Player Discussion What went wrong with Galchenyuk's and Kotkaniemi's development and progress that won't go wrong with Slafkovsky's?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He scored 30 goals because of an end of a lost season hot streak where he shot 31%. There was nothing great about it. He was still a lousy all around player.

Complete BS narrative as he started the next season with 9 goals 14 assists 23 points in the 24 games (+10) before the game where he had the knee injury that probably changed his career for the worst.

It wasn't just a hot streak and he was plenty capable of doing just as good when the season counted as he showed the following season until his injury.

His career was actually taking off before that injury. He was PPG over tge previous 60 games. We never saw that Galchenyuk again.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Therrien force fed him a shitty center for most of his time here yet he still loves him lmao, that's what constant and prolonged exposure to toxic farts, toenail fungus and cigarette smoke will do to your brain

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What happened to their development? The same damn thing that almost happened to CC last year!

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Lmao Pacioretty just declared his love for Therrien on Nilans podcast.

Goes as far as calling him a 2nd dad.
I wonder what type of personality is needed to coach the tough-love generation and the soft-touchy-feely generation on the same team?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I wonder what type of personality is needed to coach the tough-love generation and the soft-touchy-feely generation on the same team?
Cooper has been with Tampa a while, but most coaches, and pretty much all disciplinarians, have a short shelf life. MSL is a development coach, but at some point the habs will need a systems guy, and probably another disciplinarian for a bit.

They should let teams trade coaches. You could trade back and forth, a player's coach for a tough one, and then back again once the team tunes him out. But not a whole series of old school coaches like the habs did. Who was the last player's coach, and has there been one since Demers? Vigneualt was probably the only one who tried anything new. MSL is getting 30 years of bounce...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So the fact that he took an extremely young team to the Stanley Cup finals doesn't count eh?

Not in the mood to go through a lot of gibberish, why don't you just summarize it for me, please?

TL/DR, the basic summary is coaching has a hand in the positive or negative development of a prospect.

My own take:

I mean, this cannot be disputed. Even In “the real world”, you have both good and shit bosses. Those bosses can directly influence the quality of work you put out in the near and long term.

Are KK and Chucky at fault for their own development? Of course they are to an extent. You’re an elite athlete and you have a responsibility to yourself and your team to put the work in. Are the coaches and organization blameless? Of course not, that should also be a given.

Let‘s put it this way… if development was NOT a problem, HuGo would not have hired Nicholas, MPP, Boucher and all the other coaching and analytics staff.

Reactions: Sorinth

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sorry, do I need to use different buzz words or something to be up to your standard?
You need not define generations by societal movements. Gen Ys and gen Zs arent more sensitive than gen Xs and boomers. Science and society just evolved further and noticed that not everyone, if any, require a kick in the butt to be better.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
You need not define generations by societal movements. Gen Ys and gen Zs arent more sensitive than gen Xs and boomers. Science and society just evolved further and noticed that not everyone, if any, require a kick in the butt to be better.
Sorry Mr better #1 person.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If tough-love coaching actually worked well in the long term then they wouldn't get fired every few years which is what happened with them no matter the generation.

Even a guy like Pacioretty who says he loved it under Therrien, well he also has great things to say about Cunneyworth who didn't have that that yell all the time approach. I'm pretty sure if you google you'll find an article about how Cunneyworth's soft-touchy-feely approach helped turn Pacioretty into an NHL player. And in vegas he said the positive environment was a big factor in him turning it around and producing.

At the end of the day even when a kick in the butt "works" it doesn't mean that it was the only way to get the player going.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Naw, he would have survived Therrien imo, he was just too good at a young age. In fact, PK’s Norris season there was actually strong debate because of his ice time and usage he didn’t deserve it. I actually think he did enough to overcome that as he has no control over ice time/deployments.
MT was doing his best to f*** that up too. Had PK on 2nd pair, limiting his pk minutes etc. he had nothing to do with PK’s development. He’s an sorry sack of shit. Embarrassing to have gutless pukes like him coaching nhl players. He was a terrible tactical coach too, no f***ing clue on how to give advice. Work harder and grind these guys was his answer to everything, no team should have to deal with incompetence like this.
Don’t forget that they didn’t really get behind him for Team Canada either.

Honestly I don’t think he makes it under MT. MT was all about showing people‘who’s boss.’ He talent was awesome though. I think moat likely he gets traded.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Revisionist history. Galchenyuk scored 30 under Therrien at age 21-22 and started the next year near 1 ppg as well until he got hurt. I don't know if he rehabbed properly, but he was finally healthy again a few weeks after returning and by then Julien was the coach and Julien buried him. Preferred Dwight King and other crapola to a proven 16-30 goal scorer (did it 7 straight years).
Go look at the game logs.

It was the worst example of coaching I can remember in recent history.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don’t forget that they didn’t really get behind him for Team Canada either.

Honestly I don’t think he makes it under MT. MT was all about showing people‘who’s boss.’ He talent was awesome though. I think moat likely he gets traded.
Naw they were actively campaigning against him. I need to stop discussing the two of them. The more I think about what they did to this franchise the more angry I get.

For the first time in my life I couldn’t watch the Therrien coached Habs. I went from watching every single game for years to a handful under this group. It started with Therrien and ended with Bergevin. I got back into a bit when Julien returned because I was excited to have anyone aside from Michel running the team, but I found Julien to be more of the same except well meaning and respectful. Bergevin nearly ruined my Habs fandom forever. I didn’t switch to another team. I just jumped on the Raps/Jays bandwagon because they were at least fun to watch. MSL and Hugo have me excited to be Habs fan again. At least we know they have a plan and will pick a direction. Whether it works remains to be seen, but they’re going to do their best and they’re all smart dudes.

Reactions: dcyhabs and ReHabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad