Speculation: What to Do in the Offseason

Dec 13, 2010
He's the worst Rangers defenseman this year, including Falk. He's our #7 right now. Blame it on switching sides, I'll agree to an extent, but the guy has been below average on the left side too. His minutes are high because he (for some reason) plays on the power play and Staal was injured for a while. If Sauer never got hurt this guy would already be gone.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Looking at the roster of potential unrestricted free agents this summer, a veritable treasure trove of big names could be available. Except they won’t, because if recent history is any indicator, most of those players will sign extensions long before their rights come up.

Joe Thornton, Henrik Lundqvist and Dion Phaneuf are all technically eligible, but the chances of them hitting the open market are slim.

“There’s less people in the pool,†said Phoenix Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving. “You just know from now to July a significant amount of guys will re-sign with their own teams.â€

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/h...ll-the-stars-re-signing-before-becoming-ufas/

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers should have the money to pick and chose which players they want to keep. You don't want to be the Winnipeg Jets who have all of their key players signed to long-term contracts and the team isn't in position to make the playoffs again. That team is locked into the those players and they are not easy to move.

The Rangers absolutely have the money to pick and choose who they want to sign and beyond that, they don't have to be overly scrupulous with how much of a raise each one gets. This is especially true if they buy out Brad Richards. Hell... if they buy out Brad Richards, Sather will have the money to bring in a $3m-5m player in all likelihood. Just like last year, our Cap problems are already starting to be overblown.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers absolutely have the money to pick and choose who they want to sign and beyond that, they don't have to be overly scrupulous with how much of a raise each one gets. This is especially true if they buy out Brad Richards. Hell... if they buy out Brad Richards, Sather will have the money to bring in a $3m-5m player in all likelihood. Just like last year, our Cap problems are already starting to be overblown.

Sather with cap space. The only thing worse than Sather without cap space.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
:laugh:

Well, at least he wouldn't have the $$ to vastly overpay someone. Only overpay by something like $1m, if it came to it. No albatross deals would be possible.

I could see Sather giving Phanuef 7 years should he become available. Easily

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I could see Sather giving Phanuef 7 years should he become available. Easily

I was referring to what's left after he budgets to bring all of our guys back. Phaneuf will want more than we should be able to offer.

Edit: Unless something drastically changes with this roster. That's happened before, so.. really, in a lot of ways this thread is premature.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I was referring to what's left after he budgets to bring all of our guys back. Phaneuf will want more than we should be able to offer.

Edit: Unless something drastically changes with this roster. That's happened before, so.. really, in a lot of ways this thread is premature.

I also dont think he brings back all "our" guys, whoever that means. Nor should he, to be honest.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I also dont think he brings back all "our" guys, whoever that means. Nor should he, to be honest.

Well... it doesn't even really mean all of them, specifically. When doing the math on this stuff, the players I usually bring back (resign) are Lundqvist, Girardi, Callahan, Zuccarello, Kreider, Stralman, Brassard, Boyle, DZ, and Falk. No Pouliot, Pyatt, Moore, Asham, Powe. I pencil in a bunch of young players in our bottom-6 as placeholders making similar money also. The truth is that, outside of Hank, DG, Cally, Kreider and Stralman... every player on the roster is merely a placeholder.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Well... it doesn't even really mean all of them, specifically. When doing the math on this stuff, the players I usually bring back (resign) are Lundqvist, Girardi, Callahan, Zuccarello, Kreider, Stralman, Brassard, Boyle, DZ, and Falk. No Pouliot, Pyatt, Moore, Asham, Powe. I pencil in a bunch of young players in our bottom-6 as placeholders making similar money also. The truth is that, outside of Hank, DG, Cally, Kreider and Stralman... every player on the roster is merely a placeholder.

I think Girardi is a goner. I also think Brassard will be here another year, but I wouldnt mind seeing him sent packing either.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Girardi might be gone... but we will have to replace him too, then. There isn't a single player on the FA market who brings what Girardi brings at his position, so barring a trade, Girardi leaving would cause this team a big problem.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Girardi might be gone... but we will have to replace him too, then. There isn't a single player on the FA market who brings what Girardi brings at his position, so barring a trade, Girardi leaving would cause this team a big problem.

You can let Girardi go and bring in Dan Boyle. It doesn't solve any long term problems but you'll get him on a shorter deal that brings less risk. I think you can grab him for two years, 6.5-7 million. It's expensive but he's still playing at a great level and probably fits this team better than Girardi. I think a McDonagh-Boyle pairing would be top 5 in the league next season easy.

One of McIlrath, Tommy Hughes, or Calle Anderson turning into a top 2 pairing RHD would be huge. McIlrath is our best there but even he might only turn out to be a bottom pairing guy. We should definitely consider either drafting or trading for another young RHD.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
What I would do, depending on our team at the deadline, of course, is move Girardi and Callahan nice returns (at the deadline, obviously), and maybe try to package the first rounders we'd (likely) get in return at the draft for a top-5 pick.

I don't see any other way we'd find a franchise center, which is what this team desperately needs.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
TRADES
  • MDZ, MSC, Asham, NYR 1st to Edmonton for EDM 1st, Labarbera, Omark and Klefbom (soon)
  • Girardi + Kristo +? for E Kane (closer to deadline)
  • Brassard + R Bourque + 3rd for S Ott (deadline deal)

UFAs
Resign Lundqvist, Callahan, Ott, Boyle, MZA & Stralman
Sign D. Phaneuf & D. Engelland

RFAs
Resign Kreider, J Moore

2014/2015 ROSTER

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($2.200m) / Steve Ott ($3.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) or J.T. Miller ($0.894m) - both being on roster / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
Mats Zuccarello ($1.700m) / Brian Boyle ($2.300m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($2.600m)
John Moore ($1.550m) / Dylan McIlrath ($0.703m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.200m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $68,900,000
CAP PAYROLL: $67,623,333
BONUSES: $1,121,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,276,667

USE THE EDMONTON 1ST WISELY!!!

goalsequalvictory

Apr 28, 2013
TRADES
  • MDZ, MSC, Asham, NYR 1st to Edmonton for EDM 1st, Labarbera, Omark and Klefbom (soon)

UFAs

RFAs
Resign Kreider, J Moore

2014/2015 ROSTER

FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) or J.T. Miller ($0.894m) - both being on roster / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
TOTALS

I like it, although I don't think the Peg would do the Kane deal. They get a rental Girardi who they probably won't resign, they probably will be out of the playoff race, so it won't matter to them. They get Kristo and a ?, that ? is going to have to be pretty large to get them to consider it.

Other that that, nice thoughts.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Do you really think the Oilers will trade their first AND Klefbom for essentially MDZ and a late first? The rest coming from the Rangers is garbage.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Do you really think the Oilers will trade their first AND Klefbom for essentially MDZ and a late first? The rest coming from the Rangers is garbage.

Ask Klefboms agent how many games he has dressed in the NHL so far? He is yet still but 20 yo but look at this: MDZ has exactly 300 NHL games so far - as a 23 yo. 89 points.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm basing my thoughts around going market value and not sentimental value. Guys that can play will get paid, or leave, it'll be a matter of who, because some of these guys might be impossible to replace in one off season.

UFA's
RW: Ryan Callahan ($4,275,000) Keep, will take close to Dustin Brown money. 8 x 5.3

C: Brian Boyle ($1,700,000) Hits it big as UFA, gets close to Hanzal/Gordon money on a 3 year deal. Think he ends up in Boston.

LW: Taylor Pyatt ($1,550,000) Gone

LW: Benoit Pouliot ($1,300,000) Why is he even listed here?

C: Dominic Moore ($1,000,000) Wait and see. Keep if his faceoff ability is above the 49% that it is now, and he shows hustle and grit every game.

D: Dan Girardi ($3,325,000) Keep. Callahan money, except maybe on a 6 year $33M

D: Anton Stralman ($1,700,000) Top 4 D get paid. Is Anton Stralman worth anything over $3M? He'll get more than that on the market. Lock that down. Think a team in need of D gives him 4+ years at close to 4 if not above.

G: Henrik Lundqvist ($6,875,000) Keep. 5 x 8.25

LW: Darrol Powe ($1,066,667) He's bouncing.

RW: Arron Asham ($1,000,000) Gone.

C: Micheal Haley ($600,000) Would like to keep on a one way. But I think he ends up with an NHL job elsewhere.

D: Stu Bickel ($750,000) Gone. SPC space is valuable.

D: Aaron Johnson ($600,000) Would like to keep for AHL team, but think he goes elsewhere.

D: Danny Syvret ($587,500) Would like to keep for AHL team, but think he goes elsewhere.

RFA's
C: Derick Brassard ($3,200,000) Gone. Move via trade before he gets his 10% bump on a rendering RFA rights. I think he goes the route of Zherdev and just isn't picked up.

LW: Mats Zuccarello ($1,150,000) Keep. 2 Year deal doubling salary if he keeps it up.

C: Chris Kreider ($800,000) Bridge on a low bridge deal. Took his time growing up so he earns his paycheck the same way. Did not get full value for ELC, so unless he hits 30 goals, there is no way he gets anything more that Coutre's bridge.

D: Michael Del Zotto ($2,550,000) Wait and see. Would keep with Stralman likely not being worth UFA money, and Staal hitting UFA next year. I think he picks it up, and Moore never takes a top 4 role.

D: Justin Falk ($975,000) Gone.

D: John Moore ($840,000) Bridge. To me he is a Bret Hedican type of player, and that is excellent to have on the third pair. The shine on the new toy is wearing off a bit, he hasn't shown jack in terms of being a top 4 defenseman outside of his physical gifts and potential. Think the bridge deal will reflect that.

LW: Danny Kristo ($875,000) Keep. Up next year.

LW: Kyle Jean ($705,000) Gone. SPCs

LW: Ryan Bourque ($656,667) Gone. SPCs

LW: Brandon Mashinter ($605,000) Keep, losing toughness in the minors means your hotshot prospects being out with concussions.

LW: Jason Wilson ($583,333) Gone.

G: Jason Missiaen ($675,000) Gone. Need an AHL goalie. Euro/college ufas can be signed with SPCs off the books. Goalie depth is a need.

G: Scott Stajcer ($620,000) Gone.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
What kind of a contract is Lundqvist worth right now and going forward? Based on everything he has done and based on the hope he still has a good 4 or 5 years left I say he easily deserves a 6 year 7.5 mil deal and I think he will earn every cent. He has more than earned every cent of the contract he is finishing up now.

The problem is that the Big Brich was way more of a risk and they gave him that contract, he has also failed miserably to live up to any single year of that contract. How do you give contracts like that away and then tell Lundqvist off? I don't think you can give him an 8 year 8 mil deal. 8 year for 6 mil I'd look at in a negotiation as my start point but he's going to want a raise despite the years of security so it'd have to go 7 for 7. Slightly more money and a shorter time span. I dunno I get why people are hesitant to pay him after what he's done this year in a few too many games but he's clearly still one of the best in the world and should continue to be for another 3 or 4 years.

I don't think Callahan should get a cent above 5 mil. His game seems to be falling off a little the last two years.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
TRADES

UFAs

RFAs
Resign Kreider, J Moore

2014/2015 ROSTER

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
TOTALS

I definitely don't think that Edm trade would happen. What are MSC and Asham worth? Maybe together a 7th round pick or a toothpick... MDZ isn't netting a potential top 5 pick in the draft let alone a potential 1st overall.

With girardi's contract, age and Kristo's defensive inability I don't think that nets Kane either. Although I think it's pretty close especially if Kane is lobbying to get out of WPG.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This would really be a perfect time to put Sather out to pasture.

Bring in new blood, give them 40 or so games to evaluate before the trade deadline. Sell of assets not part of the future, build a team with a plan in place.

...one can dream.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This would really be a perfect time to put Sather out to pasture.

Bring in new blood, give them 40 or so games to evaluate before the trade deadline. Sell of assets not part of the future, build a team with a plan in place.

...one can dream.

That would require competence, which is unfortunate because our FO is about as competent as Jack Nicholson after being lobotomized in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad