What went wrong with the 90s rebuild

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think this is a case study in how unsteady ownership can ruin a GM's best-laid plans. It takes money to hire all the personnel across the board from head coaches to positional coaches and doctors/nutritionists, etc. And it takes strong leadership from the top to keep the whole chain in order and steady.

Remember the one year we had a rookie coach take us to the Final, then started forcing the GM's hand in dealing away talent like Tomas Sandstrom literally for a bag of pucks. And before that we had endless "rumors" of players driving deals (acquiring all the Oilers) which may have ultimately led to the Kings dealing away Zhitnik to Buffalo.

The Kings got real bad and made deals like dumping Coffey because we secretly didn't have money to meet payroll (allegedly).

On a (possibly) separate note, I think one of the key bad deals made by LA was in the early 90s. The Kings found a solid 2nd line center in Todd Elik, who scored
74 games21g37a58p
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
in his 2nd year of 90-91 while playing some decent defense, and then added another
12 games2g7a9p
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
in the playoffs that year.

After dealing that guy, we tried the way-undersized Corey Millen, who allegedly disappeared in the critical 92-93 playoff run and then we dealt Coffey for Jimmy Carson redux to fill that donut at 2nd line center. When Gretzky went down that year, we had to convert Jari Kurri to center because the center donut became that large.

Now in the Elik deal we got a 4th that was used to draft Zhitnik. But really, we could have used another 4th or even a 3rd to get Zhitnik if we wanted to. If we kept Coffey and had Elik still, I think we win 92-93.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
There is no allegedly about McNall going broke and Gretzky loaning players money when paychecks bounced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad