What To Do With Darnell Nurse

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nurse's play will decide what to do with Nurse..

He can be anywhere from a 2nd pairing Dman in the AHL to a top pairing Dman in NHL.

Lets just wait and see how he shows up to the camp and how his preseason goes. If his game is settled down he could be giving Klefbom a run for his money on that top pairing with Larsson.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nurse's play will decide what to do with Nurse.. u

He can be anywhere from a 2nd pairing Dman in the AHL to a top pairing Dman in NHL.

Lets just wait and see how he shows up to the camp and how his preseason goes. If his game is settled down he could be giving Klefbom a run for his money on that top pairing with Larsson.

I think this is the key. Let his play decide where he's going to be. Right now the #6 though about 8 spots are a toss up between Nurse, Oesterle, and Reinhart. Oesterle's a safe bet for the #7 due to waivers, but either Nurse or Reinhart could snag that last spot, assuming no new bodies are added.

Though I'd still like to start off by pencilling him in Bakersfield to begin with. This is the Oilers we're talking about, injuries happen and both Klefbom and Davidson have shown enough to be concerned on that front. Nurse'll get his shot soon enough(Same with Reinhart).

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
Let his play dictate where he plays. What a shocking concept, eh? He's gonna be a stud in a couple of years and a cornerstone of the Oilers going forward. You can't teach what he has, but you can teach what he doesn't have.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think this is the key. Let his play decide where he's going to be. Right now the #6 though about 8 spots are a toss up between Nurse, Oesterle, and Reinhart. Oesterle's a safe bet for the #7 due to waivers, but either Nurse or Reinhart could snag that last spot, assuming no new bodies are added.

Though I'd still like to start off by pencilling him in Bakersfield to begin with. This is the Oilers we're talking about, injuries happen and both Klefbom and Davidson have shown enough to be concerned on that front. Nurse'll get his shot soon enough(Same with Reinhart).
Doubt anyone is going to claim Oesterle and keep him on their NHL roster for the whole year.

Every team has 1 or 2 Oesterles they sneak down to AHL late September.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Doubt anyone is going to claim Oesterle and keep him on their NHL roster for the whole year.

Have to agree. I don't even know that anyone really knows who he is, so outside of him going on a massive offensive streak in training camp I doubt he gets picked up.

For me i really don't care who makes the opening day 23man roster.

I like what they did last year. Pretty much took the best roster they could and went with it. I know after last year that even if a guy makes the team based on waivers, that he's on a short leash.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Nurse looked good when he was paired with Sekera for his first few games. I think with a healthy team and a consistent partner he'd be just fine.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Could have said the same about Davidson last year. Plus McLellan seemed to like him, so I think that'll give him the inside track.

If things stay the way they are(RE: no adds), I'd expect to see two battles in TC on defence: Nurse and Reinhart for the #6 spot and Musil and Oesterle for the #7.

Just to clarify, I'm not a big Oesterle fan.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
my lord I didn't know Nurse played the 2nd most D minutes of anyone on the team. lol what a season we just had.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Could have said the same about Davidson last year. Plus McLellan seemed to like him, so I think that'll give him the inside track.

If things stay the way they are(RE: no adds), I'd expect to see two battles in TC on defence: Nurse and Reinhart for the #6 spot and Musil and Oesterle for the #7.

Just to clarify, I'm not a big Oesterle fan.

And Davidson most probably would have cleared the waivers at the beginning of last season.
I like Oesterle but no NHL GM is going to pick up a 24yr old Dman with only 23NHL games under his belt.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And Davidson most probably would have cleared the waivers at the beginning of last season.
I like Oesterle but no NHL GM is going to pick up a 24yr old Dman with only 23NHL games under his belt.

What did Chorney have?

I doubt he gets picked up, but there is always that long shot team that could give the kid a tryout.

But really if we lost Oesterle is it really that big? It would suck, but you should be able to replace him for relatively cheap.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What did Chorney have?

I doubt he gets picked up, but there is always that long shot team that could give the kid a tryout.

But really if we lost Oesterle is it really that big? It would suck, but you should be able to replace him for relatively cheap.

Chorney had 56 NHL games under his belt.. 42 of them being in one season..
Pretty sure STL was hit with multiple injuries and ad a depleted D when they picked off Chorney... Pretty sure he didnt last too long with them either and was waived once STL D got healthy.

Point is that no one is going to pick an unproven prospect\body\contract and leave it on their 23 man NHL roster.. We arent talking about a former 1st rounder nor a player with a unique skillset.. Oesterle is your average depth Dman with nothing that really stands out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What did Chorney have?

for sure losing Oesterle is not a big deal, especially if he can't earn the #7 spot by merit. I doubt other GMs even know who he is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Patience. Just let the kid grow, I'm not worried about Darnell at all. He's going to be an absolute beast and major part of our future.

I would like to see him in the AHL this year playing on the top pair and getting 25-30 mins/game. Darnell will anchor our 2nd pair eventually and be a player every team hates to play.

He's already in the Sharks head. DARNELLL is coming!!! Polak won't be the last.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
To me, this is as simple as watching Nurse in training camp to see what he brings. That alone should determine whether he's in Edmonton or Bakersfield.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Play him in that #6 spot where he belongs and let him develop from there... time and more games is all he needs to improve and climb up the depth chart.

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
What to do with Darnell Nurse? You mean the rookie d-man who had the weight of the world in his shoulders on the worst defense core in the NHL? rofl, what a joke :laugh:

Darnell, Connor, Leon and Oscar make up the true core of this team going forward. Nurse held his own last season, he was a beast and was the most exciting player for me to watch aside from McD

This whole debate about Nurse is silly. He's going to be such a stud, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone aside from the 13 or so premium d-men in the entire league

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
#6D or AHL

I'd prefer we trade him in a package for Trouba or another RHD

rofl
1. Trouba is exponentially overrated by Oiler fans, Jets fans know his true colors
2. Nurse is exponentially underrated by Oiler fans, hence why other GM's are trying to steal him, but Peter loves Nurse too much to trade him
3. Fast forward 3 years, this deal would look like Joe Thornton trade 2.0

Nurse is a rare breed, with a unique set of skills/character. I wouldn't trade him for anyone that's not one of those 13+ premium d-men in the NHL

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure what the waiver talk is about with Oesterle. He still has another year of exemption. He could only sign a 2 year ELC out of college, but you get 3 years waiver exemption if you sign your first NHL contract at 23 or younger.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If he's starting in the NHL he's getting 3rd pairing 5 on 5 and if he's careful he can be worked onto the 2nd PK unit, but I'd much rather see him start the year in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad