What the pros think - Vegas Golden Knights Brand

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
http://hockeybydesign.com/2016/12/hbd-breakdown-vegas-golden-knights-name-and-wordmark/

They've got the same opinion as a lot of people here when it comes to the Las Vegas/Vegas thing. I appreciate them putting it in words though.

They go pretty in depth and this is the first part of the brand deconstruction, the next part should be out soon.

Here's an article from a site I frequent doing the same from a non-hockey/sports design viewpoint:

http://www.underconsideration.com/b...gas_golden_knights_by_adidas.php#.WFXez_krL4Z

Jun 6, 2016
Great read, just fueled my fire of hatred again as I was just starting to come off it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think they really missed the boat not coming up with an LV logo/mark.

I'd really like to travel around airports and other cities wearing something with LV on it to represent the city. The logo's cool, but your average joe isn't going to know what it is or represents.

I'm sure there's a big market for "LV" stuff. Eliminating the Las kind of kills that.

Jun 6, 2016
I think they really missed the boat not coming up with an LV logo/mark.

I'd really like to travel around airports and other cities wearing something with LV on it to represent the city. The logo's cool, but your average joe isn't going to know what it is or represents.

I'm sure there's a big market for "LV" stuff. Eliminating the Las kind of kills that.
1 trillion %

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

BB, good point.

With all the thought & design put into contemporary (more elaborate) sports logos & jerseys, it still seems the most powerful & popular designs are stuff like Yankees' "NY", and Bears "C".

People like & understand the power of basic symbols.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I will also add that Billy noted that the team's best selling jersey was one that said Las Vegas on the front. I wasn't the biggest Wrangler fan but I always respected their consideration for the fans.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Feels like he ripped my reasoning for why I thought for sure it wouldn't be just Vegas right out of my post history.

I felt the stuff on the wordmark was nitpicky but otherwise good read. He revitalized my frustration with the dropping of Las

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Stop the "Las"-yness!

:shakehead

It's getting real old and tired and sounding like whining of old and tired guys.

It's Vegas, baby! :yo:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The critique of the wordmark ignores the "V" in the helmet. The font is the way it is because it enhances that "V". It just sounds like the guy doesn't like serif fonts.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Honestly, the name doesn't excite me. It's boring. The main logo is just ok. The V is a nice touch but when I see the whole thing on merchandise, I'm not moved in any way to make a purchase.
The secondary logo is better but nothing original. I'll wait and see what the jersey looks like.
In the end, I am excited that there will be NHL hockey played in this city. I am looking forward to watching other teams play here and even if they had sold me on the name and logo, I still wouldn't become a home team fan.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Stop the "Las"-yness!

:shakehead

It's getting real old and tired and sounding like whining of old and tired guys.

It's Vegas, baby! :yo:

Are you from Las Vegas? I've been in Las Vegas for 10+ years now.

The reasoning given in the article is spot on. This is a professional organization using a city's nickname as its official name. It's unprofessional

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Twenty something years, and they don't get to decide to change the name just because they want to.

This isn't a Carolina situation, it's a Jersey situation. I'm kind of over it, but it's just ****** branding and community outreach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad