Advice: What to do when your other 2 forwards won’t pass to you?

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Besides give them the business on the bench which isn’t always the best way and could make it worse.

Of course in organized hockey with a coach they usually notice this and they take care of or at least address it.

More or less I’m talking drop in situations or beer league with no coach or a real captain.

Seems to me the best advice is just to go to the net then every time even if you’re a winger? That was maybe you will get a point and they’ll have to eventually include you.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Try and get more open? Beaver tail taps. Not sure.

Depending on how many bodies might be in Open, slide to the end of the bench next time you are up and let someone else take a turn with those 2 or even switch teams if it's Light v Dark jerseys kind of thing.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
If every time you play pick up hockey and the other 2 forwards wont pass to you, you're probably doing something wrong like not getting open enough, not creating a passing lane, moving slower than the play, etc.

If it's just a few players in particular, just talk to them. Have to be vocal about stuff like that. Don't have to be rude about it, but just tell them that you were open at the one spot on the last play or whatever.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
If every time you play pick up hockey and the other 2 forwards wont pass to you, you're probably doing something wrong like not getting open enough, not creating a passing lane, moving slower than the play, etc.

If it's just a few players in particular, just talk to them. Have to be vocal about stuff like that. Don't have to be rude about it, but just tell them that you were open at the one spot on the last play or whatever.

It’s not even most times

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
When you play with other players, do they pass to you?

It's difficult to give advice because it could be a lot of different things. It could be that you're not getting to the right places. It could be they're just selfish pricks.

Generally speaking, I find in drop in situations, some of the players either don't have the hockey sense or vision to make passes or they're just there to hotdog, so you could be Ovi standing in front of an open net, and the pass won't ever be coming.

If it's drop in, my strategy is to drop back to defense. That way the play is always coming to you and along with it the puck. Now, you're in control of who gets the puck, who doesn't, and if you want to go for a skate, you go for a skate.

If it's a league, that can be a more sensitive thing. For the most part, if the puck isn't coming to me when I know it should, I call for it. If I'm still not getting it, I start asking the other two players questions like "Am I in the wrong position? Cause I thought I was open for a pass. Was I covered and didn't know it? Where do you want me to go in that situation?"

Now it opens up an opportunity to communicate. You'll learn one of several things, that you're not in the right position for them, they have terrible hockey sense, or they don't care and are puck hogs. If they're selfish players, it brings up the fact that you know they're being selfish.

If the situation persists, in terms of them being puck hogs, then I'd consider finding a new team next year. In the mean time, you can just say screw it and go full asshole and start cherry picking and stop passing, too. Or better yet, get ahead of the play, and if they don't pass, go offside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ojoisten sonni

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I played on a line with a Dad and son one time...
There would go entire games where I wouldnt receive a pass in my area at all.

The only thing I did is try and work on the defensive side so I could drive the possession the way I wanted once I got possession.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

If its pick up, they're just not talking to him because they don't know him. They don't know his tendencies. In pickup, I always see couples stick together that know how each other play...

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Generally no-one passes to me apart from a few people who I know. They pass to each other, and afterwards chit chat about the superb plays they made, passing back and forth to each other and scoring. This is the problem with open scrimmages in my experience. I pass to them lots, usually when I tackle an opponent and recover the puck. I play D. Hi ho.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
If you work hard in the defensive zone, and get them the puck they'll recognize the effort and return it to you in the offensive zone.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
If you work hard in the defensive zone, and get them the puck they'll recognize the effort and return it to you in the offensive zone.

Nope, several have had lots of passes from me, no passes back, and one just puts me down when on the benches. Mind you I recently told the **** where to go, so that solved the last problem. :DD

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Talk to them about it on the bench

If the problem persists, I'd honestly just start trying to take the puck from them

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Whatever you do, don't do that. That's like rule #2 or #3 teaching little kids - don't fight your team mate for the puck.

We're not talking about little kids though

This is about grown men who refuse to pass him the puck

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I lived with this a lot of my hockey playing days, because I was a playmaker and not a sniper. My linemates were snipers. This translated into them keeping the puck in basically all situations, and then often losing it when I could have made something happen. What you should do is talk rationally with them about the importance of distributing the puck, because it is easy to defend a predictable team. What I DID DO was go offside until they got the point it was time to headman the $%$#^* puck.

Reactions: LeifUK

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I lived with this a lot of my hockey playing days, because I was a playmaker and not a sniper. My linemates were snipers. This translated into them keeping the puck in basically all situations, and then often losing it when I could have made something happen. What you should do is talk rationally with them about the importance of distributing the puck, because it is easy to defend a predictable team. What I DID DO was go offside until they got the point it was time to headman the $%$#^* puck.

Yes, I get some positive comments because when I get the puck from an opponent, I will pass if there is someone better placed than me. All too often the better players will think they are so good that they will skate with the puck, rather than pass, and end up losing it, often in our zone.

I won't tackle someone on my 'team' (these are informal drop in sessions) as that causes aggro, and talking to them is useless as they just say I'm not good enough to make use of a pass. Ironically the last pass I received (from someone who does pass), I passed two opponents and scored, and the week before that I had a pass (from another player who does pass) and scored. It's a catch 22 situation. But basically it's a couple of groups who play in a rec team, and use the drop in sessions to train, and people like me are just there to subsidise the drop in sessions. Sad but true. All part of learning to play.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
talking to them is useless as they just say I'm not good enough to make use of a pass.

Personally, I'd say to them how the hell is anyone supposed to get better if you don't give them the puck to try? In fact, truly good players make those around them better by generating opportunities for them, usually by springing others with a well timed pass.

IMHO, anyone who thinks they're too good to even try to set someone else up, especially in something like drop in, is not a good player. They're just pricks who have a need to stroke their own ego.

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
Get open as much as possible, then start banging your stick. It's the only way.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
We're not talking about little kids though

This is about grown men who refuse to pass him the puck

Yeah but without seeing the situation of the OP, all we can guess from the post is one of two things

1. OP is not getting himself open enough
2. He is playing with selfish Man-Babies who brag about pick up game goals

I seen it both ways.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah but without seeing the situation of the OP, all we can guess from the post is one of two things

1. OP is not getting himself open enough
2. He is playing with selfish Man-Babies who brag about pick up game goals

I seen it both ways.

It's a bit of both. One friend does not bother to go any more, referring to them as 'show ponies'. I thought this sort of thing was normal for drop in sessions. It's worst for the good but not that good players. The really good ones have nothing to prove, and go out of their way to pass to others rather than show pony from one end to the other and score.

This is why I found a good rec team with training that forces everyone to pass and receive pucks.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
In pick-up, don't pass the puck to those who never pass it to you. Use the opportunity to practice handling the puck, and pass it to the few who do pass it and to beginners to help them develop.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
FWIW did a casual scrimmage this morning, and I got a couple of lovely long passes when I was not near opponents, which allowed me to sprint half the rink length, and take a shot at goal, one of them hitting home. Admittedly we were playing at a low level, and casual, but I don’t normally get such opportunities. Totally different atmosphere at this session. We also had a young woman on ice for her first hockey session, very unsure of herself, not a good skater, but everyone made her feel welcome, and gave her passes to practise puck handling, and gave her time to act. That sort of thing creates a pleasant atmosphere IMO. The difference was an unofficial coach who enforced a no show pony rule, and play as a team.

Maybe that’s the answer when forwards won’t pass to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad