What team losing the first round would be the biggest disappointment? Carolina, Edmonton or Toronto

What team losing the first round would be the biggest disappointment?

• Carolina

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 118 52.2%
  • Toronto

Votes: 23 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
As a Canes fan? Canes.

We made it past first round in four of the last five play-off runs. And we didn’t get worse.

Edmonton wasting McJesus… would be sadly on brand.

We choke in ECF (last year nothing went our way). Oilers choke in general.
Leafs almost made second round in salary cap era later than Seattle.

Carolina losing in round 1 to Philly or Washington would be devastating. They went all in at the deadline by adding Kuzy and Guentzel.

They have a lot of expiring contracts this summer too (Teravainen, Guentzel, Necas and Pesce).
Losing to Washington would be so much worse on so many levels - because I hate Washington, one of my favorite Cane memories is beating WSH on the road in G7 in their cup defense season, we took their scraps lately, I hate Washington, division rivals from SE.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Losing to Washington would be so much worse on so many levels - because I hate Washington, one of my favorite Cane memories is beating WSH on the road in G7 in their cup defense season, we took their scraps lately, I hate Washington, division rivals from SE.

From my perspective as a Caps fan, I don't think about Carolina enough, even though you guys got the best of us in 2019.

My frustration was always caused by the Penguins mainly, but getting the Cup from them in 2018 solved that.

I look forward to hopefully get a rematch. I wouldn't mind seeing the Caps send Orlov and Kuzy home prematurely ;)

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
From my perspective as a Caps fan, I don't think about Carolina enough, even though you guys got the best of us in 2019.

My frustration was always caused by the Penguins mainly, but getting the Cup from them in 2018 solved that.

I look forward to hopefully get a rematch. I wouldn't mind seeing the Caps send Orlov and Kuzy home prematurely ;)
Honestly me neither because ultimately we got good when you started to drop off. We got bounced by a different since 2020, I just love to hate.

Wouldn't mind meeting you either. But I wouldn't wish for a good series. Only absolutely dismantling you would make me happy.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I don't think the expectations are quite there with Carolina as opposed to Edmonton and Toronto. I don't get the feeling that heads will roll in Carolina. Where as Toronto you know for sure Keefe is fired with a 1st round loss or even a 2nd round loss. He is fortunate that the rare time a new GM comes in that he didn't get the boot as well, but if he loses 1st round he's gone and he knows it.

I don't think Knoblauch is gone in Edmonton, but the idea is that the window of McDavid and Drai on the same team could be closing, so this is why I chose Edmonton. They've got the best player in the NHL. If Matthews and co. never win a Cup in Toronto, well, we've seen that before in Toronto. Matthews would be among the greats to never win a Cup, but he isn't the ALL-TIME great to never win, which I believe is now McDavid.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
By now, would it be newsworthy if any of these teams go out in the first round? None of them have showed anywhere close to the level of mental toughness required for a playoff run for years

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Carolina, followed closely by EDM.

The McDavid aspect is offset by EDM likely drawing the knights in round 1. Losing to the knights will suck but I don't think it qualifies as devastating as losing to like WSH.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hard to decide between edmonton and carolina. Both should win. Toronto would be hilarious to see out in the first round but also not a surprise.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Edmonton, hands down

There'a no disappointment with the Leafs losing in the first round, only fun times

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Duffy13

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Depends, I said Edmonton because I want them to do well, if Carolina loses it's not a big deal to me, except for that draft pick, but oh well. If Toronto loses the entertainment is off the charts.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
By now, would it be newsworthy if any of these teams go out in the first round? None of them have showed anywhere close to the level of mental toughness required for a playoff run for years
I don’t know. 2 ECF appearances. 4 times beating first round in 5 play-offs. Still winning at least the play-in when not making it out of the first round.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Carolina is probably gonna face Philadelphia or Washington

Toronto is probably gonna face Boston or Florida

Edmonton is probably gonna face Vegas

easily Carolina, there's a huge difference in opponent strength between them and the other two

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Edmonton is likely playing Vegas (who will magically get Mark Stone & Co. back for Game 1) and Toronto is playing Boston/Florida… meanwhile Carolina will play Washington.. answer is clear here

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Leafs won’t be the favored team and based in their history not sure the expectations are all that high.

Oilers losing to the Predators would definitely be disappointing considering the short window they are playing with.

Hurricane’s window is greater in length but they will be playing a team, in the first round, who they are 20 points ahead of.

Based purely on expectations of getting past the team they are playing, Hurricanes… based on the entire scenario of not making it deep in the playoffs… Oilers.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Carolina is by far the best team here.

I think everyone expects the Oilers and Leafs to get turfed in the 1st round anyway. Should be no surprise.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Carolina for sure. The Leafs and Oilers will likely be underdogs in their first round matchups. The Hurricanes will be heavy, heavy favourites.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
As an opposing fan, I love star ladden teams lose in first round. Especially when they paid for rentals that won't sign with them. So Carolina this year.
I mean ,,,, they have the least star power even with the rentals

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I went with Oilers they should at least get to 2nd round. Leafs everyone expects to exit out early and Canes who knows but probably should get to 2nd round at least. You could flip Oilers or Canes into 1st or 2nd spot depending on preference.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I could see Edmonton getting a tough matchup. The Metro is pretty soft.

Has to be Carolina.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I voted Edmonton, and while I'm an Oilers fan, that's not exactly why. They're coming off losing to the cup champions 2 years running, and have been talking all year about how this year it is "cup or bust" for the Oilers.

Carolina losing in the 1st round would be awful too, and with some of their free agents this summer, it might be the last chance for them to be competing at the level they are, so I think Carolina is probably right with the Oilers with this, especially as they are probably facing a far weaker team.

Toronto - well, not to intentionally drag the Leafs here, but I don't really expect them to make it through the first round. They're facing either Florida or Boston, and are probably the underdog in either of those matchups. For that reason, I don't think it could be viewed as "devastating" for them to lose in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad