What type of team are the Penguins?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Sorry if there's another thread for this or whatever. Feel free to merge if need be. Anyways.

I was thinking about different teams and the style of hockey they play....Blackhawks are a fast, possession team. Anaheim is big and physical, with some good speed. Rangers are a very fast team, etc...

I think in today's NHL it's important to have an identity for your team and to build around that identity. For awhile it seems the Penguins didn't have an identity...they'd just mix and match a bunch of players and hope it would fit.

With Johnston, he wants to play a puck possession game...but last year he did not have the correct personnel to do so. So, do the Penguins have a better team this year to execute Johnston's plan? Are they acquiring the right players to fit that mold? I think getting Kessel is a great start, and acquiring Perron helps as well.

Discuss.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
We like to play sexy on the ice (except the powerplay) and occasionally stop at a Dunkin Donuts on the way home for a little post-workout R&R.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
Jury's still out.

I think it depends on what Rutherford continues to bring in, and what Johnston does with the new pieces he's been given.

Johnston needs to change the strategy this season from last and make this team more explosive offensively.

Will he? We don't know yet, so the jury's still out on what type of team we are so far.

We're still pretty soff, though.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The Penguins are a Bold, Rold Gold-ish sort of team.

RoldGold-Hockey.jpg

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Despite some moves toward at least building toward a sensible roster around the two best players in the world, still in so many ways a

Country%20Club%20Hotel%20&%20Spa%201.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Despite some moves toward at least building toward a sensible roster around the two best players in the world, still in so many ways a

Country%20Club%20Hotel%20&%20Spa%201.jpg

Because this ultimately comes from management and ownership's approach, this is probably still true unfortunately. Hopefully the power of Kessel-burgers and Phil-fries can overpower the evils of Bushwood.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Pittsburgh puts a high premium on offensive hockey. As it should be, it's fun to watch. Think of the players the Pens have had in the years and one word comes to mind; Offense. And that's why they are one of the most popular hockey teams in the world.

Lucky is another word I'd use.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Pittsburgh puts a high premium on offensive hockey. As it should be, it's fun to watch. Think of the players the Pens have had in the years and one word comes to mind; Offense. And that's why they are one of the most popular hockey teams in the world.

Lucky is another word I'd use.

Weren't so lucky lately with injuries though... :help:

I just hope MJ can exploit their offensive abilities in a refs induced dead puck era.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly this team is now Phil s team.

I would not be shocked if Crosby called up Phil asking him if he wants captain.

But Phil be like

"Son it's time for me to take a step back and let you learn to lead"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad