What system does the Lightning run?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hey all, Oilers fan here. Over on the Oilers board there has been an interview with the Oilers assistant coach who indicated they were going to change the team’s systems to something that fosters speed and puck possession. He also said it is something similar to what two or three other teams in the NHL run. My mind immediately went to the Lightning as a possibility.

What kind of systems do you guys run, in terms of forechecking and breakout? I’ve tried googling and YouTubing but it is difficult to find clips of a controlled breakout or a full forecheck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think all fanbases have gripes about their coaching staff, but Cooper (IMO anyway as an outsider) is one of the better ones. Probably Top 5 right now in the league, IMO.
Disagree, his defensive and PK systems are laughable and provide no pressure. We allow opponents to pass the puck as much as they want and get a ton of screened point shots or one timers.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Disagree, his defensive and PK systems are laughable and provide no pressure. We allow opponents to pass the puck as much as they want and get a ton of screened point shots or one timers.

Well then, it's a good thing Yzerman got rid of the assistant coach responsible for the defense and PK systems right after the playoffs, isn't it? :rolleyes:

@Cloned we really can't speak to the defense or PK systems right now because of the above mentioned coaching change, but it looks like the assistant coach that turned our meh PP into one of the top in the League will be in charge of those areas too.

We're all VERY interested in the upcoming training camp!! :D

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think we're gonna find out a lot of that was Bowness.

When we were clicking on all cylinders, everything was funneled forward, always, and immediately. Saw it a lot more at the first of the season. Way more north-south than east-west, which allowed our east-west players to shine. But we were constantly moving up ice.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

When we were clicking on all cylinders, everything was funneled forward, always, and immediately. Saw it a lot more at the first of the season. Way more north-south than east-west, which allowed our east-west players to shine. But we were constantly moving up ice.
I hope you are correct

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Coop doesn't strike me as much of an Xs and Os guy as much of a "general philosophy and let the assistants implement it" guy. It feels like he handles the philosophy and the personalities - but frankly that could be me talking out of my ass.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Coop doesn't strike me as much of an Xs and Os guy as much of a "general philosophy and let the assistants implement it" guy. It feels like he handles the philosophy and the personalities - but frankly that could be me talking out of my ass.
I think thats true because the when we hired todd richards the power play really improved

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

And it's on Cooper as the head coach to not let it get that bad, he's ok with standing there and watching the same flaw for 3 seasons? or he's completely ignorant of it. Yzerman has continually gotten him better pieces every year and the defense still looks like a joke as a unit.

I agree with Macho, I feel like he has general blueprint of how the team should function but the implementation is up to the assistants, which is why he's bad at countering in game moves. It could also be because he's also a young coach with considerably less experience than most of his peers, in recent years he's been taken to the cleaners by Trotz, Babcock and Quinnville in playoff games terms of adjustments.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

As the HF Lightning authority on talking out of one's ass I'd have to say that your point seems to have a lot of validity due to the high amount of assistant turnover Cooper has experienced. I have always said he was/is a minimalist and does not make very obvious changes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And it's on Cooper as the head coach to not let it get that bad, he's ok with standing there and watching the same flaw for 3 seasons? or he's completely ignorant of it. Yzerman has continually gotten him better pieces every year and the defense still looks like a joke as a unit.

I agree with Macho, I feel like he has general blueprint of how the team should function but the implementation is up to the assistants, which is why he's bad at countering in game moves. It could also be because he's also a young coach with considerably less experience than most of his peers, in recent years he's been taken to the cleaners by Trotz, Babcock and Quinnville in playoff games terms of adjustments.

Agreed. Given the musical chairs we've seen around him, I'm not sure exactly what it is Cooper does. That said, I don't think we would fire Bowness if he weren't, at least in management's eyes, thought to be responsible for our defensive woes, despite one of the better top-4s in the league. (The idea that Victor Hedman won a Norris in a defense that was often a disaster is kind of telling.)

I also find it funny that we brought Todd Richards in to fix the PP, which he did, and now we're moving him over to fix the PK/defense, while Cooper is somehow still the head coach.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Agreed. Given the musical chairs we've seen around him, I'm not sure exactly what it is Cooper does. That said, I don't think we would fire Bowness if he weren't, at least in management's eyes, thought to be responsible for our defensive woes, despite one of the better top-4s in the league. (The idea that Victor Hedman won a Norris in a defense that was often a disaster is kind of telling.)

I also find it funny that we brought Todd Richards in to fix the PP, which he did, and now we're moving him over to fix the PK/defense, while Cooper is somehow still the head coach.
Yeah, sorta seems like Richards is the real head coach. Not a bad thing if his effect will be similar to the one he had on the PP.

Side note: IMO Richards is how we got Sergachev, his PP system often ran through Drouin artificially increasing his points and perceived value. So thanks Todd :)

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think we're entering the territory where we're starting to overstate Richards' contributions and understate Coop's.

Reactions: Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, sorta seems like Richards is the real head coach. Not a bad thing if his effect will be similar to the one he had on the PP.

Side note: IMO Richards is how we got Sergachev, his PP system often ran through Drouin artificially increasing his points and perceived value. So thanks Todd :)

The PP ran through Drouin becuase his skillset dominates there, he's good on the PP, you're telling me Richards made Drouin look good on the PP? Talk about delusional.

A year ago you were saying Drouin was the most underrated player in the league :laugh: :facepalm:

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The PP ran through Drouin becuase his skillset dominates there, he's good on the PP, you're telling me Richards made Drouin look good on the PP? Talk about delusional.

A year ago you were saying Drouin was the most underrated player in the league :laugh: :facepalm:
A year ago I was pretty much autistic. Disregard anything I said that long ago.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Richards' contribution on the PP, so far as I can see, was mostly our zone entry. We enter the zone in two waves now, with the first slowing down near the line and dropping to the second, who is/are coming with speed. And then we moved our feet a lot more once in the zone. Drouin was borderline dominant in that kind of set-up, especially when he had Hedman and Kucherov to feed, when nobody was standing all that still (which--stillness--was much more the case pre-Richards).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Richards' contribution on the PP, so far as I can see, was mostly our zone entry. We enter the zone in two waves now, with the first slowing down near the line and dropping to the second, who is/are coming with speed. And then we moved our feet a lot more once in the zone. Drouin was borderline dominant in that kind of set-up, especially when he had Hedman and Kucherov to feed, when nobody was standing all that still (which--stillness--was much more the case pre-Richards).

Drouin's specialty was his zone entry, which is why the play ran through him he wasn't anymore dominant in that setup than he is in Montreal, his skillset just excels with open ice as opposed to what Dom is saying about a PP system making him look better than he is which is bluntly false.

Drouin had 26 points on the PP last year playing Kucherov and Hedman, he had 22 this year in Montreal.

A year ago I was pretty much autistic. Disregard anything I said that long ago.

Not much changes in a year I guess.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I wonder if Cooper simply deferred too much to Bowness originally because he was new to NHL coaching and Rick was supposed to be his mentor.

Once that habit of deference was established, it might have been hard - and possibly locker room issue generating - to correct/adjust things against Bowness' system. It does seem like the newer coaches brought in are more in sync with how Cooper likes his team to play.

Just some off-season musings as we wait impatiently for training camp to start. :P

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Drouin's specialty was his zone entry, which is why the play ran through him he wasn't anymore dominant in that setup than he is in Montreal, his skillset just excels with open ice as opposed to what Dom is saying about a PP system making him look better than he is which is bluntly false.

Drouin had 26 points on the PP last year playing Kucherov and Hedman, he had 22 this year in Montreal.

Not much changes in a year I guess.
Wtf man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad