What to Expect from the Leafs 4th Line

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Toronto Maple Leafs fourth line may not get the fanfare of other lines. The entire group won’t get the fanfare all year that John Tavares has had already. The Maple Leafs fourth line probably isn’t even going to see much ice time this season. But it’s going to be one of the more interesting topics this season in Leaf Nation. If only because who exactly is going to play on the line may change from week to week.

What To Expect From The Toronto Maple Leafs Fourth Line - Last Word on Hockey

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Personally we need grit, hits and speed on this line. The 4th line becomes critical come playoffs.

This is why I would have loved to have Komarov back with the Leafs. But not at that price.

If Brown and Grundstrom can co-exist on the same line I would give it a shot. They both throw the body around and have speed. Them along with a center that does the same (not sure if Lindholm does) would be ideal!!!

Maybe this is where a player like Winnik or Shore come into play. Big bodied centers that throw their weight around and are not weaknesses when on the ice defensively. With Lindholm being an unknown I am not to sure we have a center to play that style right now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Time to give some back to Winnik, the guy single handedly restocked our prospect system. Give him a chance to win a cup with his favourite team.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Time to give some back to Winnik, the guy single handedly restocked our prospect system. Give him a chance to win a cup with his favourite team.

Big bodied player that isn't a defensive liability, can kill penalties and move up and down the lineup if needed in a crunch!!!

Seems like a logical Babcock type player with experience and can add to dressing room with all the young players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
so glad we have a GM that refuses to give his coach terrible grunts to play on the 4th line.

this year the 4th line should be a joy to watch, with the likes of Kappy/Leivo/Ennis/Grundstrom on it.

Best Dubas move so far. Chop down the good pros, cut that crap right out of existence.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Personally we need grit, hits and speed on this line. The 4th line becomes critical come playoffs.

This is why I would have loved to have Komarov back with the Leafs. But not at that price.

If Brown and Grundstrom can co-exist on the same line I would give it a shot. They both throw the body around and have speed. Them along with a center that does the same (not sure if Lindholm does) would be ideal!!!

Maybe this is where a player like Winnik or Shore come into play. Big bodied centers that throw their weight around and are not weaknesses when on the ice defensively. With Lindholm being an unknown I am not to sure we have a center to play that style right now.

You mean like this?

Top C in the Faceoff in the SHL last year.
Fourth in SHL scoring
Fourth in SHL +-
Played on the PK effectively.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You mean like this?

Fourth in SHL scoring
Fourth in SHL +-

This is what you need, Komarov at his best is the kind of guy that discombobulates an opposing team. Kadri rattles them pretty well. Grundy could end up useful.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Toronto Maple Leafs fourth line may not get the fanfare of other lines. The entire group won’t get the fanfare all year that John Tavares has had already. The Maple Leafs fourth line probably isn’t even going to see much ice time this season. But it’s going to be one of the more interesting topics this season in Leaf Nation. If only because who exactly is going to play on the line may change from week to week.

What To Expect From The Toronto Maple Leafs Fourth Line - Last Word on Hockey

Adam Brooks ??

Really ??

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Adam Brooks ??

Really ??

He was fourth on the list of four players who could be call-ups if they play well and injuries hit in Toronto.

Its unlikely he gets a shot, but if he shows a big jump with the Marlies this year, its possible he could be an option come February or March.... unlikely, but possible.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Could be the best 4th line we've seen in some time, with players that have the potential to eventually move up. (perhaps not the 4C, through no fault of his own)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He was fourth on the list of four players who could be call-ups if they play well and injuries hit in Toronto.

Its unlikely he gets a shot, but if he shows a big jump with the Marlies this year, its possible he could be an option come February or March.... unlikely, but possible.

Brooks still hasn't established himself as an AHLer playing far down the Marlies depth chart, and can't see how he would be a Leafs option in the near future. IMO

Leafs need a 4th line to start the NHL season and so projecting Brooks to be a late season unlikely call-up also seems remote. Recent vet UFA signings Josh Jooris and Adam Cracknell even seem more likely than Brooks to be factors in this. Wouldn't Freddy "the goat" be a more logical 4th line C option?

If Leafs have issues down the middle due to injuries then it more likely a current Leaf like Nylander switches to the middle or Marleau and Leafs bottom fill a winger where now Grundstrom becomes a far more likely option as he has already established himself as top end AHLer from last year playing in the top 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ65

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Brooks still hasn't established himself as an AHLer playing far down the Marlies depth chart, and can't see how he would be a Leafs option in the near future. IMO

The Leafs top 3 centres are great obviously. After that, the depth at Centre is relatively thin.... If there is an injury at centre? One of Par Lindblom, Josh Jooris and Frederik Gauthier will be the fourth line centre. What if there is an injury anywhere in there... could he jump two of those guys for the spot? Yes its unlikely, but given what he did in junior, its at least possible that he has a good year with the Marlies and moves up the depth chart now that he's in his second pro season.

Wouldn't be the first player to struggle as an AHL rookie and make a big jump in their second AHL season. We aren't even talking about him in a full-time role, but a potential short term-injury callup.

This isn't something where he's an option out of training camp obviously.

Reactions: Alerion

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
My 4th line dark horse has to be Grundstrom. He's really not that much of a dark horse. I think it's entirely possible that Grundstrom forces Babcock's/Dubas' hand by playing himself on to the team at training camp. He's a LW and that's the side that is least settled.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
My 4th line dark horse has to be Grundstrom. He's really not that much of a dark horse. I think it's entirely possible that Grundstrom forces Babcock's/Dubas' hand by playing himself on to the team at training camp. He's a LW and that's the side that is least settled.

Hope your right. Younger and more skilled version of Komarov.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You mean like this?

Fourth in SHL scoring
Fourth in SHL +-

i think he means someone who doesn't make contact with the head. we don't need another one of those. we need someone who can be physical but not in a stupid way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Grundstrom could be the realistic training camp surprise and push for a 4th line roster spot with an outstanding camp..

He established himself along with Johnsson and Kapanen as the Marlies forwards that are expected to be in the mix to fill in for departed Leafs like Martin, Komarov and Moore.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The traditional checking, and sometimes fighting, fourth line is slowly dying in the NHL. The New York Islanders aside, who seem to be going with two checking style fourth lines next season. The Maple Leafs traded Matt Martin and let Leo Komarov walk in free agency (both went to the Islanders). The departure of those two players indicates the Maple Leafs are going a different direction this season. They want four lines that are quick and can score.

Just goes to show you how different the philosophies are between Lou and Dubas

The Goat isn't NHL calibre to me
Ennis, Jooris, Par - who knows
Wouldn't be surprised to see a vet on a PTO - just no trades later in the year for a temp. option again

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
so glad we have a GM that refuses to give his coach terrible grunts to play on the 4th line.

this year the 4th line should be a joy to watch, with the likes of Kappy/Leivo/Ennis/Grundstrom on it.
I’m torn. I’m glad that Dubas didn’t bring back Leo or Polak - these guys were both good NHLers in the past, but they’re both over the hill now, and were IMO liabilities last season.

On the flip side, the current roster looks very soft. We were outmuscled and pushed around in the playoffs last year, and it’s only going to get worse this year. We should be fine in the regular season, but I think it’ll be a significant issue if we don’t add more strength/physicality/toughness by the playoffs. The playoffs really are MUCH more physical.

Basically, I’d love to see us acquire a bottom 6 forward who’s solid in terms of skills/speed/smarts, AND a beast physically. Then also make room for Borgman, who IMO is about as strong/physical as Polak, but significantly better handling the puck, can execute real breakouts instead of just icing it all the time. If we can trade Gards (plus more) for a good RD, then Dermott can move up to 2LD, leaving 3LD for Borgman.

Basically, I prefer skilled players to physical scrubs, but bringing in a couple skilled physical players would be big for the team. As it stands we’re arguably the softest team in the league, and that’s a huge risk in the playoffs.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I’m torn. I’m glad that Dubas didn’t bring back Leo or Polak - these guys were both good NHLers in the past, but they’re both over the hill now, and were IMO liabilities last season.

On the flip side, the current roster looks very soft. We were outmuscled and pushed around in the playoffs last year, and it’s only going to get worse this year. We should be fine in the regular season, but I think it’ll be a significant issue if we don’t add more strength/physicality/toughness by the playoffs. The playoffs really are MUCH more physical.

Basically, I’d love to see us acquire a bottom 6 forward who’s solid in terms of skills/speed/smarts, AND a beast physically. Then also make room for Borgman, who IMO is about as strong/physical as Polak, but significantly better handling the puck, can execute real breakouts instead of just icing it all the time. If we can trade Gards (plus more) for a good RD, then Dermott can move up to 2LD, leaving 3LD for Borgman.

Basically, I prefer skilled players to physical scrubs, but bringing in a couple skilled physical players would be big for the team. As it stands we’re arguably the softest team in the league, and that’s a huge risk in the playoffs.

That's why you need a player like Winnik and Shore on the 4th line. Costs nothing but an offered PTO. And then let training camp settle things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad