Speculation: What to do with Gabby?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
A 2nd round pick would be great at this point.

Sam, if he's actually healthy at the trade deadline he's worth more than a 2nd. They aren't paying for another year, it's for a handful of game then the playoffs.

You'd probably still get more than a 2nd if you trade is rights after the season. Value would depend, obviously, on how he finished.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Personally I think he could be worth alot to this team on the ice down the stretch. Unless I can get a valuable asset in return (1st round pick), I keep him....assuming we are playoff team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
ok, so picks and unknown prospects are better trades than having the flexibility to sign someone that will help now when we're no longer in a "building" mode??? now THAT is nonsensical...and I know that once the trade went down I said publicly that even if he doesn't work out, the cap flexibility was worth that deal alone.

The bolded above is nonsensical. An expired RFA contract, like Brassard and Moore's, has just as much flexibility as an expiring UFA contract, like Gaborik's. In some sense more flexibility. You don't have to re-sign an RFA.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Personally I think he could be worth alot to this team on the ice down the stretch. Unless I can get a valuable asset in return (1st round pick), I keep him....assuming we are playoff team.

That's about where I'm at, too. A team of Gaboriks wouldn't work and a team with four or five players of his style might not be much good, either. That's not the Jackets, though, they have nobody else remotely like him and I still believe he can by of value to them. Not $7.5mil of value, pehaps, but more than negligible value. If a good offer for a trade comes along, it should definitely be considered, but I'm not for just tossing him away. No one on this roster but Gabby has the experience of scoring when the pressure is on down the playoff stretch and all attention is focused on every play. Maybe our young guys can learn from that, rather than from whatever negative traits he may be perceived to have.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
That's about where I'm at, too. A team of Gaboriks wouldn't work and a team with four or five players of his style might not be much good, either. That's not the Jackets, though, they have nobody else remotely like him and I still believe he can by of value to them. Not $7.5mil of value, pehaps, but more than negligible value. If a good offer for a trade comes along, it should definitely be considered, but I'm not for just tossing him away. No one on this roster but Gabby has the experience of scoring when the pressure is on down the playoff stretch and all attention is focused on every play. Maybe our young guys can learn from that, rather than from whatever negative traits he may be perceived to have.

This is where I'm at, too. I don't completely go for he "doesn't fit the mold of the team", because I'd like our team to be multidimensional.

There's no telling what his preferences are (does he like it here, would like to throw his hat in?), and there's no telling what will be offered. So there are too many unknowns to be able to answer the OP question. I'd take a wait-and-see approach, while leaning towards seeing what it would take to sign him. As has been said, while it would be nice to have the cap space that his contract would provide, you want that cap space to sign a quality FA like Gabby is likely to be.

One potential silver lining to the collar bone, the missed time should provide recuperation time for his groin and even shoulder, if any more were needed.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is where I'm at, too. I don't completely go for he "doesn't fit the mold of the team", because I'd like our team to be multidimensional.

There's no telling what his preferences are (does he like it here, would like to throw his hat in?), and there's no telling what will be offered. So there are too many unknowns to be able to answer the OP question. I'd take a wait-and-see approach, while leaning towards seeing what it would take to sign him. As has been said, while it would be nice to have the cap space that his contract would provide, you want that cap space to sign a quality FA like Gabby is likely to be.

One potential silver lining to the collar bone, the missed time should provide recuperation time for his groin and even shoulder, if any more were needed.
Also it might be nice to have Gaborik come back once the team and Horton hopefully have found their groove. Would definitely be a nice boost late in the season if we're in contention. If you think Gaborik was anxious to get back out on the ice from his last injury you better believe he's gonna be chomping on the opportunity to get out on the ice and make something happen.

Whether that's good or bad is yet to be determined. He more than anyone knows he needs to go out there and make some magic happen if he wants to get paid.

USNBluejack

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
I want to see this team become what I feel it has been trying to become, but in spades. A hard forechecking team that makes murder in the crease. Gabby isn't in that mold.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Short term: You bring him back in the mix and utilize his goal scoring talents in your playoff run this year.

Long term: Unless he's willing to take a pay cut, you wish him well in FA.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Regardless of his market value you can't lose Gaborik for nothing (which I think jarmo knows). You may not get the value we paid back, however this is a trade made on past performance and any trade would be to a team that would be looking at Gaborto for his ability to break a game. Scorers come at a premium so I would not be shocked if Gaborik went for a blue chip prospect and a pick. I also think that The ability to eat cap and salary could bring an even larger return.

I could see us retaining salary and sending gaborik to Pitt for Despres/Pouliot/Harrington and a 1st.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
trade gaby to xxx for 1st and decent prospect...turn 1st, erixon, ??? into Vanek... PROFIT! (i can dream)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Gabby-Duby-Atkinson
RJ-RyJo-Foligno
Calvert-Anisimov-Horton
Jenner-Letetsu-MacKenzie

3 scoring lines and a top notch 4th line.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Gabby-Duby-Atkinson
RJ-RyJo-Foligno
Calvert-Anisimov-Horton
Jenner-Letetsu-MacKenzie

3 scoring lines and a top notch 4th line.

I believe someone recently said that Gaborik doesn't play as well on the left and that Horton cares less about it, so maybe:

Foligno-Johansen-Gaborik
Horton-Anisimov-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Umberger
Jenner-Letestu-MacKenzie

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I believe someone recently said that Gaborik doesn't play as well on the left and that Horton cares less about it, so maybe:

Foligno-Johansen-Gaborik
Horton-Anisimov-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Umberger
Jenner-Letestu-MacKenzie

That third line would scare me a little, I could see all of them having troubles scoring at the same time. None are real "goal scorers". I would want at least one of Aktinson/Horton/Gabby playing on Dubinsky's wing.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
That third line would scare me a little, I could see all of them having troubles scoring at the same time. None are real "goal scorers". I would want at least one of Aktinson/Horton/Gabby playing on Dubinsky's wing.

OK, how about:

Foligno-Johansen-Gaborik
Umberger-Anisimov-Horton
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Jenner-Letestu-MacKenzie

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
I would trade Gaborik because I fear bringing him in to the side would disrupt the chemistry and possibly dilute the style of play that is starting to yield results.

Regardless of his market value you can't lose Gaborik for nothing (which I think jarmo knows). You may not get the value we paid back, however this is a trade made on past performance and any trade would be to a team that would be looking at Gaborto for his ability to break a game. Scorers come at a premium so I would not be shocked if Gaborik went for a blue chip prospect and a pick. I also think that The ability to eat cap and salary could bring an even larger return.

I could see us retaining salary and sending gaborik to Pitt for Despres/Pouliot/Harrington and a 1st.

Despres was a guy mentioned in the trade board that I liked. Adding him gives us an insanely strong youthful blueline blue line and insurance in case Prout/Erixon/Savard/Goloubef regress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad