What team has the best defensive core going into 2016-17?

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
This one's a little more subjective than the first thread was, so I can't really use stats to organize it.

If we're talking top to bottom 1 through 6, I like San Jose the most. If we're just looking at top 4, San Jose's still top tier but they're joined or surpassed by the likes of Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Washington and Anaheim. Calgary could be there as well just based on top 3 alone, but given they haven't proven anything under a coach who knows something besides a counterattack game it's hard to justify that kind of placement.

Burns is one of the top offensive defensemen around, Vlasic is arguably the best pure defensive defender in the game (yes I know he can put up points, but he prioritizes and specializes in shutdown defense to a higher extent than the traditional two-way defenseman). Martin is a veteran-savvy two-way guy who can skate, Braun is a solid 2nd pairing player, Dillon is a capable NHL defenseman even if he's limited offensively (and definitely not to the extent that Polak is) and Schlemko is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. They have capable guys who can fill in too in case of injuries, like Mirco Mueller (bearing in mind that "capable" is based on being not a liability in that role, and Mueller can play as a number 5 or 6 in a pinch IMO). Overall, it's a great mix of mobility, smarts, physicality and puck skills.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Calgary has the best D in the league :sarcasm:

I am not sure what you're trying to imply with that. We do have one of the better D cores in the league, maybe even the best. Based on the tone of your post you don't understand that systems, forwards, injuries and goaltenders contribute to the poor on-ice performance of our team last year.

We very well might have the best D in the league if our coach is sensible enough not to pair Wideman and Engelland back together.

Gio-Brodie - Probably the best D pair in the league unless Josi-Subban proves otherwise. Both point producers with great puck moving skill, defensive skill, and incredible chemistry.
Jokipakka-Hamilton - Solid shot suppressing LD with elite shot generating / point producing RD
Wotherspoon-Wideman - Solid shot suppressing LD with quality point producing RD

Jokipakka and Wotherspoon are still unproven as #4 / #6 respectively. But unproven =/= poor. Four of our defenseman can go off for 45+ points, and as long as Jokipakka and Wotherspoon can be adequate in a stay at home role (which they were in a smaller sample with us last year) that is a balanced group. Only wrench in things is Deryk Engelland and our organization's love for him.

Anyways to answer the OP, it's San Jose for now, followed by Nashville and then maybe Chicago. Calgary is probably 4th. L.A. Pitt Tampa St. Louis round out the top tier.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would put it at Preds or Hawks

Hawks brining in Kempny and Campbell is big upgrade and slots TVR out of #4 spot ( A role he was overwhelmed with at times and Rozy into vet #7 role to play rarely

Also have Pokka sitting in Rockford if a trade/injury occurs or a guy like Kempny doesn't work out. Same with Gustafsson

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Kempny-Van Riemsdyk
(Roszival)

Pokka + Gustafsson in AHL if needed

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Nashville, San Jose, Chicago

St Louis is pretty high up the list.

Carolina is up and coming QUICK.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nashville for sure.

St. Louis is probably 2nd.

Chicago is still up there but they need a better #4.

Tampa Bay is strong too with Hedman-Stralman-Coburn-Garrison.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I love the Predators top-4 but isn't their bottom pairing not very good?
Well, we don't quite yet know who that is, but Bitetto looked pretty good to end the season, Matt Carle while he isn't the top pairing guy he used to be, he can still be good, enough, Yanick Weber is a bit of a project but I think he'll fit in Lavy's system.

The one thing I know for certain about Nashville's defense is, it can skate.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I am not sure what you're trying to imply with that. We do have one of the better D cores in the league, maybe even the best. Based on the tone of your post you don't understand that systems, forwards, injuries and goaltenders contribute to the poor on-ice performance of our team last year.

We very well might have the best D in the league if our coach is sensible enough not to pair Wideman and Engelland back together.

Gio-Brodie - Probably the best D pair in the league unless Josi-Subban proves otherwise. Both point producers with great puck moving skill, defensive skill, and incredible chemistry.
Jokipakka-Hamilton - Solid shot suppressing LD with elite shot generating / point producing RD
Wotherspoon-Wideman - Solid shot suppressing LD with quality point producing RD

Jokipakka and Wotherspoon are still unproven as #4 / #6 respectively. But unproven =/= poor. Four of our defenseman can go off for 45+ points, and as long as Jokipakka and Wotherspoon can be adequate in a stay at home role (which they were in a smaller sample with us last year) that is a balanced group. Only wrench in things is Deryk Engelland and our organization's love for him.

Anyways to answer the OP, it's San Jose for now, followed by Nashville and then maybe Chicago. Calgary is probably 4th. L.A. Pitt Tampa St. Louis round out the top tier.

Because last year thats what everyone was saying on the mainboard to the point where it became a meme and then the season went the way it did. Its a joke from last year.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
when you say best do you mean the one that's going to score the most?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Wild isn't the best but average skill in all six slots has to be up there. They'd have a lot more points, too, if our forwards could score.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
What are the point of posts like "Well, MY team isn't the best. But everyone think about MY TEAM cause they're pretty decent!"

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Nashville's third pairing is nothing to write home about though.

Then again, they'll probably only get 8-10 minutes per game.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
What are the point of posts like "Well, MY team isn't the best. But everyone think about MY TEAM cause they're pretty decent!"

Because there is ambiguity in what "best" means? I don't know. Wild certainly aren't the best at scoring, but in other areas they could very well make a case for being "the best" or top 5 or whatever. What's the point in listing anything but the ONE SINGLE team you think will be best? Lighten up, francis, no one is detracting from your Sharks' ranking.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Nashville for sure.

St. Louis is probably 2nd.

Chicago is still up there but they need a better #4.

Tampa Bay is strong too with Hedman-Stralman-Coburn-Garrison.

In your opinion, who is Chicago's #4?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad