What was wrong with JVR at center?

ARZ*

When JVR played center a season or two ago what went wrong? I didnt watch the games but I heard many things. Does Babcock try it again and maybe teach him to be a good center. I would love for him to be a center. A fast 6"3 200 center.

ARZ*

When JVR played center a season or two ago what went wrong? I didnt watch the games but I heard many things. Does Babcock try it again and maybe teach him to be a good center. I would love for him to be a center. A fast 6"3 200 center. I know hes not great defensively but he wasnt always like that.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
When JVR played center a season or two ago what went wrong? I didnt watch the games but I heard many things. Does Babcock try it again and maybe teach him to be a good center. I would love for him to be a center. A fast 6"3 200 center.

Appears to have little hockey sense or interest in playing 15' away from the opposition goal.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
he played center, when i swear he was always playing wing with kessel and bozak

He played it a while back when things weren't going well (shocking right).

Anyway I think he played it for like 10-15 games and those were easily his worst as a Leaf. So yeah, let's no try that again.

ARZ*

Lets say he is tried at center in training camp and maybe Babcock can get him to play deeper into his own zone would he be an effective center.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
He played it a while back when things weren't going well (shocking right).

Anyway I think he played it for like 10-15 games and those were easily his worst as a Leaf. So yeah, let's no try that again.

Ya... he played center when practically everyone else was unavailable. He didn't look good at all.

It's not to say that he couldn't learn... but that's probably a really bad idea.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Ya after Kessel - JVR was gonna be the one player on the Leafs that Babcock would have the most difficult time teaching to play all 3 zones.

JVR at centre would need to skate and be responsible all the time - um that didn't work out.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
Ugh please no. Last time JVR was center he really dropped the ball defensively against opposing centers. He was frequently out of position, and a step behind due to unfamiliarity of that position at the NHL level.

I suppose if we want to tank hard it's always an option? Perhaps even get our forwards playing on D and vice versa #tanknation

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
JVR is a winger. It's what he is. We have Kadri, Bozak, and Holland who play center. Yes its not a very impressive group, but this is something that will be addressed in next years draft.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
When he switched to C his production dropped significantly. When he moved back to wing he scored again.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Played Center at the U of New Hampshire.

Could not covert this to the NHL. There are no guarantees until you can actually do it at the NHL level.

Wing is where he belongs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Lets say he is tried at center in training camp and maybe Babcock can get him to play deeper into his own zone would he be an effective center.

The guy is a winger. That's where he is most comfortable because that's where he'd played most of his career.

Why mess that up?

It was like trying to it a square peg into a round hole - didn't work. No need to try it again. He's just not comfortable there.

Sort of like throwing someone who has played D their life, into the net.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
I don't think JVR was bad defensively at centre. He wasn't able to do the job a centre does & still create offence. You also need your centres to do an excellent job in getting your line mates involved. JVR struggled with that the most at centre.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
In 2013-14, Nazem Kadri wasn't working out with James van Riemsdyk and Phil Kessel while Tyler Bozak was injured. Dave Bolland was also injured then as you know. So Carlyle decided to move JVR to centre and move one of the 2nd line wingers up (Joffrey Lupul) to the 1st line. And kept Kadri on the 2nd line.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Carlyle should have tried Kulemin at center during that stretch. Thought he looked good later on when Carlyle tried him there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To play center you need to be good on face-offs and strong defensively as defensive zone coverage and responsibilities without the puck increases significantly for a center over a winger.

JVR proved despite playing center up until draft time as a junior he wasn't qualified to play the position in the NHL.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
The guy is a winger, let it be. No use of forcing someone into a position that makes them play much worse.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
He wasn't comfortable at all playing centre. And he sucks defensively as a winger, why would you put him in more defensive role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad