Speculation: What to do with Leino?

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
After an abysmal season last year, and now looking like he needs surgery to fix his old man hip, do we wait until he is healthy and buy him out, or do we give him another shot next season?

I've pretty much already moved on from him.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
As much as it pains me to say this, a healthy Leino (the guy the thought they were getting when they signed him, not the guy from last year) is what's keeping us from rolling three scoring lines.

Lindy and Co. banked on Leino/Grigs/Ott being an effective line that could play 15 minutes a night, but instead, we're stuck plugging Hecht/Gerbe in on that line.

After this year, I say he gets bought out, but who knows with the way our management is right now (and who knows if he's un-buyout-able because of the injury).

Definitely shows the need for scoring depth on this team, though.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
After an abysmal season last year, and now looking like he needs surgery to fix his old man hip, do we wait until he is healthy and buy him out, or do we give him another shot next season?

I've pretty much already moved on from him.

Buy him out if we can

I don't think the CBA allows buyouts of injured players or ones with chronic health issues.

Regardless, I've hated the signing from Day 1 - and the underachieving / overpaid aspects of last year only invoked visions of a Connolly sequel. With Leino's injury problem now, the comparison is beginning to get even stronger IMO.

Yet, with the way that Pegula praised the signing at the time, I doubt he'll agree to buying Leino out.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Buy him out when healthy. Can't afford to wait and hope for him to be healthy when buying him out opens up a not insignificant amount if cap space.

Not to mention Im sure Leino would be pretty mollified collecting all that money for not playing and could find a job elsewhere.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Addition by subtraction only works if a player is a bad locker-room influence or has proven that he dragged the team down for years imho, neither is the case with Leino. As absymal as Leinos start to his Sabres-career has been, are we really better off without Leino as we are with him? The current situation certainly doesn't support that assumption, especially our bottom-six (where Leino would probably play) is just bad, we play with 3-5 guys who can do nothing but grind a night (McCormick, Kaleta, Hecht, Scott, Ellis, depending on who is in the line-up), or whole bottom-six barely has any skill and the few Skill-players we use down there are either too small (Gerbe) or too young (Grigorenko) to be effective in that role. And especially Grigorenko is forced to play in the NHL because we just have no better options in our bottom-six with at least some offensive talent, even though he certainly doesn't look like he is ready yet.
Don't get me wrong I have been very disappointed with Leinos first season and him probably missing the whole year now certainly doesn't help. But the team won't get better just because we get rid of a player who isn't playing anyway at the moment. It's not like we would use the additional cap-space for a big UFA-signing anyway, I doubt that any high-profile Free Agents would come to Buffalo at the moment...

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
After this year his salary will be lower than his cap hit. This is the last year of Tim Thomas's contract, so the Isles will need will need fresh bodies to help them circumvent the cap floor.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
After this year his salary will be lower than his cap hit. This is the last year of Tim Thomas's contract, so the Isles will need will need fresh bodies to help them circumvent the cap floor.

Since TT didn't report, they can suspend him, and toll the contract indefinitely. Free cap floor relief!!

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
haha, I knew that there was something funny about that transaction, but didn't realize that the Isles are trolling the CBA that hard.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
haha, I knew that there was something funny about that transaction, but didn't realize that the Isles are trolling the CBA that hard.

LOL. They could probably get away with only doing that once. I'd bet the league would step in if they tried to do it ad infinitum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad