What the hell is a true #1 center?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Going by what most people think, there are only 10 or so #1 centers in the entire league. People think really high point production, and also goals.

Stepan is tied for assists with Toews, and right behind Kopitar and Tavares. That says a lot. My main gripe with Stepan has been his occasional indecisiveness with the puck. He has prime shooting chances which he will give away in order to make a pass, that in turn leads to a worse shooting chnce for the other player.

Stepan IS a #1 C whether people will agree on it or not. He is still also young. If he gains a little more confidence and starts shooting more I think the fan base will all be really, really happy with him.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Stepan from last year was a pretty high level and competent 1st line center, but i think you have to look at consistency to better evaluate a player's overall abilities and skills.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Stepan from last year was a pretty high level and competent 1st line center, but i think you have to look at consistency to better evaluate a player's overall abilities and skills.

Stepan last year was a ppg two way beast. Expecting that again would be setting yourself up for a letdown. Stepan seems to be a really good second half guy. Practically a ppg since January both this year and last year. If he could get off to a good start he would be a lot higher in the points department. Stepan this year still finished top 30 offensively and is better than most of those guys defensively. We absolutely have a 1C in Stepan.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I would say 20 centers are true first liners. I would say the bottom 10 teams center-wise are all complaining about their 1C. Also since 16 teams make the playoffs, 20 is more than that. If you are in the bottom 10, your center quality is just not playoff quality.

The top 10 centers are stars. The middle 10 are acceptable. The bottom 10 are the kind of centers you want on your second line if you are a Cup contender.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Should be one of the best 30 centers in the nhl. People around here think there are only maybe 5 number one centers in the entire league though.

It might be the worst term on these boards.

Yeah, and preferably you want a 1st line center that can match-up 1 on 1 at the higher levels.

Stepan has done a fairly good job with that this year, and I don't think he was able to do that previous years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad