Speculation: What to do with the Islanders pick?

ZeroPT*

This is the thread where all hypotheticals/dreams/realistic and unrealistic discussions are held. Discuss all the possibilities! Trades,Picks (14 or 15).
Here's a list of some of the best prospects over the next two drafts:
2014-Reinhart,Ekblad,Dal Colle,Draisaitl,Bennett,Nylander,Ritchie,Virtanen,Mckeown.
2015-McDavid,Eichel,Saarela,Kylignton,Barzal,Strome,Pilon,Konecny,Hanifin,Carrier.
Discuss.

P.S If a mod feels the need to move this thread elsewhere feel free to do so. I just thought that the other Isles thread is more focused on the Islanders results and that we needed a thread for the Sabres use of the pick :).

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
If they give us the 2014, draft a good player. If they give us the 2015, hopefully draft McDavid with their/our pick and Eichel with their/our other pick. ;)

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I think if it's top 10 they use it this year. After that they let us have it. So far so good. Much rather have their pick next year and there's nothing now to say they are going to be any better next year than they are this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If they give us the 2014, draft a good player. If they give us the 2015, hopefully draft McDavid with their/our pick and Eichel with their/our other pick. ;)

Dream scenario. Our rebuild would be in damn good shape if we can add Reinhart this year and those 2 next year... I mean, that's half a top 6 added to a prospect pool deep in forwards who look like 2nd-3rd line talents and d-men.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Dream scenario. Our rebuild would be in damn good shape if we can add Reinhart this year and those 2 next year... I mean, that's half a top 6 added to a prospect pool deep in forwards who look like 2nd-3rd line talents and d-men.

Heck Draisaitl + Barzal would be great for a rebuild, what you listed would be unbelievable...

ZeroPT*

Being a wee bit more realistic. If the Isles finish with the 2nd pick this year adn choose to defer. And finish with the 6th pick next year and we get pick number 1, who would you take? Saarela,Strome and Gropp are the good forwards post Barzal/McDavid and Eichel. In many ways this draft is somewhat similar to 2013 theres the big three, some D and the next wave of forwards. Personnally Kylignton and Saarela really intrigue me. Kylignton is an offensive D-man who plays for Farjestad and does so very well on a consistent basis against men. As for Saarela, he's a small but shifty finish forward a la Granlund (more dynamic on his skates from what I've read)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The dream scenario is exactly that - unrealistic. :) The odds of that happening are very slim. 1 in 100? Something like that.

Personally I'm not even completely certain that the Sabres will get a top 3 pick this year. With the way we've been playing the last few weeks, it's not that unlikely that we end up higher than Oilers/Islanders, who are just a few points ahead of us in the standings.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If the Islanders draft 8 - 10 range, they give us the 14 pick. If they draft in the below 8, they defer.
It really depends on who is on the board when they must make their decision. Just my 2 pennies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If the Islanders draft 8 - 10 range, they give us the 14 pick. If they draft in the below 8, they defer.
It really depends on who is on the board when they must make their decision. Just my 2 pennies.

I roughly agree....if its in that 7-10 range, they protect the 2015 pick.

it also depends if their GM still has a job....a new GM may not want to risk the chance of it bein McDavid and give Buffalo the pick.

If Buffalo has it this year then they use it + other picks to move up and get another top 5 pick.

There is about no chance they trade their pick or the Isles pick in the next 2 years of draft.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
As much as I'd love for the dream scenario of the Isles deferring, both teams finishing at the bottom of the league next year, and one of us winning the lottery it's obviously highly unlikely. We're both bad now, but who knows what could happen next year just look at the improvement we've seen in the Sabres since Nolan was hired.

I'm a little curious to see what the Isles do at the deadline and what impact that might have on their decision regarding the pick. Do they try and trade Vanek at the deadline if they continue to suck and it's clear he won't resign with them? They could easily get a first back for him. I know whatever first they'd get in return for him would be a much later first than there's will be, but I don't think you can rule out Garth Snow making questionable decisions. If they can get a first in return for Vanek do they decide that even if their pick is top 5 this year, they don't want to give up a possible shot at McDavid next year, and choose not to defer? Or do they take the guaranteed top 5 pick this year, and hope they improve next year? I think even if they don't get a first in return in possible trades involving Vanek or any other guys, that the McDavid factor will weigh heavily on their decision.

I'm still not sure which scenario I think is best for the Sabres. Obviously the Isles deferring potentially gives us two shots at winning the lottery and either getting McDavid, or being able to get Eichel if neither of us win the lottery but one team finishes last. On the other hand though as bad as both teams are right now there is no guarantee that both or at least one team are going to be this bad again next year.

With that being said I can also see how them not deferring and us having two top 5 even top 3 picks this year would be very beneficial to us. Part of me likes that scenario a tad better just because of the guaranteed top picks.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
IMO the Islanders have to defer is the finish in bottom 5. It would be sending a terrible message to their fans. They're not going to get better when they have to trade Vanek at the deadline so I fully expect a bottom 5 finish. Hopefully we both suck next year and we win the lottery!

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
IMO the Islanders have to defer is the finish in bottom 5. It would be sending a terrible message to their fans. They're not going to get better when they have to trade Vanek at the deadline so I fully expect a bottom 5 finish. Hopefully we both suck next year and we win the lottery!

I think it would be nice if we started to get good again next year, but the Islanders still sucked. If we get one of those top 5 players from 2015 for UFA Vanek, it will go down as being worse than the Kessel trade. Getting one of them while being a good team next year would he a Christmas miracle. Our suffering would only be one season, and the rebuild would still be a success. I'm all for shortening the suffering.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I think it would be nice if we started to get good again next year, but the Islanders still sucked. If we get one of those top 5 players from 2015 for UFA Vanek, it will go down as being worse than the Kessel trade. Getting one of them while being a good team next year would he a Christmas miracle. Our suffering would only be one season, and the rebuild would still be a success. I'm all for shortening the suffering.

I want 1 more year of bottom 5. Then we probably have to wait 2-3 years to see what we really have. During that time we should go all out to get a top offensive free agent (like Chicago did with Hossa). I don't see us being a playoff team for 3-4 years if things go well.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I want 1 more year of bottom 5. Then we probably have to wait 2-3 years to see what we really have. During that time we should go all out to get a top offensive free agent (like Chicago did with Hossa). I don't see us being a playoff team for 3-4 years if things go well.

How can you not see us making the playoffs until 3-4 years after this season at the earliest if things go well? With the amount of assets we have a good GM should be able to get us in playoff contention as early 15' or 16'.

If we are sitting here 4 years from now without a sniff of the playoffs then things have gone badly, and that GM has done little to improve our roster.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

How can you not see us making the playoffs until 3-4 years after this season at the earliest if things go well? With the amount of assets we have a good GM should be able to get us in playoff contention as early 15' or 16'.

If we are sitting here 4 years from now without a sniff of the playoffs then things have gone badly, and that GM has done little to improve our roster.

I dont see them taking 3-4 years to rebuild.

I see this team making moves in summer 2014 and 2015 in adding missing pieces.

The team has a strong young group of players comign up their system.

If they make moves to actually improve the club next year then they are likely in that 8-16 slot. If they do nothing except to take on cap dumps and sign fillers then they are top 10 in 2015.

Their missing pieces are a #1 center and scoring on the wing. A scoring winger they could get in a trade with another team. An example being Eberle or some other younger winger.

The #1 Center will be harder to get. Maybe they can get one in the draft or Hodgson or Grigorenko turn into one.

In the next couple of years there are players out there who could be gotten as free agents or in trades.

Buffalo wants to stay close to the cap floor because this will give them room to be able to trade for one of these nice pieces that some team wil need to trade because of cap issues.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
If the Isles can defer their top 10 pick this year, they will. Talk about crushing your fan base that rarely sells out as is, if you don't. And they're moving into a new arena. We're not using that pick until '15.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If the Isles can defer their top 10 pick this year, they will. Talk about crushing your fan base that rarely sells out as is, if you don't. And they're moving into a new arena. We're not using that pick until '15.

I would not be so certain they'd defer a #5-10 pick, but I disagree with the few who think there's a chance the Islanders wouldn't defer a top 5 pick. I'm not sure they're going to be overly concerned with their fanbase. The move will re-energize the fans no matter what else is going on.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY

After seeing how we did with all the young players at the beginning of this season, I think it takes time to develop the young players. The picks we have this year and next year won't be real good NHL players for a couple of years. Even if we get Reinhart and McDavid or Eichel, they won't be ready to be 1st liners for a couple of years. With that being the case we have Hodgson and whoever else we can get being 1st liners. That's not a recipe for the playoffs. I predict we won't make the playoffs until 2016/17 season.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I'm pretty confident that if it ends up being low enough where they can defer the pick, they absolutely will. If the Isles keep playing like this, it would seem there's a pretty good chance that Snow gets fired. If he somehow does keep his job, surely to God he would be let go if the Islanders are anywhere near the bottom of the standings next season. Surely he's more concerned about keeping his job than the chance they might give up the top pick, which probably wouldn't be his to pick to make.

In the event Snow gets fired before this years draft, I would guess that the new GM would defer the pick as well - although I think a better argument could be made a different guy may opt for the 2015 pick, since they'd have more job security in their first season as the GM.

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
Whatever you guys do try not to take the edmonton route

The sabres are not. They are not striking out on their 2nd picks(Girgensons/Zadorov) and 2nd rounders(McCabe/Compher). Plus they are drafting for every position on the team, not just 1st liners.

It seems the Sabres have the core of their team already drafted. Now they just need a few game changers(Reinhart/McDavid).

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
I think the Islanders make the pick this year. Look at the Devils situation with the Kovalchuk penalty - they kept picking until they ran out of deferrals. Snow must be feeling the pressure at his post to deliver a competitive product. Deferring a year delays progress and heaps more pressure on his head. Snow also has to believe that they will be better next year, improve and move forward. If not he is essentially admitting he is failing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad