What to do with a kid whose heart just isn't in to hockey...

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I haven't read every post on here, but had to chime in about something I feel is important. You mention multiple times "You don't have to go if you don't want to".
To me that is nuts. That is the talk you have BEFORE you sign up. Once you're on a team you don't miss a practice/game just because. This is where the parent gets into the commitment talk - you made a commitment to be a part of this team, and now you have to follow through. If next season you don't want to, then no pressure. To me that is even worse if you are an assistant coach too and both of you aren't showing up.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I haven't read every post on here, but had to chime in about something I feel is important. You mention multiple times "You don't have to go if you don't want to".
To me that is nuts. That is the talk you have BEFORE you sign up. Once you're on a team you don't miss a practice/game just because. This is where the parent gets into the commitment talk - you made a commitment to be a part of this team, and now you have to follow through. If next season you don't want to, then no pressure. To me that is even worse if you are an assistant coach too and both of you aren't showing up.

He's 9 years old, playing house league. If he's not having fun, there's no sense being there, let him find something he enjoys.

There's no reason dad can't continue coaching.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Okay, so as a general rule I agree. You can't pick and choose which games or practices you go to. If it was just a matter of "I don't feel like going today" I would give that speech.

But Joe Jr never seems to enjoy it, always grumbles and stomps his feet when told to go to hockey. And even though at U9 they don't keep score, he doesn't actually meaningfully contribute to his team when he's on the ice. They'd be just as well off just being shorthanded.

I'd happily still go to coach the kids even without Joe Jr being there. Our team on paper has tons of coaches though.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I asked my youngest son for his opinion on the situation you describe. He’s 20 now, a former junior player and a skills trainer but he also coached a U10 local league team alongside me when he was 16, which was a blast). Sometimes, it’s useful to get a more youthful perspective on situations like yours.

So, he read your story in this thread and said, “Jeezus, that’s Evan. Remember Evan, dad? Joe Jr. is exactly the same.”

“Evan,” of course, was a 9 year-old boy we coached. And yes, my son is right — Joe Jr. is just like “Evan.”

Here’s my son’s take. Sorry if it’s a bit harsh — he’s a straight shooter.

@BadgerBruce thank you very much for the thoughtful reply.

I agree the main point is to try and get him to enjoy hockey. Not to be a great player, but just to look forward to coming out.

I've certainly engaged with him about why he thinks he needs to play hockey. He's never given a reason beyond just saying he has to go. Beyond one kid who he was on the same team with 3 years ago he didn't know anyone else on the team, and he doesn't really interact much with anyone. As I said I think he just internalized that me and his mom like hockey, and his brothers play hockey, so he feels like he has to too. Or at least that's the best I can figure.

Parking him in front of the goal to try to score: you know what it did work once - when he was 6, playing U7, and I was head coach. He scored right away, had a big smile on his face and said "You know what Dad, that plan you had worked!". Two years later, he's 8, a different coach set it up, and it didn't work. Not only didn't he score, but he was crying afterwards because he didn't score. And I feel like it went against what I have been telling him - that hockey isn't just about scoring goals, that neither of his brothers have scored any goals this year (true), but how you play as a team. But Coach Kevin, who got him to stand in front of the net (and get his own talented kid to try and feed Joe Jr some goals) had his heart in the right place. And he's the one coach (out of 6 or 7) who has really noticed Joe Jr's struggles and tried to help him.

A story from this weekend. We went back out to practice. Joe Jr was as unenthused as usual. I noticed that some kids actively didn't want to be paired with him during a 1 on 1 drill. In the dressing room afterwards this one kid said "Hey good practice Joe Jr". My kid said nothing (to which I spoke with him afterwards). The other kid then said "You're a really good hockey player. I bet you could make it to the NHL some day". I mean - good on the kid for trying to buck up Joe Jr's spirits, but the kid said it without enthusiasm, and even I cringed.

I'd be happy to not be a coach. Well not entirely - I do like being out there with the kids. But it's not about me. But we're at a level where it's entirely parent-coached. I don't really love our head coach. He's not there at least a third of the time. But nobody had stepped forward at the start of the year so he reluctantly said he would, and it's hard to fault him for doing so. Why I don't love him though is that at U9 I don't think they're too old to still be doing fun games out there: freeze tag, asteroids, british bulldog, whatever. But we never do them. Instead as we've gotten closer to the end of the year there's been more and more scrimmages in our practices, which is not helpful for my kid.

At this point there's two weeks left. 1 practice and three games, plus a year end party. We'll just finish it off, if for no other reason than it would be awkward to miss the last 2 weeks but still show up at the party. And I'll be damned if I sign him up for hockey again next year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hey Joe. My wife and I raised a family of four sons and three daughters, and now have five grandchildren.

Been there, done that.

There are no simplistic, definitive answers to this or any other aspects of parenting, and I can assure you that the challenges will never end.

The best and only advice I can offer is that which was given to me: there's no such things "quality"time. Just spend as much time as you can with your kids to be there for them, to share in their hopes, works, joys and sufferings, and to let them know you care. Wherever you go, just make sure you go there together.

Beyond that, just go for a walk or do something -- anything -- together.

The whole hockey thing is nothing but dust in the wind.

Your kid needs to know you're on his side.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
he doesn't actually meaningfully contribute to his team when he's on the ice. They'd be just as well off just being shorthanded.

I don’t know if this will make you feel any better, but when I coached way back in my 20s, there was this one little girl that drove me nuts.

She would literally go into the corner and stand there on purpose - no matter where the puck was.

She even started shooting the puck on our net - no joke. It was so bizarre.

She got all into leading this team cheer she made up and that was the extent of her contribution to the team.

I kept asking the mother and the girl why she was there if she didn’t enjoy hockey.

She wanted to play robble robble!

I did all I could to get her to attempt the whole hockey thing - basically got her to stand on defense and wave her stick at ppl - when she was in the mood.

It all came to a head one game when her mother I guess had enough and screamed from the stands she was going to beat her ass if she didn’t start moving.

She then went in the corner and danced…

That was the last time I saw her - thankfully.

So I’m guessing your son at least actually tries to do something so… could be worse.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So I’m guessing your son at least actually tries to do something so… could be worse.

LOL. I suspect publicly threatening to beat your child would not go over well in this day and age.

I do remember one kid that Joe Jr has been with on a team before - he'd frequently just lie down on the ice, or sit down in the bench and refuse to go out. Not quite sure why they kept putting him back in hockey. His dad was even Joe Jr's head coach last year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
LOL. I suspect publicly threatening to beat your child would not go over well in this day and age.

I do remember one kid that Joe Jr has been with on a team before - he'd frequently just lie down on the ice, or sit down in the bench and refuse to go out. Not quite sure why they kept putting him back in hockey. His dad was even Joe Jr's head coach last year.

It was definitely an awkward situation all around - not going to lie, I was only human and really started to dislike that kid.

Did someone remove the kid from the ice or… sounds dangerous if he would just lie there.

At least the bratty girl on my team would hang in the corner out of the way.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It was definitely an awkward situation all around - not going to lie, I was only human and really started to dislike that kid.

Did someone remove the kid from the ice or… sounds dangerous if he would just lie there.

At least the bratty girl on my team would hang in the corner out of the way.

The kid I mentioned - I kind of didn't like him either. Which reflects badly on me - he was just a kid, probably 5 and 7 years old the two times I helped coach him.

And I would get him off the ice right away if he was lying down. Damn right that's dangerous.

Actually this makes me think of a little girl from two years ago on a U7 team I head coached that Joe Jr also played on. Sweet kid. She had an older brother maybe 3-4 years older who played on the highest level teams for his age, apparently really really good. Parents were super nice, really supportive of me as a coach - and all in on hockey. But this little girl... I really don't think her heart was in hockey. She didn't quit or shut down, but she never really gave it her all either. We did have one other girl on the team that she kind of made friends with which helped (the other girl was good, and she was mean... it was hilarious).

Hockey's just not for everyone, no matter how much you as a parent might want it to be.

Reactions: Cams and Ciao

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The kid I mentioned - I kind of didn't like him either. Which reflects badly on me - he was just a kid, probably 5 and 7 years old the two times I helped coach him.
And I would get him off the ice right away if he was lying down. Damn right that's dangerous.
Actually this makes me think of a little girl from two years ago on a U7 team I head coached that Joe Jr also played on. Sweet kid. She had an older brother maybe 3-4 years older who played on the highest level teams for his age, apparently really really good. Parents were super nice, really supportive of me as a coach - and all in on hockey. But this little girl... I really don't think her heart was in hockey. She didn't quit or shut down, but she never really gave it her all either. We did have one other girl on the team that she kind of made friends with which helped (the other girl was good, and she was mean... it was hilarious).
Hockey's just not for everyone, no matter how much you as a parent might want it to be.

That girl I spoke of was extremely bratty - always talking back when you tried to help, and shooting on our net was the back breaker for me.

I was 23 or 24 back then and loved helping kids learn the game, but I just couldn’t stand her. Maybe today with the patience of now being a father I’d feel differently, but she was determined to get negative attention for whatever reasons.

We had some interesting characters that first year I coached for sure… one kid would skate around telling us “my britches are falling down!” all season - he was an odd duck and never got much better, but he tried.

We had another little man who had the athletic ability of a potato and my buddy, who coached with me, hated him.

He tried so hard but he was so athletically challenged, that he would always mess up. I still loved the kid, and as long as you attempted to learn and get better I’d do anything to help that kid.

Those kids never stuck with it beyond the first couple years though, but like you said the game isn’t for everyone, like many sports.

I played one year of Little League and was so bored that I’d stand in the outfield asking myself why I was there - baseball just wasn’t my thing and I despised every second of it, but had to gut out the season because I didn’t want to quit.

I think the overall point is your son wouldn’t be the first kid to not want to stick with the sport and I’m sure he will find his thing eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cams

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

Over the years, I've come to realize that no everyone likes to compete or has that "compete" within them. It's just not in their DNA. As someone who is competitive, and likes to compete, win or lose, it can be difficult to process, especially in hockey.

I've found that some just like to be there and feel like they're participating. But when challenged, depending on what that challenge is, they wilt or become apathetic.

Not saying everyone needs to be competitive, because I'm sure everyone has seen what over the top toxic competitiveness can be like. I'm just saying not everyone likes a competitive environment, which is fine.

Reactions: Cams

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
How the handful of you that might care about the saga of Joe Jr's hockey career...

My wife promised him something if he scored a goal (not what I would have done, but whatever). So in the early goings of the game he's actually pretty motivated - and he scored! He's behind the net, he tossed the puck up to the front of the net, it bounces off the goalie's back and in. Pretty fluky, but it was honest - no one fed him that goal. He's pretty happy.

For the rest of the game however it really did nothing to change his overall play. It didn't spark some huge change in him.

One more week left.

Reactions: beedee and Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How the handful of you that might care about the saga of Joe Jr's hockey career...

My wife promised him something if he scored a goal (not what I would have done, but whatever). So in the early goings of the game he's actually pretty motivated - and he scored! He's behind the net, he tossed the puck up to the front of the net, it bounces off the goalie's back and in. Pretty fluky, but it was honest - no one fed him that goal. He's pretty happy.

For the rest of the game however it really did nothing to change his overall play. It didn't spark some huge change in him.

One more week left.
You're hanging in there, and you're doing it together :)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if next year he asks you if he can enroll in hockey. You can never figure kids out!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Finally hockey season is over for Joe Jr.

I mostly gave up on coaching him at this point, but I couldn't help myself: "Joe Jr - two hands on your stick!" Same thing I've been telling him all year, not like it made any difference.

My heart breaks though when I overhear his teammates get frustrated at him for his lack of effort. The same kid who said 'you could make the NHL' a couple weeks ago got frustrated with him on the bench today, saying 'if you're on defence you can't just let them skate past you'.

But the season is over. Thank God. No f***ing way I'm signing him up for hockey again. We can find something else he actually likes.

By the way, I do really love this kid.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I think you made the best out of a bad situation but it seemed to be made a much bigger thing than need be. It is just a recreational activity for Jr, not his total identity. No different than trying a musical instrument and finding out it's not his thing. Hopefully he does find his thing that he gets passionate and excited about.

Good luck and keep loving him BIG TIME!!

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Reading this thread as the new parent of a 1 year old boy has been quite the education. Thanks to all who contributed. Of course I’m rooting for him to be the top pick come the 2039 draft, but in the much more plausible outcome that he is something else I want to do everything I can to support him and help him figure out what he wants out of life.

when I was a kid, my two activities were baseball and piano, and I wasn’t a big fan of either. I’m sure my parents could tell I wasn’t particularly enthusiastic but I don’t remember either of them telling me that I could give it up, and they also never really pushed me to improve. I think my mentality as a 9 year old was that they were something I had to do, akin to going to school, and not a voluntary exercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My parents let me quit wrestling after I finished the season. There is no quitting beforehand unless hill he gets injured. He signed up and has to do this for 6 more weeks whether he hates it or not.

I hated wrestling. We’d run for like 90 minutes a day and the weekend meets would be all freaking day on Saturdays. It sucked. But I think it’s a better lesson learned to deal with your shit sandwich when you’re young. It’s a universal lesson and it’s best not to develop bad work ethic habits.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So I totally agree. I think he doesn't enjoy it, but doesn't want to let us down.

But I need him to take ownership of that decision. If I just stop taking him to hockey he's going to resent it, either that "I wouldn't let him play hockey", or that he'll feel embarrassed that he isn't good enough to play hockey.

We might try tae kwon do. Last spring we did a free lesson that he really enjoyed and we were going to sign him up. But then we had yet another Covid wave and we put it off.

I will say that while he can do any activity he wants, I do want him doing some kind of sports or athletic activity, just because physical fitness is an important life habit to build.
Curling! It is a fantastic sport for kids to play. If you just want to have fun or if you want to really be competitive. Either way its something you can do for the rest of your life. And 8-10 is a good age time to start in a Little Rocks program.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Curling! It is a fantastic sport for kids to play. If you just want to have fun or if you want to really be competitive. Either way its something you can do for the rest of your life. And 8-10 is a good age time to start in a Little Rocks program.
Heh. As it so happens my family is big in curling. My brother is president of his curling club, my dad just got back from the Brier, I've played for a number of years as both a youth and an adult.

Myself I've really been enjoying playing hockey as it's far more physical than curling, but I know I'll go back to curling some day. And I'd be far more able to help Joe Jr with his curling than I would his hockey...

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Reading this thread as the new parent of a 1 year old boy has been quite the education. Thanks to all who contributed. Of course I’m rooting for him to be the top pick come the 2039 draft, but in the much more plausible outcome that he is something else I want to do everything I can to support him and help him figure out what he wants out of life.
I've been following along as well since my daughter is 4 and I had her in the local hockey intro program here. She was mostly learning to skate and she said she liked it, but she always wanted to leave early and not pay attention to the coaches. That said, she wanted to attend and was happy to stop whatever she was doing to get ready to go. I was very conscious of not pushing her too hard right now so I let her decide on when she had enough and wanted to stop for the day.

I was pretty happy the other day when her mom dropped her off the other night as I was watching a game, she plopped herself down on the couch as I fetched her some milk and when I came out she told me that I need to watch hockey more so "she can learn". I asked her what she learned and she noticed that everyone had their knees in front of them so I got to explain to her that bending your knees is a really important part of skating. Of course, five minutes later she complained that it was boring and wanted to watch something else, but... baby steps!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Heh. As it so happens my family is big in curling. My brother is president of his curling club, my dad just got back from the Brier, I've played for a number of years as both a youth and an adult.

Myself I've really been enjoying playing hockey as it's far more physical than curling, but I know I'll go back to curling some day. And I'd be far more able to help Joe Jr with his curling than I would his hockey...
Curling can be pretty physical!! I played competitively going back to the days of corn brooms. Never been in as good shape as I was when I was most involved. One day we played 5 games and as a second I can honestly say it just about killed me. These days sweeping is so crucial that the front ends on the best teams are in incredible shape. But of course it is also possible to play without really exerting ones self as well which is what makes the sport so broadly attractive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Without reading the responses, here's my take based on my own experiences with my kids mind you there isn't much of a hockey scene here so it's in another sport.

My youngest seemed indifferent to playing the sport that my kids are in, I would get frustrated because I knew that there was a lot of potential there. Covid hit and I kept the youngest out for about a year. When we returned it was like a lightbulb went off and suddenly the indifference turned into a drive to be a game changer. The coach asked if we were practicing at home and I said not really except for a few 1V1's vs. their older sibling. Long story short, within a calendar year my youngest went from out of the sport to one of the best players at their age group.

My advice would be to talk to your child, tell them that if it's not hockey they will need to pick another activity to stay fit and healthy. See if they have interest in another sport or if they'd prefer to stay in hockey. Tell them that you do not expect them to be the next Gretzky but that you want them to work as hard as they can to be the best that they can be whether that's a 1st liner or someone that rotates in and out of the lineup. Tell them that learning to work hard is what you are looking for here and the results on an individual and team basis are not your primary objectives. Learning to work hard and together with others is the main reasons for them playing along with having fun. If they need a break give it to them, but that doesn't mean sitting in front of video games 24/7 so they will need to find a replacement for hockey if they want to walk away.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Finally hockey season is over for Joe Jr.

I mostly gave up on coaching him at this point, but I couldn't help myself: "Joe Jr - two hands on your stick!" Same thing I've been telling him all year, not like it made any difference.

My heart breaks though when I overhear his teammates get frustrated at him for his lack of effort. The same kid who said 'you could make the NHL' a couple weeks ago got frustrated with him on the bench today, saying 'if you're on defence you can't just let them skate past you'.

But the season is over. Thank God. No f***ing way I'm signing him up for hockey again. We can find something else he actually likes.

By the way, I do really love this kid.
We're all on your side.

You're one of my heros :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad