What went wrong with Foudy

What went wrong with Foudy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
He has one attribute, speed. No hands, no IQ, no shot, no passing. We're not missing anything, not to mention that 2018 draft class was awful.

Reactions: Crede777

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
IMG_3651.jpeg

this was my post from my other account (lost my password) in his draft thread.

I am looking back 5 years later and laughing…… at how big of a reach it was by Jarmo and co.

sigh.

also, 5 years?! time is a surreal thing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The real answer is the 2018 draft, almost everyone taken around him has been put on waivers if not outright released. Foudy at least got claimed by someone!

But regarding his skating, he really lacks dynamic ability in his movement. He's a straight line skater only and lacks agility and the ability to stay on his feet in traffic. The hands and smarts were less of a problem, ironically he could have been a middle six scorer if he was a more versatile skater.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He has one attribute, speed. No hands, no IQ, no shot, no passing. We're not missing anything, not to mention that 2018 draft class was awful.

I think we've all got it backwards with Foudy. He reads the play well and can make a good pass, but the slightest breeze around him he loses control of the play. I think it's not really a hands thing, he can execute standing still but can't stay on pucks in dynamic situations.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Maybe it was something in the water in London, ON. A quick glance over the rosters during the Foudy years show 6 first round picks (Foudy, our own Boqvist, Conner McMichael, Max Jones, Olli Juolevi and Evan Bouchard). At this point, it would seem only Bouchard has a chance to live up to his drafting position.

It's Dale Hunter's (coach/gm) of the London Knights fault.

I think that he was projected to improve upon his offensive abilities/thinking so that combined with his skating he would turn into a middle-of-the-road NHLer. It just didn't work out here. Perhaps if he's put in a 4th line/energy and PK role he can have an NHL career. His explosive speed will earn him that chance in Nashville and perhaps elsewhere.

Last edited:

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I always said I think COVID screwed up his (and many other players drafted from 17-20) development. Lost his the playoffs of final junior season, spent more time of the next season on 71 between Cleveland and Columbus because of taxi squad, then missed most of the 1st normal season in 3 years because of an injury (broken wrist If I recall correctly.) He seemed to be putting it together a bit at the end of last year. Sadly it didn't continue into this year. Wish him the best

Reactions: squashmaple

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The real answer is the 2018 draft, almost everyone taken around him has been put on waivers if not outright released. Foudy at least got claimed by someone!

That is where I am. We have the 8th pick in that draft sitting in the press box. 3 of the 7 picks after Foudy haven’t played in the NHL, another (Ryan Merkley) is a Canadian who is currently playing for Kunlun Red Star. The 3 picks before Foudy are Denisenko, Kaut, and Ty Smith.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That is where I am. We have the 8th pick in that draft sitting in the press box. 3 of the 7 picks after Foudy haven’t played in the NHL, another (Ryan Merkley) is a Canadian who is currently playing for Kunlun Red Star. The 3 picks before Foudy are Denisenko, Kaut, and Ty Smith.
The 9th pick isnt even in the league anymore. Zadina had his contract terminated in an attempt to try to get another look on a worse team. Was just a bad draft with many misses. I did want K'Andre Miller though, from time to time I get it right.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I went with drafted too high and other - other ebbing he’s just not particularly good.

i agree with those who said it just wasn’t a good draft class

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Perception vs Reality

He’s better now than the hyped up to shit Eric Robinson from a few years ago.

I’m about done with this management team. Foudy should have been kept on the team/roster over multiple people the last few years. Way more skilled and a much better overall hockey player than he gets credit for from the “CBJ fans”. Dude was never given a chance.

Can’t wait for the, “It wasn’t happening in Columbus” Foudy posts in the future.

I’m pretty sure he had more opportunities than a lot of other prospects on other teams

He’s just not that good

When??

Playing how many minutes and with who??

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I just checked his game log for last season. After going 63 career reg season games without a goal,
he scored 7 in his last 27-a 20 goals per year pace. A quick glance seemed to indicate that he was getting more ice time when his productivity increased.

Perhaps bus88 is on the money here. If he ends up being a 15-20 goal scorer in the future, then it's safe to say that management goofed this up. Which would be a first for this crew;)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wouldn’t be surprised if Foudy does turn into a PKing 3rd liner capable of 10-15 goals

The problem is, those guys are dime a dozen. We got that from Robinson for years. And that’s Foudys upside.

So even if he does rebound well and carve out a role for himself, he’s still a replacement level player.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Perception vs Reality

He’s better now than the hyped up to shit Eric Robinson from a few years ago.

I’m about done with this management team. Foudy should have been kept on the team/roster over multiple people the last few years. Way more skilled and a much better overall hockey player than he gets credit for from the “CBJ fans”. Dude was never given a chance.

Can’t wait for the, “It wasn’t happening in Columbus” Foudy posts in the future...
I agree he is right now at least as good and likely better than E-Rob. There is a reason Foudy was claimed off waivers and E-Rob was not.

That said, your comment about being down with this management because "Foudy should have been kept on the team/roster over multiple people the last few years": when was this supposed to be.

2018-2019: draft year, highly doubt he was ready for the NHL at that point
2019-2020: d+1 year: do you really blame the team for sending him back to Juniors for an extra year of experience? If he had busted in the NHL everyone would have bitched he was rushed
2020-2021: Started season in AHL, played well but was injured before he could be called up. When healthy he was called up and played 24 games
2021-2022: Was up all season and played 62 games

So you are angry he didn't make the club in his draft year or his d+1 year? Are you angry he wasn't called up the year he missed significant time with an injury but still got 24 NHL games to close out the season? You angry he only played 62 games last year?

You wanna bitch about management's mishandling development of players I suspect there are some pretty good examples but I am not convinced Foudy is one of them.

As for who they should have sent down or released instead of Foudy from this specific roster, you certainly could argue for Peeke or Boqvist but clearly the CBJ wanted it to be a forward and I don't think I see another forward on this roster I'd have sent down before Foudy...maybe Bemmer?

For the CBJ it sucks he got claimed, I am sure Jarmo really didn't want to do it and we believe he was trying hard to move a roster player via trade all summer and through training camp in order to avoid this situation but the market right now sucks. I am not happy we lost Foudy for nothing but I am also not torching management over this specific move.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree he is right now at least as good and likely better than E-Rob. There is a reason Foudy was claimed off waivers and E-Rob was not.

That said, your comment about being down with this management because "Foudy should have been kept on the team/roster over multiple people the last few years": when was this supposed to be.

2018-2019: draft year, highly doubt he was ready for the NHL at that point
2019-2020: d+1 year: do you really blame the team for sending him back to Juniors for an extra year of experience? If he had busted in the NHL everyone would have bitched he was rushed
2020-2021: Started season in AHL, played well but was injured before he could be called up. When healthy he was called up and played 24 games
2021-2022: Was up all season and played 62 games

So you are angry he didn't make the club in his draft year or his d+1 year? Are you angry he wasn't called up the year he missed significant time with an injury but still got 24 NHL games to close out the season? You angry he only played 62 games last year?

You wanna bitch about management's mishandling development of players I suspect there are some pretty good examples but I am not convinced Foudy is one of them.

As for who they should have sent down or released instead of Foudy from this specific roster, you certainly could argue for Peeke or Boqvist but clearly the CBJ wanted it to be a forward and I don't think I see another forward on this roster I'd have sent down before Foudy...maybe Bemmer?

For the CBJ it sucks he got claimed, I am sure Jarmo really didn't want to do it and we believe he was trying hard to move a roster player via trade all summer and through training camp in order to avoid this situation but the market right now sucks. I am not happy we lost Foudy for nothing but I am also not torching management over this specific move.
Foudy was claimed because hes cheap depth. His deal is slightly under half of Robinson's deal. Being young doesnt hurt either.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Foudy placed back on waivers at some point

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If folks are actually sad about this, consider that Nashville doesn't seem to have a roster spot for the taking and will have to give the Jackets a chance to reclaim him if they send him down. That would allow the Jackets to put Foudy in Cleveland directly. Would the Jackets reclaim him? I'm honestly not sure, they might value having the space in Cleveland for younger prospects. It's crowded there.

Right now, no. He's younger which is the appeal for Nashville, who also claimed Fagemo.

Robinson is the better player but no one thinks he might improve on what he is and most importantly he's paid twice as much. If he was making $775k then win now teams would be lining up to claim him.

Foudy was claimed because hes cheap depth. His deal is slightly under half of Robinson's deal. Being young doesnt hurt either.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Foudy placed back on waivers at some point

You beat me to it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I dare say you’re never too far off if you say “poor development by the CBJ”.

And the player just doesn’t offer enough/isn’t that good.

But the answer given the choices is the draft class one.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wouldn’t be surprised if Foudy does turn into a PKing 3rd liner capable of 10-15 goals

The problem is, those guys are dime a dozen. We got that from Robinson for years. And that’s Foudys upside.

So even if he does rebound well and carve out a role for himself, he’s still a replacement level player.
The good news for those who want to blame management is they can blame them for taking him if he never does anything or blame them for giving up on him/messing up his development if he does.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
We have no good established depth players for these young guys to play with and learn from. That's the problem IMO. Our good depth guys for years were forced to play much higher in the lineup. Foudy and frankly a lot of our other young players are forced to play with failing younger players that can't really elevate or show them the ropes. Therefore we go through a constant revolving door of draft picks at forward that don't work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad