What type of player would Luc Bourdon have been?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Today marks the 10 year anniversary of his death.

I'm curious to see what people think he would have projected to be if he were still alive today. Does a 30 points, two-way versatile dman seem about right?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Off topic, but tragedies like these break the hockey worlds heart. He would have been a solid defenceman.

Same with cherapanov, he could've been a fantastic forward.

It's extremely unfortunate that we lost nhl futures at such a young age. Respect goes out to all the families who lose a loved one. Just shows how you can't take anything for granted...

--------------------------

But anyways I believe Bourdon could've been a phenomenal stay at home defender. With a quite big frame he wasn't afraid of physical play, nor getting engaged. He had great defensive positioning, and would block shots that came to the inside. Didn't make many mistakes. His offensive upside wasn't so evident. I believe he'd turn out like a Nicklas Hjalmarsson.

------

R.I.P #28 :(

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
To me Bourdon and Edler came into the NHL at pretty much the same time. I always thought of Bourdon to be a bit better than Edler. So if Edler has been a 30 point two way defenceman than I have Bourdon as slightly better than that.

MikeSteaks

Sep 30, 2017
He struggled in the AHL and NHL. Maybe he could have turned it around, maybe not. RIP

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No matter his upside on the rink, it's a tragedy when a young man is gone too soon....but in Canuckland he might have been remembered as the player who went one pick before Anze Kopitar in the 2005 draft. With Kopitar in the middle the Canucks would have won the Cup in 2011 for sure.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Kris Letang said he would have been the best dman in the world if h e was still alive, said this a year ago, now when I remember watching him play I didn't see any evidence of that, I do believe he would have been a 25 point dman, that can skate, and a deadly hitter. He was a excellent skater with the puck, he had the size, he turned it over one too many times, but we will never know. very sad day I remember hearing the news and couldn't believe it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was one of those defenders who the new NHL did not treat very well. Now, its not like guys like Slavin or Lindholm don't excel now. I think a realistic outcome would have been Karl Alzner, but he also could have been Luke Schenn or Gudbranson. Defenders who got prime minutes in their draft year and couldn't get over .5 ppg are battling an up hill battle.

RIP, I wish he got the chance to prove my assessment of him wrong and made multiple All-Star games.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He was one of those defenders who the new NHL did not treat very well. Now, its not like guys like Slavin or Lindholm don't excel now. I think a realistic outcome would have been Karl Alzner, but he also could have been Luke Schenn or Gudbranson. Defenders who got prime minutes in their draft year and couldn't get over .5 ppg are battling an up hill battle.

RIP, I wish he got the chance to prove my assessment of him wrong and made multiple All-Star games.

I think he had more offensive tools then Alzner Schenn and Gudbranson

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think Bourdon would have been a Provorov type defender. What he gives up in lateral movement, he made up for with the clapper. His offensive game was just rounding into shape if I remember correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad