News Article: What Sports Illustrated thought Habs Lineup would be in 2020 (2017)

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I thought it would be funny to look back at what SI thought the Habs lineup would be in 2020...Not even close :laugh:. It goes to show you how fast things can change.

Damn, that lineup is gross..especially the centres and left wingers.

Enjoy!

2020 Vision: What the Montreal Canadiens roster will look like in three years

mtl2020jpg.jpg

Reactions: Mumbo

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Schlemko in the top-4 ? How can you take that seriously ? He was never that good in his "prime"... Alzner was broken when we signed him... :laugh:

But, yeah, it's impossible to project prospects, even for professionals.

Reactions: Gravity

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
14 players drafted and developed by the habs ?

I think there are 14 in the league now in total.
Players on 2020-21 NHL rosters originally drafted/signed by the Habs and who played in the NHL last season (pending release of official opening rosters) as of January 8, 2021...

Forwards:

Alex Belzile
Daniel Carr
Jacob De La Rose
Gabriel Dumont
Jake Evans
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Arturi Lekhonen
Max Pacioretty
Ryan Poehling
Lukas Vejdemo

Dmen:

Nathan Beaulieu
Cale Fleury
Joel Hanley
Otto Leskinen
Ryan McDonagh
Victor Mete
Mikhail Sergachev
PK Subban
Jared Tinordi
Yannick Weber

Goaltenders:

Jaroslav Halak
Charlie Lindgren
Carey Price
Cayden Primeau

Rookies likely to make an opening roster:

Alexander Romanov

ufa:

Ron Hainsey

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I thought it would be funny to look back at what SI thought the Habs lineup would be in 2020...Not even close :laugh:. It goes to show you how fast things can change.

Enjoy!

mtl2020jpg.jpg

If any of us wrote a projection for 3 years from now it would be way off.

But, in particular if this was September 2017, it would look even worse. That they didn't include Pacioretty makes sense. But that he disappeared with no replacement is ridiculous.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Players on 2020-21 NHL rosters originally drafted/signed by the Habs and who played in the NHL last season (pending release of official opening rosters) as of January 8, 2021...

Forwards:

Alex Belzile
Daniel Carr
Jacob De La Rose
Gabriel Dumont
Jake Evans
Alex Galchenyuk
Brendan Gallagher
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Arturi Lekhonen
Max Pacioretty
Ryan Poehling
Lukas Vejdemo

Dmen:

Nathan Beaulieu
Cale Fleury
Joel Hanley
Otto Leskinen
Ryan McDonagh
Victor Mete
Mikhail Sergachev
PK Subban
Jared Tinordi
Yannick Weber

Goaltenders:

Jaroslav Halak
Charlie Lindgren
Carey Price
Cayden Primeau

Rookies likely to make an opening roster:

Alexander Romanov

ufa:

Ron Hainsey

Close 13 regulars,though Weber might have been a regular.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Well all they did is basically put the vets we had back then in a line-up with our young players. You can still see Drouin, Gally, Price, Weber, Petry that are still here. Add in a few prospects like Poehling, Hudon, De La Rose, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Scherbak, McCarron etc. these were our top prospects back then. I mean it's not as awful as some of you are making out. Alzner wasn't supposed to crap out like he did.

I dont think SI is pretending they had a crystal ball.

It would be impossible to predict that Galchenyuk turned into Josh Anderson or that we dealt Pacioretty for Suzuki and Tatar.

I mean it's not as cringy as some of you are saying lol

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
If we did the same thing right now for 2023 it would be similar. Take out some of the older players like Price, Petry, Tatar, Weber, Toffoli and replace them with our top prospects such as Romanov, Guhle, Ylonen, Caufield, Primeau, Norlinder. That's basically all they did.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
If any of us wrote a projection for 3 years from now it would be way off.

Agreed, but it's even worse because prospect development has not been very good for this particular crop of prospects. So the projections didn't materialize.

Reactions: 26Mats

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Enjoy!

mtl2020jpg.jpg

This is one of the reasons why I don't bother responding to posts where they project lineups of the future.

It's a hopeless task, and people generally tend to get way too optimistic about prospects, and don't account for the fact that many of them simply won't make it.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
It doesn’t look like they had the ability to include FA and trades, so the exercise was flawed by design.

It’s written by Ken Campbell, who is the senior writer at THN and follows the Canadian teams closely.

Reactions: Runner77

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I hope that Molson fired Bergevin for signing absolutely no free agents and making no trades for 3 years.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The only relevant prospects from then the article missed in the lineup would've been Danault, Mete and Evans.. with the last two being mid-late round picks unlikely to make the NHL at the time.

Our depth/prospect pool at that time was just terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad