What went wrong with Foudy

What went wrong with Foudy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
There's lots of things to blame management for. Foudy not being able to stick on a middling NHL roster (to put it generously) is not one of them.
His speed/skating is a legit asset and has essentially never been utilized correctly on a line. I’m not looking it up because I don’t care that much, but I can guarantee his average TOI is ridiculously low, and his linemates have been terrible when looking at the impact they will have on Foudy’s stat sheet.

Foudy has never been used with offensive players or gotten heavy ice time when goals were needed, so why is his value only being judged in this way??

He WAS the best skater on the team. And his offensive ability/skill is still being RIDICULOUSLY underrated in relation to all the other “bottom 6” players he’s often compared to around the CBJ and the NHL in general.

Is it really hard to understand that him skating so fast around the ice could impact him losing his balance more than some other more cautious and stationary players? Is it hard to understand the concept that it’s harder to stickhandle at a much higher speed than when you’re barely moving??

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is it really hard to understand that him skating so fast around the ice could impact him losing his balance more than some other more cautious and stationary players? Is it hard to understand the concept that it’s harder to stickhandle at a much higher speed than when you’re barely moving??
They're not hard to understand. But if one cannot consistently correct for those problems then the skating ability's usefulness is considerably curtailed.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree he is right now at least as good and likely better than E-Rob. There is a reason Foudy was claimed off waivers and E-Rob was not.

I’m saying Foudy is better right now than Robinson was at his best 2-3 years ago. And that Robinson was hyped up, and I’d say most still seem to value him more even now. Which I find ridiculous.

That said, your comment about being down with this management because "Foudy should have been kept on the team/roster over multiple people the last few years": when was this supposed to be.

2018-2019: draft year, highly doubt he was ready for the NHL at that point
2019-2020: d+1 year: do you really blame the team for sending him back to Juniors for an extra year of experience? If he had busted in the NHL everyone would have bitched he was rushed
2020-2021: Started season in AHL, played well but was injured before he could be called up. When healthy he was called up and played 24 games
2021-2022: Was up all season and played 62 games

So you are angry he didn't make the club in his draft year or his d+1 year? Are you angry he wasn't called up the year he missed significant time with an injury but still got 24 NHL games to close out the season? You angry he only played 62 games last year?
My wording could have been a bit better. My main point is that we’ve kept up similarly younger (and arguably worse) players on the team the last few years while the team was losing and given them extended looks with better players and higher in the lineup, and while some have looked good at times, we surely haven’t gotten exceptional results from any individual players (other than Marchenko maybe) or the team overall.

Your years are off a bit.

What type of icetime and linemates did he have in 20/21?? Why did he play 29 games in the AHL and only 1 in the NHL in 21/22?? How soon we forget Gregory Hoffman, eh?

You wanna bitch about management's mishandling development of players I suspect there are some pretty good examples but I am not convinced Foudy is one of them.

And when did people become convinced William Karlsson was? Or the current goalie situation??

As for who they should have sent down or released instead of Foudy from this specific roster, you certainly could argue for Peeke or Boqvist but clearly the CBJ wanted it to be a forward and I don't think I see another forward on this roster I'd have sent down before Foudy...maybe Bemmer?

Sillinger and Johnson, now and in the past. Chinakhov in the past. Robinson/Kuraly/Roslovic now. Sure even Bemstrom too. Foudy brings the things essentially no other player can bring, not even Danforth, and they are all the things Robinson was hyped up and overrated for in the past. Robinson is a poor man’s Foudy yet it’s being treated the other way around. Foudy can be a legit impactful 3C, mark my words.

For the CBJ it sucks he got claimed, I am sure Jarmo really didn't want to do it and we believe he was trying hard to move a roster player via trade all summer and through training camp in order to avoid this situation but the market right now sucks. I am not happy we lost Foudy for nothing but I am also not torching management over this specific move.
You will when perception catches up to reality, as it has many times in the past.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I’m saying Foudy is better right now than Robinson was at his best 2-3 years ago. And that Robinson was hyped up, and I’d say most still seem to value him more even now. Which I find ridiculous.

My wording could have been a bit better. My main point is that we’ve kept up similarly younger (and arguably worse) players on the team the last few years while the team was losing and given them extended looks with better players and higher in the lineup, and while some have looked good at times, we surely haven’t gotten exceptional results from any individual players (other than Marchenko maybe) or the team overall.

Your years are off a bit.

What type of icetime and linemates did he have in 20/21?? Why did he play 29 games in the AHL and only 1 in the NHL in 21/22?? How soon we forget Gregory Hoffman, eh?

And when did people become convinced William Karlsson was? Or the current goalie situation??

Sillinger and Johnson, now and in the past. Chinakhov in the past. Robinson/Kuraly/Roslovic now. Sure even Bemstrom too. Foudy brings the things essentially no other player can bring, not even Danforth, and they are all the things Robinson was hyped up and overrated for in the past. Robinson is a poor man’s Foudy yet it’s being treated the other way around. Foudy can be a legit impactful 3C, mark my words.

You will when perception catches up to reality, as it has many times in the past.
In 20-21 he averaged his highest average ice time. He bounced back and forth between NHL and AHL. He wasn't producing in Columbus, would get sent down and play well, go back up and do nothing. There were games he got over 14 minutes a game. That was under Torts for his last year.

21-22 he was in Cleveland to start and played well. I think he was supposed to be there all year. He was called up for one game, probably to play for an injury or something, and went right back down. That was January 15. He played in Cleveland until January 30th, then was done for the year hurt.

I honestly don't think he is good enough for the NHL. He is a good AHL player, but I don't know if his game translates. We will see what happens in Nashville.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A guy who can't stay on his feet, can't turn at speed, and can't move quickly through traffic is not the best skater on the team.

Reactions: LJ7 and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I would like someone to interview him in a couple of years and ask if he ever felt there was a plan for his development. I want that followed up with whether he felt the actions of the team matched what they were telling him.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Good luck to him in Nashville.

He was drafted because of a skill (speed), maybe another team or another system can get more out of him.

It hurts to lose a first round pick (for nothing) but if he had a market (to be traded) I'm sure Jarmo looked into it. These things happen when you draft 18-19 year old kids, some develop, some don't.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
liam foudy has more career points (19) than fellow 2018 first rounders: vitali kravtsov (9th overall pick, 12 points), grigori denisenko (15th, 7p), martin kaut (16th, 11p), jay o'brien (19th, 0 gp) ryan merkley (21st, 6p), filip johansson (24th, 0 gp), dominik bokk (25th, 0 gp), jacob bernard-docker (26th, 2p), nic beaudin (27th, 6p) and alex alexeyev (31st, 5p).

he was the 18th overall pick – if you did a redraft of just first-round players from that draft, he probably goes right around where they picked him.

also worth noting that the draft is a crapshoot after the first 10-12 picks in most years, and 2018 was the weakest draft in recent memory.

if he was a top-10 pick, or if most of the guys taken in the 10 picks after him were stars, i'd be calling him a bust. but within the context of his own draft, he's not actually a bust.

"what went wrong" with foudy isn't a matter of the player, pick or development so much as it is that the jackets had a non-premium pick in a horrendously bad draft.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I would like someone to interview him in a couple of years and ask if he ever felt there was a plan for his development. I want that followed up with whether he felt the actions of the team matched what they were telling him.
i'd say that the issue here is more with your expectations, given that foudy was a non-premium pick in a weak draft and always profiled as a complimentary piece, not a star.

quick reminder to anyone who wants to turn this into a front office gripe: columbus had arguably the best draft, given where their picks actually fell, of any team in 2018.

the blue jackets are actually tied (with montreal, chicago and detroit) for the most 2018 draft picks with 15+ NHL games played. montreal (3rd), detroit (6th) and chicago (8th) all had a top-10 pick in that draft. they also all had more picks (chicago 8, detroit 10, montreal 11) than columbus (6).

obviously that's more of an indictment on the draft class (which, to be fair, was heavily impacted by covid) but the point remains.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
i'd say that the issue here is more with your expectations, given that foudy was a non-premium pick in a weak draft and always profiled as a complimentary piece, not a star.

I’d say the issue is I am a professional and in my job, whether something goes well or goes badly, we typically do a post mortem and try to figure out why. I expect the Jackets to be doing the same. I expect any media member who covers the Jackets to be doing the same. So that is why I said “I would like someone to interview him in a couple of years and ask if he ever felt there was a plan for his development.”

I’d also like someone to interview staff members of the Blue Jackets, teammates, etc. Maybe he doesn’t work hard. Maybe he sees hockey as a paycheck and doesn’t love the sport. Maybe his injuries were more serious than we were told and his body can’t play at an NHL level. Maybe he stays up all night playing Fortnite but he was smart enough to use an alias and not tell anyone. This team has absolutely horrific media coverage so we will probably never know.

Anyway, you do a post mortem and hopefully learn from your mistakes and repeat your successes.

And, as I have said, it was a pretty bad draft class. I was looking back at 1996 today. That was an interesting class. Chara was in that class. Not much else was.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Perception vs Reality

He’s better now than the hyped up to shit Eric Robinson from a few years ago.

I’m about done with this management team. Foudy should have been kept on the team/roster over multiple people the last few years. Way more skilled and a much better overall hockey player than he gets credit for from the “CBJ fans”. Dude was never given a chance.

Can’t wait for the, “It wasn’t happening in Columbus” Foudy posts in the future.

When??

Playing how many minutes and with who??
I mean he played with different teammates. Don’t you remember his infamous goalless streak? He was still kept up and played a lot of games

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The Athletic did a "redraft" last fall. Marchenko was ranked 12th behind Kotkaniemi.

At 18 they have Alexander Romanov followed by Oliver Wahlstrom at 19.
Adam Boqvist is ranked 25th.

Foudy is ranked 54th.

It was not a good draft class. The only players worth a lick taken after Foudy in that 1st round were K'Andre Miller (D) and Rasmus Sandin (D). Samuelsson (D) went 32nd. I think after loading up on D in 2015 and taking Peeke in the 2nd round of 2016, Jarmo was probably more focused on getting a forward in the 1st round. Just a guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad