What Went Wrong?

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
He's going to have to stop writing like his words are indisputable facts, stats don't tell the whole story and in hockey barely tell anything and he uses them as the basis of his argument.

I don't recommend reading this, it's further proof of the diluted Montreal media influence.

Edited to reword.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Thanks. I posted this response:

"No excuses" isn't some magic tagline that changes reality. Seven injured players (including Emelin) forces a major shift in personnel and production for any team. Ottawa's fans grumbled - with justification - that their team would've won more games and finished higher if they hadn't had so many injuries during the regular season. It's completely fair to say the same about the Habs in the playoffs. "No excuses" described the gritty, high-energy play that earned Montreal 2nd place in the EC; however "No excuses" has no effect on players who aren't there.

A better tagline for Montreal's aborted playoff run would have been "No Replacements".

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
I found that what went wrong was that teams 2 weeks before the end of the season started to break down the Habs forecheck. That meant fewer good scoring chances in the O-zone, and more time in the D-zone.

In the playoffs, the smaller Habs forwards had a tough time getting into the pay zone.

And finally, Therrien didn't have the horses to compensate and re-adjust.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Very superficial analysis that doesn't offer anything substantial and then doubles-down on itself to assert that the team was lacking veteran leadership as if that's some cure-all for poor tactics and lack of finishing.

I hate Gionta's contract and all that it implies but even I wouldn't go far to say that he's a bad leader when it comes to lockerroom stuff when all the evidence is to the contrary - we have a great lockerroom in fact with players like Prust, Gorges, Gionta, Subban giving their all every shift.

Lame article.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I found that what went wrong was that teams 2 weeks before the end of the season started to break down the Habs forecheck. That meant fewer good scoring chances in the O-zone, and more time in the D-zone.

That's exactly what went wrong. And Therrien did not adjust (or "have time to adjust" as some fanboys claim).

We got figured out with ten games left in a 40 game season and the coaches did nothing to remedy the situation.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
According to the reporter, our problems are Carey and our leaders in the team. Also injuries, but "no excuses" is our motto.
Don't recommend reading this article.

Things that actually sunk us:

1 We didn't post a player in front of Anderson. There was Gallagher. But the other players we set there would stand next to him, not even trying to block his view. Or they would just be too far from him. Anderson's a good goalie, I'll give him that. But give any goalie some room and vision and they won't have much issues.

2 We didn't clear our crease. Sens kept putting big bodies directly in front of Price, even bothering his movement (which was fair enough for a playoff level).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b153Kx7visM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKvcFpHgqpA

3 Most importantly, we weren't properly covering opposing players while playing defensively. Apart form the PP goals, every goal scored was because a Sens player separated himself from the play. It's easy t blame a goalie for goals. Sure Price may have let in a few easy ones. But most of those can be debated that were really errors from our defensive play. Had we tightened up our game, most of those probably would never happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZcZVxwWiug (PK way out of position, Sens players are half covered)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vNpwN7cWMg (1v2 created by our player being behind the play and not paying attention, 2 of ours following them behind, and another player of theirs left alone to take the rebound)

I had called it even before the series started. We have a great puck possession team focused on offense. But you need a better defense relative to your offense if you want to go far into the playoffs. During game 2, we did all the defensive tasks that were necessary. But apart from that game, our team sucked as a whole when playing defensively.

Heck, most teams that play a very offensive game do well in the normal season, usually. But in the playoffs, it gets more difficult.

The Sens had a good offense, but an even better defense. We were the opposite all season long, part of our defense was having a good offense as well. However, you need a much better defense in the playoffs.

It's easy to blame a goalie for losses. It's easy to say we need a goalie to steal games and win the series. You know how rare those are, when a goalie can steal or have us win a series? You can point out to Halak all you want. Sure he played more than great, 3 years ago. On the other hand, the team was also playing a much much more defensive game than we are right now. You give a goalie some good D, and they'll look good if they make the needed saves. You give a goalie terrible D, and there won't be much he can stop even if they look like easy goals.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He ran out of cliche's by the 4th paragraph.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Nothing to see here, folks. Injuries, goaltending, blah blah blah. We know all this.

What went wrong? Nothing really. We watched as a team in transition made a huge leap forward and won their division one year after finishing last in the conference. It'll take longer than that to get the stench of mediocrity out of the locker room. MB, MT, TT along with Dudley, Lapointe, Mellanby are doing a bang-up job so far in turning this franchise around.

They all have work to do, but they're at an advantage: with Subban, Galchenyuk and Price (all of whom need to progress) already on the team and in various stages of development, this team is ahead of schedule!

It's only going to get better!

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Hindsight is 20/20 now that we know their injuries, but Therrien "overused" Patches, Pleks, Prust, Markov when we went on that "tank" stretch in the season when they all should have been scratched for more games so they could have been near 100% for the playoffs.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Ill tell you what went wrong..

Emelin injured, gionta biceps, ryder hurt, boullion 5'9 DD 5'9 Pacioretty murdered by chara and now that injury is catching up to him.. Gaclchenyuk cant do it himself yet, White no supporting cast other than prust, prust beaten up, price injured, eller died, Gallagher can't take a NHL beating like he did and expect to have long career, budaj is budaj, tinordi was a great skater but rookie, pleckanec has no one to work with other than galchenyuk and bourque, Bourque easily our best player in the play offs, diaz brain scrambled, gorges can't do it himself must be hurtin, markov bum knee, the list goes on.

How much more can a smaller ( but offensively gifted team ) take.. they got punished after making the play offs.. They got out hit, beat up, murdered..

And it all fell apart right before the play offs

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Ill tell you what went wrong..

Emelin injured, gionta biceps, ryder hurt, boullion 5'9 DD 5'9 Pacioretty murdered by chara and now that injury is catching up to him.. Gaclchenyuk cant do it himself yet, White no supporting cast other than prust, prust beaten up, price injured, eller died, Gallagher can't take a NHL beating like he did and expect to have long career, budaj is budaj, tinordi was a great skater but rookie, pleckanec has no one to work with other than galchenyuk and bourque, Bourque easily our best player in the play offs, diaz brain scrambled, gorges can't do it himself must be hurtin, markov bum knee, the list goes on.

How much more can a smaller ( but offensively gifted team ) take.. they got punished after making the play offs.. They got out hit, beat up, murdered..

And it all fell apart right before the play offs

Basically.

If it was a normal season, Habs woulda been entering their usual mid-season slump at that point. Instead cuz of lockout that was the playoff time.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Thanks. I posted this response:

"No excuses" isn't some magic tagline that changes reality. Seven injured players (including Emelin) forces a major shift in personnel and production for any team. Ottawa's fans grumbled - with justification - that their team would've won more games and finished higher if they hadn't had so many injuries during the regular season. It's completely fair to say the same about the Habs in the playoffs. "No excuses" described the gritty, high-energy play that earned Montreal 2nd place in the EC; however "No excuses" has no effect on players who aren't there.

A better tagline for Montreal's aborted playoff run would have been "No Replacements".

I disagree. Every team through each season and playoffs (especially Montreal) has injuries and every team either deals with this issue or doesn't.

The fact of the matter is beyond our 23 skaters on our team when the lineup is 100% healthy, we do not have enough depth to fill in when 3/4/5/6 players go down due to injuries. It's that simple. Lack of depth.

Every team in the playoffs have injuries and they deal with it by having players that step in and fulfill their role effectively. Look at PIT. When Fleury is playing crap, they have a veteran goalie with skill, Tomas Vokoun, to step in and play great for them (shutout in game 5). When Carey Price went down, where was our backup goaltender to play to a similar level to Vokoun? He was nowhere to be found.

Montreal needs to get bigger and they needed more depth in the bottom 6 and quite possibly at goaltending as well (a moot point considering Budaj just signed a new contract). This could have been addressed at the deadline, where only 1 or 2 moves were made, and did not address this issue (Halpern is a depth guy, but probably made our lineup smaller).

I'm guessing MB didn't think we would go far (which we didn't) and wasn't worth investing in right now. Fine. But fans shouldn't think we "underachieved" in the POs this year when we weren't even supposed to make the POs this year.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
As other have said: hindsight is 20/20.

Absolutely nothing went wrong this year, if not for untimely injuries (i.e. at the end of the year, instead of earlier).

The management is now in 'building' mode. We went from 15th to 2nd in the east while acquiring some assets such as a 3rd round pick in the Ryder deal.

Nobody expected anything this year, yet they finish 2nd in the east and lose with a depleted roster against a hot goaltender and with a little help from the refs in one game.

Habs will be fine next year. They may not end up at the top of the conference, but are building for the future, which MB re-iterated is a priority.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nothing went wrong. Team overachieved in the regular season. Lack of thoughness and size were severely exposed in the playoffs. The outcome was entirely predictable, if many had not been lulled by the first 35 games of the regular season. The final reg. season games were no slump, twas a correction that some of us didn't fully decipher.

Good news is that it gave management a much clearer snapshot of what the team needs to do, even though, they probably were already aware. It adds to the notion of needing to move in a different direction but it won't be a short-term fix.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This article is almost as dumb as 99% of the posts on this board.

We outshot and outchanced Ottawa for the majority of the series......period, end of story. If both teams recieve equal goaltending and are injury free.....we win the series, it is just that simple.

**** happens people, deal with it instead of inventing reasons other than the goaltending differential in a 5 game window and untimely injuries.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
One cannot argue that the Canadiens were not an impressive team this year. But until they have that right playoff mentality, getting far in the postseason will not be a simple task.

...what does that even mean?

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
We didn't win! (or is that too obvious?)

I think we overplayed all season, lost a punishing stable D, and had no depth to overcome the issue. Also, we had a lot of injuries, no profound depth, and our D-core has nothing on the giant D-core of Ottawa. Ottawa got in to the playoffs without their star players. That is depth.

Also, I'm saying it now. The loss of 2011-12 Cole hurt our top line. Ryder lit it up for a bit, but he didn't bring the leadership of pre-lock-out Cole.

Also, God did not favour us. Perhaps he likes warmer climes. Perhaps he thinks pasta should be spelt past, and not pâte! Or perhaps life is but a box of chocolates, and you really don't know what you will get out of it!

onemorecup*

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/05/11/montreal-canadiens-what-went-wrong/

I really suggest following Eleni; a very good young writer who has made me read more things on the Habs than I'd ever cared for. :p

Very simple

1) we overachived in the shortended season , dont base your success on a shortended season

2) come playoff time we arent built for the playoffs , bad combo , lack of size and toughness on the top 6 , small weak defence with no jam

3) bottom 6 players like Moen , Colby , White, Halpern that dont produce and the team as whole lacks the will to win

botton line is this , we need a heart transplant with 1/3 new faces , stop the bandaids , DD type signings, etc... stay the course with the kids

onemorecup*

Nothing went wrong. Team overachieved in the regular season. Lack of thoughness and size were severely exposed in the playoffs. The outcome was entirely predictable, if many had not been lulled by the first 35 games of the regular season. The final reg. season games were no slump, twas a correction that some of us didn't fully decipher.

Good news is that it gave management a much clearer snapshot of what the team needs to do, even though, they probably were already aware. It adds to the notion of needing to move in a different direction but it won't be a short-term fix.

my freind great post :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

MB has to see the light , he came from a championship team in Chicago who have the right pieces and role players to work with

all I ask is dont patch or bandaid giving up valuable picks at the draft folr short term fixes , we arent a player away

Please do not resign Colby , Weber , and even Ryder ... I like Ryder for year

locking him up for 3-4 years is a waste regardless of hsi ability to score

The D needs major work , PK, Emelin , Tinordi and Biealiue is all I have faith in

Markov is worn out , Cube and Dias stink , and Gorges is overated , we need some major help here

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

So 48 games are a flukey streak, but five games are meaningful? Ah, but it's the playoffs. So then we should have kept our 2010 team intact because they were great in the playoffs. The Habs can't win with their fans. In 2010, we had a great playoff run but everyone said we 'overachieved' because the regular season was bad. Then in 2013 we had a great regular season but people are saying we 'overachieved' because our playoffs were bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad