. In 2002, they weren't ready to contend with the top nations in hockey. Now, they're winning junior championships.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The 1996 (first) World Cup of hockey will never win a popularity poll of Canadians because we lost and it kick-started that 'awkward' period in Canadian hockey (roughly 1996 to 2003), but it was pretty incredible. The intensity and the physicality between Canada and the USA in particular was amazing for international hockey.

I feel like 1987 Canada Cup might have been the best group of players vs. one another (I'm not old enough to remember tournaments before that). It was a great peak-era of Canadian talent vs. a great peak-era of Soviet talent, all great players around the same age. I guess the limitation of that tournament is that the other countries (esp. USA) weren't nearly as strong at the time.

I wouldn't say it was a peak-era of Soviet talent, the team being a little too top-heavy; I think that the top two lines (plus Fetisov and Kasatonov) scored about 85 % of their goals. But great hockey it was.

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I wouldn't say it was a peak-era of Soviet talent, the team being a little too top-heavy; I think that the top two lines (plus Fetisov and Kasatonov) scored about 85 % of their goals. But great hockey it was.

I think it was *a* peak for Soviet hockey, but not *the* peak, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately the peak of Soviet hockey (say 79 - 83 -ish) coincided with a lull in Canadian hockey so we were never able to witness a true titanic clash of both at the ultimate height of their powers. For that we would probably have wanted to see the 76 Canada Cup team vs the 79 Soviet team.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I think it was *a* peak for Soviet hockey, but not *the* peak, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately the peak of Soviet hockey (say 79 - 83 -ish) coincided with a lull in Canadian hockey so we were never able to witness a true titanic clash of both at the ultimate height of their powers. For that we would probably have wanted to see the 76 Canada Cup team vs the 79 Soviet team.

I noticed that the poster didn't claim it was the absolute peak, but I'm not sure that it was even one of the peaks in terms of talent; sure, there was the Green Unit still in their prime (though barely), plus Khomutov, Bykov and Kamensky had a good line... but much of the defence and goaltending, meh. I think it's even somewhat surprising that it was that close, considering the advantages that Canada had in terms of home-ice.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I think the 1981 Canada Cup had as close as you can get to the best Soviet team and the best Canadian team matched up in the same tourney (arguments obviously can be made for 1987). They really outclassed the other nations and rightfully met in the final. In 1976, the Russians didn't bring their best players for whatever reason and 84 + 87 the USSR didn't have Tretiak. People just think 8-1 but had they had the foresight to make it a best of three it may have gone done as an all-timer.

My Best-Carey

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I think the 1981 Canada Cup had as close as you can get to the best Soviet team and the best Canadian team matched up in the same tourney (arguments obviously can be made for 1987). They really outclassed the other nations and rightfully met in the final. In 1976, the Russians didn't bring their best players for whatever reason and 84 + 87 the USSR didn't have Tretiak. People just think 8-1 but had they had the foresight to make it a best of three it may have gone done as an all-timer.

My Best-Carey

I disagree. To me that 81 Team Canada was clearly at a point where one set of generational talents (centred the 70s Canadiens) was past its prime while another (centred on the 80s Oilers+Lemieux) was not yet at theirs, or had not yet arrived at all in 66s case. You had the Islanders in their prime I guess but the supporting characters were pretty poor by Canada Cup standards.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Right off the bat you have to think of 1972, and no argument here, but it was still just two countries. Maybe the Canadians needed to take it more seriously before hand and they learned rather quickly to do this but it still gets full marks for being the original. Obviously other tournaments were fuller after this.

I like the ones where we had the best talent playing. There is always the odd player from any tournament who is missing but if I were to pick the years of competitive tournaments with the most players available I would rank them in these groups:

Ultra competitive:
1987 Canada Cup - Most countries had their best players and the tournament was a classic and ultra competitive. Canadians still loathed, but respected, the Soviets.
2002 Olympics - Again, all countries pretty much had their full talent. Not much missing and an overall great atmosphere and tournament from beginning to finish.
2010 Olympics - Similar to 2002. The talent was there from all countries. Lots of passion, drama and pressure, and the fans were into it.
1996 World Cup - Canada was missing some names, but still fielded a very good team. It took me a long time to admit this, but over the years I have appreciated this as incredibly intense hockey with a lot of hate. Good finish too.
1984 Canada Cup - Fetisov wasn't there, Tretiak had retired and on the Canadian side Potvin and Trottier weren't there (Trottier played for Team USA). But it was still a pretty good tournament with a surprise round robin for Canada who clawed back and that classic semi final.............
1981 Canada Cup - Maybe 1981 was an awkward transition for Canada but they still fielded a great team. That tournament was pretty good up until the last game, or at least last period. Soviets at their best, Canada still with a team of HHOFers.
1979 Challenge Cup - Maybe not the best planned right in the middle of the season with little preparation, but these were two fantastic teams who hated each other, too bad the last game sucked.

Less competition:
1976 Canada Cup - Soviets stubbornly leave some players at home but this is the best Canadian team of all-time, and for my money no one ever beats this team anywhere, anytime. Last hurrah for Orr.
2006 Olympics - Some players not picked that should have been, too bad we didn't see some good match ups (Canada never played U.S, Sweden) but at least a good gold medal game.
2014 Olympics - Good, not memorable though. Canada had about as perfect team as possible. Not a memorable final and maybe most remember for Canada never trailing in the tournament and that surprisingly close Latvia game.
1998 Olympics - Good tournament, things like the big ice and shootouts were new to many. Wasn't really a game that had a lot of intensity or drama. The Czech/Canada game wasn't exciting for the first 59 minutes, a snoozefest, as was the gold medal game.

Meh:
2004 World Cup - The NHL lockout was looming, lots of countries including Canada missing players. Canada's last two games were pretty good, especially the Czech game but this is not always remembered well.
1991 Canada Cup - Gretzky gets injured, too many teams missing players and our old rivals in a poor transition. Still probably better than 2004 though.
2016 World Cup - The worst tournament of all-time............by far. No one cared. Two gimmick teams and I have never seen a tournament where there was a lack of passion or animosity. Ugh. Never again. Try to care next time NHL, NHLPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad