What to do with Torrey Mitchell?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
In one of his latest interviews, General Taco Bus mentioned that he would like resign him. Based off the play of team since Mitchell has come back and before he was injured, I'd say it's a pretty good idea. He's great defensively. He can shutdown or at least slow down top lines which in turn, frees up Girgs to play against lesser competition. I feel like he's flown under radar right now and I'm not sure if we would get proper value at TDL for him(I'm thinking a 3rd round pick but probably should be a 2nd). Still, we know what he is worth and even if we trade him at the deadline we might be able sign him in July. so a few questions:

Do you want him to resign him? If so, what's the deal?

What do you think we could get at TDL for him? What's he actually worth?

Do we try to have our cake and eat it by trading him then trying to resign him?

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's one of those versatile veterans that can play 3rd or 4th line minutes, skate, play hard and PK that contenders LOVE to have in the stretch run.

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd or some sort of decent prospect for him, trade him and make sure his agent knows not to re-up with the team we trade him to.

If not, he could be a great 4th line piece for us once we're ready to turn the corner.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
In the short term he could...could...be that 2nd C to shelter Reinhart/McEichel. Long term he could slide down the 4th C when it's time to let McCormick walk and make a decision on Schaller. I see no downside to re-signing him in the 2-3 year range.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
down with the re-sign but that's probably emotional appeal from watching him look like he's actually making an effort this year

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I'd like to see them do a little better than Tory Mitchell. We should have Reinhart, Girgensons, 2015 1st round pick and Grigorenko slated for center duty next year. Rather than sign Mitchell, I'd like to trade Grigs for someone like Mike Richards to take the pressure of the young kids.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
McCormick the ****er

Yep. I see no reason he cant get sent off for picks at the deadline and come back with TM saying before you sign a contract let us know value and term. It's not like he will be offered ridiculous amounts of either. Let him slot in 2/3 center for now and get pushed down to 3/4 the year after next. 2017-18 is going to be a huge year for turnover, Georges, Gionta, and McCormick coming off the books. Why not add him the the list?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him move him. If we can't then re-sign him. I wouldn't want to give him much in term or salary though. On a good team he is a 4th liner at best.

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
i think it's either him or Phil Varone as the fourth line centre. but if stafford and stewart are both gone, (along with Mez) we're gonna need to spend alot of $

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
i think it's either him or Phil Varone as the fourth line centre. but if stafford and stewart are both gone, (along with Mez) we're gonna need to spend alot of $

Varone is a top 6 or bust kind of player. I think it'll come down to McCormick and Schaller for that spot, but I think Mitchell could thrive in a 3C barring FA/McEichel additions to the center core

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If a contender would offer a 2nd or 3rd for him, I'd say trade the guy, but let him know he'd be welcome back here and could probably get a bit of an overpayment compared to what other teams might offer

KennyFnPowers*

He might be worth keeping around. Of the 3 (+ Staff, Stew) I'd lean towards keeping him the most. And not because he'll fetch the least return. He'll be a solid 3rd-liner next year on this team. It depends how big of a splash Buffalo makes in free agency. If they bring in 2 high scoring winger vets.. I dunno. Maybe you don't end up needing him.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I'd like to see them do a little better than Tory Mitchell. We should have Reinhart, Girgensons, 2015 1st round pick and Grigorenko slated for center duty next year. Rather than sign Mitchell, I'd like to trade Grigs for someone like Mike Richards to take the pressure of the young kids.

:help:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
If you're super duper pro-tank, trade him. But i'd keep him. If gionta ever comes back, that shutdown line was really effective when it was healthy.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Murray flatly said he will not lose UFA's for nothing. He even informed team leaders so that they understand if and when these guys get traded. He's also flatly said he wants to re-sign Mitchell. So, it's pretty simple I guess. He'll try and extend Mitchell. If it doesn't work out, he will trade Mitchell, then perhaps pursue him in free agency.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Normally I'd be against a guy like him on the 4th line ish but since fighting has disappeared the need for bottom 6ers of his ilk is much greater and I'd welcome him back. Oddly his future seems to hinge on Cody's IMO...3c is about to get crowded and cody is locked down longer term...does he bounce back?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I like how he plays, wouldn't be upset if we kept him a couple more years as a bottom 6, depth player. Wouldn't be upset if he was traded either; hopefully Larsson and Grigorenko performed well enough to make him an expendable part of the bottom 6 and a (points producing) veteran can be brought in for 2C duties.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He's a guy that reminds me of McCormick. Trade him in a deal if a team feels he's good for their bench or lower 6 forwards and then resign him in the offseason. Varone should get more playing time. All in all, I am not one to really fret over a third line guy who should be a fourth line guy. We can find those.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Murray flatly said he will not lose UFA's for nothing. He even informed team leaders so that they understand if and when these guys get traded. He's also flatly said he wants to re-sign Mitchell. So, it's pretty simple I guess. He'll try and extend Mitchell. If it doesn't work out, he will trade Mitchell, then perhaps pursue him in free agency.

When? I don't recall this

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

he did?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
When? I don't recall this

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/01/10/murray-is-thrilled-by-reinharts-play/
“You look at a guy like Torrey Mitchell, who is injured now and is unrestricted. He’s a guy everybody just assumed we’d be trading. Until he was injured, he played very well for us. He brought speed and energy, so there are not all slam dunks that everybody is going to be traded who doesn’t have a contract.”

It might be a bargaining ploy but i also think he's telling everybody he liked to resign him as well. more than stafford and stewart it would seem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad