What was with Craig Janney?

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Kind of reminds me a little of one of my favorite Bruins, Keith Crowder.

Played like gangbusters up to the age of 27 (38 goals / 84 points), had some injuries and his offensive stats fell in each subsequent season, eventually retiring after signing as a FA with the Kings for one year at the age of 31, (4 goals / 17 points).

Just a dramatic decline....

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Exactly, someone else said poor man's Pierre Turgeon but Pierre could actually score goals.

Very poor man version of Oates, a great playmaker but not much else, personal stuff didn't help his career much either.

oates was one of the great faceoff men of his generation and was decent defensively. i still like my spezza comparison. not undersized, but s o f t. if he wasn't passing the puck, he wasn't doing much. also, both put up more points in the playoffs than you'd think.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Still doesn't mean he had any Heart, he was notoriously soft and was an incredibly small 6'1 200+ lb player.
The guy played red-line to red-line...the center one to the one the oppositions net sits on.

He was still an effective player for those Boston teams. I have lived in Boston my entire life and saw just about all his Boston games. I'm not quibbling about soft play,
but there is a place on every team in the NHL, even today for a player of his skill set.
Care to fill me in on your accomplishments dude?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Exactly, someone else said poor man's Pierre Turgeon but Pierre could actually score goals.

I said "really poor man's Pierre Turgeon" :laugh: - and "in every way" - which includes scoring goals.

- Pierre Turgeon was a great playmaker... So was Janney, just not as great.
- Turgeon was a great goalscorer too... Janney scored a respectable amount of NHL goals
- Turgeon was nothing special defensively... Janney was worse.
- Turgeon was considered soft physically... Janney was worse.
- For such a softie, Turgeon sure managed to post numbers in the playoffs... Janney was pretty much equal in this regard, although a lot of 1988-1991 games help him here.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
oates was one of the great faceoff men of his generation and was decent defensively. i still like my spezza comparison. not undersized, but s o f t. if he wasn't passing the puck, he wasn't doing much. also, both put up more points in the playoffs than you'd think.

Maybe 2006 Spezza. Spezza shoots the puck more now and is much better defensively and on faceoffs. What about Mike Ribeiro as a comparable?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I said "really poor man's Pierre Turgeon" :laugh: - and "in every way" - which includes scoring goals.

- Pierre Turgeon was a great playmaker... So was Janney, just not as great.
- Turgeon was a great goalscorer too... Janney scored a respectable amount of NHL goals
- Turgeon was nothing special defensively... Janney was worse.
- Turgeon was considered soft physically... Janney was worse.
- For such a softie, Turgeon sure managed to post numbers in the playoffs... Janney was pretty much equal in this regard, although a lot of 1988-1991 games help him here.

You must have had a Turgeon crush, but your critique of Janney (as compared to Turgeon) is out to lunch.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
why? to be perfectly honest, I can't even tell if you're trying to say I'm over- or underrating Janney.

Heh, you're over-estimating if anything, you said Janney scored goals lol

188 goals in 760 games with a total of 3 20 goal seasons hardly compares to 515 in 1294 with a 50 goal season, 2 40's, 6 30's and 4 20's.

The rest of your assessment is bang on imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00