What the hell ever happened to Vlad Evseev?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why was he so highly regarded? His stats dont seem very good.

Stats hardly ever tell the story for young Russians (they generally get MINIMAL ice time on senior teams).

He was always known to be a bit lazy, but he was very, very skilled. I mean, I expected him to at least be a middling European player and put together a decent career over there. He fell absolutely flat on his face.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Lot of Russian busts from the early 2000s. Guys inside and around the top-ten at that.

Evseev. Yakubov. Igor Radulov. Vorobiev. Chistov. Alexeev. Smirnov. Svitov. Mikhnov.

Thats just off the top of my head. I remember Yakubov, Radulov and Vorobiev being the young, dynamic Russian triumvirate that was going to restore the Chicago Blackhawks to their former glory, along with their Bell-Arnason-Calder line.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
At least he hit the nail on the head with his 2002 scouting report of then draft prospect Boyd Gordon...

"Boyd Gordon is a very complete, all-around player who is willing to sacrifice personal goals and numbers to do whatever is best for the team. A coach's dream in that he's willing to take on any role. Can play up on the top scoring line, be a stifling checker and super pest, or anchor the penalty killing unit. He's a terrific skater with skills, hockey sense, and character. Now if only he were 6-foot-3..."

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
players drop for a reason....

Yes. I know this. That's not really my point.

My point was that this kid didn't even make a name for himself in EUROPE. He was terrible at every level of hockey he played. It's shocking that someone so talented can't even turn out to be a middling minor leaguer or Euro player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lot of Russian busts from the early 2000s. Guys inside and around the top-ten at that.

Evseev. Yakubov. Igor Radulov. Vorobiev. Chistov. Alexeev. Smirnov. Svitov. Mikhnov.

At least all of those guys are still kicking the tires (successfully or not) over in Europe. That's why I always think of Evseev. Dude crashed and burned harder than any of those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad