What was the Habs line-up for the last game of both the 86 and 93 finals?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/lak-...e_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=stats

Going from that the lines was probably something like this

Damphousse-Muller-Bellows
LeClair-DiPietro-Leeman
Brunet-Carbo-Keane
Dionne-Lebeau-Ronan

Schneider-Odelein
Dufresne-Desjardins
JJD-brisebois

Surprised Dufresne was in the lineup instead of Haller or Hill who were obviously better dman than him. Maybe they were injured can't recall honestly. That was only the 2nd game by Dufresne in the playoffs so he was not a regular by any mean. Denis Savard was injured too so keep that in mind when looking at the lineup.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/lak-...e_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=stats

LeClair-DiPietro-Leeman
Brunet-Carbo-Keane
Dionne-Lebeau-Ronan

Schneider-Odelein
Dufresne-Desjardins
JJD-brisebois

Surprised Dufresne was in the lineup instead of Haller or Hill who were obviously better dman than him. Maybe they were injured can't recall honestly. That was only the 2nd game by Dufresne in the playoffs so he was not a regular by any mean. Denis Savard was injured too so keep that in mind when looking at the lineup.

Now that was a team! That's why they won the cup. No real superstars but had balanced scoring with solid D and a great Goalie. This years team is similar!

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Now that was a team! That's why they won the cup. No real superstars but had balanced scoring with solid D and a great Goalie. This years team is similar!

Err...if I recall correctly, we won because Roy played like a God and kept us in the game long enough for somebody to score. Our offence, err...leaved much to be desired...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Err...if I recall correctly, we won because Roy played like a God and kept us in the game long enough for somebody to score. Our offence, err...leaved much to be desired...

Actually while Roy was the hero it's not like the team only relied on him.

- We won the last 2 games against the Nords 5-4 and 6-2.

- We won the 4 games in the 2nd round 4-3.

- We won the last 2 games of the semis 4-1 and 5-2.

- We won the 3rd game of the final 4-3 and the final game 4-1.

The team scored 4+ goals in 11 of the 16 wins.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Think about what your saying. They won the cup. Stop complaining about the offense. Its a team game and every good team has good goal tending. Also, here are some stats for you (actual facts!)... Habs scored 326 goals in 92/93 and finished 9th in scoring. This year they are 4th in scoring after 16 games.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is there a place where we can find that info? Would like to see the complete line-up on attack and defense.

thanks for the help

'86 was the year of the rookie I remember.

Naslund/Smith/Dahlin I think.
Lemieux was with McPHEE, Skrudland.
Richer/Walter/Momesso.
Gainey with Carbonneau. For some reason I can't recall Nilan in the finals but he must have been there.

Robinson and Ludwig
Chelios and Gingras.
Lalor and Green.

Roy and Soetaert in net of course.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
'86 was the year of the rookie I remember.

Naslund/Smith/Dahlin I think.
Lemieux was with McPHEE, Skrudland.
Richer/Walter/Momesso.
Gainey with Carbonneau. For some reason I can't recall Nilan in the finals but he must have been there.

Robinson and Ludwig
Chelios and Gingras.
Lalor and Green.

Roy and Soetaert in net of course.

Naslund was the last guy to score over 100pts for the Habs... 110 pts in 80 games (85/86). 30 years ago! Crazy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Naslund was the last guy to score over 100pts for the Habs... 110 pts in 80 games (85/86). 30 years ago! Crazy

I have the final game of '86 season on VHS somewhere. I recall them saying a Black Hawks goalie leading the league in save percentage that season...at .903 save percentage. lol Game has changed a lot in 30 years

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Yeah our matchups were very favorable, especially the powerhouse penguins losing in the first round to the isles, and then iirc turgeon was injured in the second round?

Don't remember who were the favourite out of the Campbell conference, but I don't think it was the kings either

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Dufresne dressed over Kevin Haller because without that game he would not have got his name on the Cup. As I recall he was tremendously grateful afterward.

I'm still a little stunned at how quickly Dionne washed out of the NHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dufresne dressed over Kevin Haller because without that game he would not have got his name on the Cup. As I recall he was tremendously grateful afterward.

I'm still a little stunned at how quickly Dionne washed out of the NHL.

Was about to post exactly that.
And I'm pretty sure Rob Ramage was injured, too.

From what I can gather, the D-pairs would be

Dufresne - Desjardins
Odelein - Schneider
JJD - Brisebois

VERY ODD grouping, but whatever.

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I'm not sure if Ramage was scratched or injured. I'm still not really sure on Denis Savard - people really didn't talk about it much.

JJD, Desjardins, Schneider and Brisebois were all really good at making the first pass out of the zone. The latter three made for an impressive grouping of young D. Even Odelein was pretty reliable. He played for Canada in the 1996 World Cup.

I went to almost every playof game in standing room that year. Guys like Ronan and DiPietro played the best hockey of their lives. It was fun to watch.

Jul 6, 2016
I'm not sure if Ramage was scratched or injured. I'm still not really sure on Denis Savard - people really didn't talk about it much.

JJD, Desjardins, Schneider and Brisebois were all really good at making the first pass out of the zone. The latter three made for an impressive grouping of young D. Even Odelein was pretty reliable. He played for Canada in the 1996 World Cup.

I went to almost every playof game in standing room that year. Guys like Ronan and DiPietro played the best hockey of their lives. It was fun to watch.

Denis Savard was injured. He was behind the bench with Demers in the last game.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Denis Savard was injured. He was behind the bench with Demers in the last game.

That was the official story - but at the time many people thought he was just scratched and the injury was a respectful way to handle it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That was the official story - but at the time many people thought he was just scratched and the injury was a respectful way to handle it.

I remember that. Savard was basically done 3 years after the trade was made.

He signed in Tampa bay in the summer of 93

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

No Habs touched the 70 points mark since Plekanec in 2009-2010 and the last PPG player (for more than 70 games) was Kovalev in 2007-2008 (84 pts in 82 gp).

The best season by a current Hab is tied 101st in team history (total points, not PPG).

Joe Malone has the best PPG season with 48 points (44 goals :amazed: , 4 assists) in 20 games back in 1917-1918.

Best modern-ish season was Lafleur 1.70 ppg (56 goals, 80 assists, 136 pts) in 1974-1975.

Best post 30 teams expansion was the Kovalev 2007-2008 season with 1.02 PPG (Galchenyuk is 1.06 PPG right now :naughty: ).

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

IIRC, it's a little bit of both. Savard was injured during the POs, but he could have played the last game. Jacques Demers said that putting Savard in uniform would have changed the line-up that was doing so well, and would have sent a message to the Kings that they were hoping to win the Cup that night, and so it could have been an extra motivation for them.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Actually while Roy was the hero it's not like the team only relied on him.

- We won the last 2 games against the Nords 5-4 and 6-2.

- We won the 4 games in the 2nd round 4-3.

- We won the last 2 games of the semis 4-1 and 5-2.

- We won the 3rd game of the final 4-3 and the final game 4-1.

The team scored 4+ goals in 11 of the 16 wins.

We also won the Cup because we managed to win 10 overtimes in a row....

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver

LeClair-DiPietro-Leeman
Brunet-Carbo-Keane
Dionne-Lebeau-Ronan

Schneider-Odelein
Dufresne-Desjardins
JJD-brisebois

Right players, wrong lines. The lines were:

LeClair--Muller--Bellows
Damphousse--Lebeau--Keane
Dionne--DiPietro--Leeman
Brunet--Carbonneau--Ronan

Dufresne*--Desjardins
Schneider--Odelein
Daigneault--Brisebois

Dufresne actually played very little, w/ Desjardins double shifted a lot to both the left and right sides. Demers paired him at even-strength w/ everyone but Schneider, though those two were on the 1st PP together.

1986 was:

Naslund--Smith--Boisvert
McPhee--Skrudland--Lemieux
Gainey--Carbonneau--Walter
(Rooney--Kordic)--Maley

Gingras--Robinson
Ludwig--Chelios
Green--Lalor

Habs didn't really run a true 4th line in the game due to injuries. Habs essentially just played three lines w/ various players inserted @ RW. Richer, who largely played center that playoffs, and Nilan, who typically skated on the starboard side of Carbonneau's line, were both out due to injury. Dahlin was either hurt or scratched, can't remember which. Regardless, he was watching from upstairs. The only really set line was the Skrudland line. RW on the Smith and Carbonneau lines were one of Walter, Boisvert or Maley, used interchangeably. I seem to recall Walter playing some center, but Perron mainly ran w/ just Smith, Carbonneau, and Skrudland. Kordic & Rooney were used VERY sparingly. This was actually the only game Rooney dressed for during the playoffs.
Robinson and Green were also often paired for defensive zone starts and were the top PK pairing.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

LeClair-DiPietro-Leeman
Brunet-Carbo-Keane
Dionne-Lebeau-Ronan

Schneider-Odelein
Dufresne-Desjardins
JJD-brisebois

Missing a few guys from the playoff run:
Stephan Lebeau 13GP
Denis Savard 14 GP
Kevin Haller 17GP
Todd Ewen 6 GP
Mario Roberge 3GP
Sean Hill 3GP
Jesse Belanger 9 GP
Oleg Petrov 1GP
Rob Ramage 7GP
Andre Racicot 1GP
+ Marty McSorley' Stick Blade

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
The more impressive team in my mind was the 1989 roster. They won 53 games that season for 115 points (.719 winning percentage). The young guys had matured (Roy, Richer, Lemieux, Chelios, Ludwig), a great veteran core (Smith, Naslund, Carbonneau, Robinson, Gainey), some key new pieces since their '86 run (Skrudland, Courtnall, Walter, McPhee, Green) and great young prospects (Corson, Svoboda, Keane, Desjardins, Lumme, Lebeau). They also had a pretty decent rookie coach in some guy named Pat Burns

Wow! I think the '89 trumps both '86 & 93

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The more impressive team in my mind was the 1989 roster. They won 53 games that season for 115 points (.719 winning percentage). The young guys had matured (Roy, Richer, Lemieux, Chelios, Ludwig), a great veteran core (Smith, Naslund, Carbonneau, Robinson, Gainey), some key new pieces since their '86 run (Skrudland, Courtnall, Walter, McPhee, Green) and great young prospects (Corson, Svoboda, Keane, Desjardins, Lumme, Lebeau). They also had a pretty decent rookie coach in some guy named Pat Burns

Wow! I think the '89 trumps both '86 & 93

I tend to agree, but that loss to the Flames guts me to this day so I don't like to think about it. :pout:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad