What was the turning point for the Preds?

dannyg79

May 29, 2017
David Poile has done some great work as the Preds GM acquiring great players through drafting and especially trading, not really that many big free agent signings or even high draft picks for that matter. They've had some great players like Paul Kariya, Shea Weber and Ryan Suter but only now they are becoming a real contending team. What moves really made the Preds the contending team they are now? Weber for Subban was a steal for sure as was the Forsberg trade (sorry caps fans :naughty:) and Rinne has been an elite goalie for almost a decade now with a few bad years here and there.

So, was there a clear turning point for the franchise since before this season they hadn't even made the western finals? sfmbe

I think in general the management has been great since the start of the franchise. It took a while to get going, and young players they developed would leave when contracts were up, and they werent really willing (or able) to pay top dollar to keep guys around. I think when they re-signed Rinne, and Weber a few years ago for long term deals, it kind of turned a corner. Even with Weber gone now, the fact they locked him up with a big deal, is how they were able to get Subban. And I think the coaching change a few years ago certainly helped.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Its a Cinderella team (or how do you say it in North Amerika?). Something like last year San Jose Sharks. I doubt, we sill see them again in finals. Or even semifinals next seasons.

dannyg79

May 29, 2017
Its a Cinderella team (or how do you say it in North Amerika?). Something like last year San Jose Sharks. I doubt, we sill see them again in finals. Or even semifinals next seasons.

I dont know I would say they are a cinderella per se, though certainly I dont think anyone would have picked them to be in the final at the start of the playoffs. But, they have been in the post season for 3 years in a row, got beat in a game 7 in the 2nd round last year, so it isnt like they came from being a bottom feeder to the finals over night.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Last year, the Preds lost to the Sharks in round 2 in 7 games. You are saying that both of those teams are Cinderellas? There is only 1 per year at best.

The year before, Nashville lost to Chicago, the SC champion, in 6 games in the first round.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about the NHL playoffs. It is a two month long grind to the finalists. Teams do not get lucky or just stumble into it.

Nashville has shown improvement during the last three playoffs when you include this year. It took a finalist and a winner to knock them out before, but you completely ignore all of that!

I would not be surprised to see Nashville be in the semis next year or the year after. After that, it is hard to say. The Preds did not have the ridiculus travel in this year's playoffs like in the past. That definitely helped them. That was a turning point!

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I think it goes back to hiring Laviolette. Him and his more offense minded system has allowed players like Forsberg, Josi and Ellis to step up and Poile to make deals like Jones for Johansen and Weber for Subban that I don't think would necessarily have happened had Trotz been here.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think it was Game 2 in CHI. Game 1 was a 1-0 squeaker where CHI was generally the better team imo. Game 2 was all NSH 5-0; it solidified back to back shutouts on their ice and really stole the wind from their sails to facilitate the sweep imo. Once the #1 team in the West was out, the path to the SCF was there and I think the team really felt like they were the best group left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad