Speculation: What to do with the Islanders pick?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
It's hard to have a serious discussion until the lottery is over and their draft position is finalized. If they have a top two pick they keep it. It was suggested that the Isles don't have to make their decision until they are on the clock during the draft so it may come down to who's available at that moment and if their scouting department believes there is a difference maker available. If they love a player he will be drafted and if they don't feel there is a talented enough player available then they will give us the pick and officially enter the McDavid sweepstakes.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm pretty confident that if it ends up being low enough where they can defer the pick, they absolutely will.

In my opinion, there are 6 guys in this draft who COULD wind up being worthy enough for the Isles to keep their pick and give us the 2015 pick:

Reinhart, Ekblad, Dal Colle, Bennett, Draisatl and Nylander

I think if they're in a position to snag one of those guys, it's a slam-dunk they use the pick this year.

If they're not, then it'll all depend on what their scouts think....do they like someone like Perlini or someone enough to pass up a pick in what looks to be a LOADED 2015 draft.

Frankly, I hope we get the 2015 pick.

ZeroPT*

Somewhat related to this.Isles lose to devils 2-1. If the Isles defer the pick and finish with the sixth pick overall whilst the sabres finish last, they get their 25% chance plus the Isles 6.2% giving them 31.2% chance at #1 AND the sixth pick, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say everyone wants them to defer.2015 is also a much deeper draft.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
If the 2014 pick is top 6, I would prefer they give us that one. There is a longshot that we win the lottery with it giving us picks 1 and 2 (hypothetically)...which means 2 out of the 3 of Reinhart, Ekblad or Draisaitl. Or if its pick 5 or 6, we could probably use two 2nds to move up and take Draisaitl at 3....or stand pat and land Dal Colle, McCann or Nylander. What if the Islanders make the playoffs next year or finish outside of the bottom 10. Yes the draft is projected to be better...mostly because of the McDavid sweepstakes and if they defer, I am alright with it and will hope for the best or worst from the Islanders next year.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's hard to have a serious discussion until the lottery is over and their draft position is finalized. If they have a top two pick they keep it. It was suggested that the Isles don't have to make their decision until they are on the clock during the draft so it may come down to who's available at that moment and if their scouting department believes there is a difference maker available. If they love a player he will be drafted and if they don't feel there is a talented enough player available then they will give us the pick and officially enter the McDavid sweepstakes.

The Islanders decision will also be influenced by what they get for Vanek.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I think if the Islanders pick is #3 or higher they give it up. However if the pick is #1 or #2 they have to keep it. I can't see them passing on talents like Reinhart or Ekbland. However, what would the Sabres do with the #1-2 picks? Could they draft Reinhart and then try to move the #2 pick, or is Ekbland just too good. How much defensive depth can we accumulate?

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I think if the Islanders pick is #3 or higher they give it up. However if the pick is #1 or #2 they have to keep it. I can't see them passing on talents like Reinhart or Ekbland. However, what would the Sabres do with the #1-2 picks? Could they draft Reinhart and then try to move the #2 pick, or is Ekbland just too good. How much defensive depth can we accumulate?

If by some chance they end up with 1 and 2 (and there's about a .0001% chance of that happening) you have to go Reinhart and Ekblad.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Before last Draft with Ristolainen at 8th, the Sabres have only had 2 other picks in the top 10 in the last 25 years.

7th pick in 1996 with Erik Rasmussen
5th pick in 2003 with Thomas Vanek

If all goes perfectly, the Sabres could potentially have 4(or more depending on Miller/Ott/Moulson trades) top 10 picks in 3 years!

Finally!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad