What was the most productive line centered by Yzerman & Sakic?

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
I'm curious who people think were Yzerman's & Sakic's best, most productive linemates when they played together as a unit. Esposito had Hodge, Lemaire had Lafleur, Trottier had Bossy, Gretzky had Kurri, Lemieux had Jagr, Toews has Kane. What about Yzerman & Sakic and Crosby while were at it?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Even in his Hart season, I never saw a better linemate for Joe Sakic than Andrew Brunette. Those guys were absolutely perfect for one another

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk dominated the 2001 playoffs. I hate them.

For Yzerman, I'd say Shanahan.

Hossa was obviously Crosby's best linemate, but they played together for such a short period of time, I'm not sure if it counts. Maybe Guerin?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
sakic|forsberg were a pretty good combo, although two centers

yzerman ... dino ciccarelli|brendan shanahan?

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I'm curious who people think were Yzerman's & Sakic's best, most productive linemates when they played together as a unit. Esposito had Hodge, Lemaire had Lafleur, Trottier had Bossy, Gretzky had Kurri, Lemieux had Jagr, Toews has Kane. What about Yzerman & Sakic and Crosby while were at it?

Lemieux and Jagr did not play together all that much actually.

Lemieux had Stevens, would be a much more apt way to put it.

As for Yzerman, his big point years he played pretty consistently with Gerard Gallant as his LW. You could pretty much pencil Gallant in for 35 goals and 220+ penalty minutes during those years, lol.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Those ones are just not like the other ones.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk dominated the 2001 playoffs. I hate them.

For Yzerman, I'd say Shanahan.

Hossa was obviously Crosby's best linemate, but they played together for such a short period of time, I'm not sure if it counts. Maybe Guerin?

Yeah, but the only reason Sakic was playing with them was because Forsberg was hurt for most of that run. Sakic usually ended up with the "second" tier wingers on the team. Forsberg, Hejduk, and Tanguay were a deadly line for a couple seasons. Forsberg also had Valeri Kamensky and Claude Lemieux during their '96 run. Meanwhile Joe was putting up huge numbers playing with guys like Scott Young and Adam Deadmarsh, good players in their own right but not in the same stature as Forsberg's wingers. Sakic has never really had that one guy that ran beside him for years; he's always done it with a different someone. I think that is what makes him even more special as a player.

As for Yzerman, during his most productive seasons in the 80's and 90's he usually had Gerard Gallant as a sidekick. Gallant probably scored the most goals as Yzerman's winger but probably had the longest stay as a linemate. Patrolling the other wing was Bob Probert and he had several very good seasons as well...

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Yeah, but the only reason Sakic was playing with them was because Forsberg was hurt for most of that run. Sakic usually ended up with the "second" tier wingers on the team. Forsberg, Hejduk, and Tanguay were a deadly line for a couple seasons.

Other way around, actually. Sakic had Tanguay and Hejduk while Forsberg had Drury and (for the most part) Nieminen. When Forsberg dropped out of the playoffs because of his spleen, Sakic's line remained untouched while Hinote was moved up to the second-line. When Forsberg returned in the 2002 Playoffs, he went back to working the second-line with Drury and Reinprecht. It wasn't until 2002-03 that Forsberg took over for Sakic on the first-line with Hejduk and Tanguay, and not unlike Sakic, he had enough chemistry with them to produce at a Hart level (Tanguay, himself, had a bit of a resurgence after Hartley was fired that year).

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Other way around, actually. Sakic had Tanguay and Hejduk while Forsberg had Drury and (for the most part) Nieminen. When Forsberg dropped out of the playoffs because of his spleen, Sakic's line remained untouched while Hinote was moved up to the second-line. When Forsberg returned in the 2002 Playoffs, he went back to working the second-line with Drury and Reinprecht. It wasn't until 2002-03 that Forsberg took over for Sakic on the first-line with Hejduk and Tanguay, and not unlike Sakic, he had enough chemistry with them to produce at a Hart level (Tanguay, himself, had a bit of a resurgence after Hartley was fired that year).

You are right. I guess I am getting too old to remember all the line combinations. I will stick to trying to remember the team names from now on...:dunce:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad