What soccer songs do you like?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There are a lot of songs I like that have been adopted as football anthems, but my favorite pure football songs are:

Eisern Union - Nina Hagen

Ich Roque - Sportfreunde Stiller

3 Lions - Baddiel & Skinner

The first just because it always gives me goosebumps. The latter two because they still make me laugh & smile every time they come on.

Shakira's 2010 entry (Waka waka) is my favorite official World Cup song.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

It's a shame so few understand Norwegian. For a football song that song is ridiculous good.

And so strange to see those clips again - back when Norway had a proper team. International football will never again be as good as it was during the 90s - if you are Norwegian.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's a stretch to call drunken fans chanting insults at their rivals to the mangled and barely recognizable tunes of 40 year old pop songs "football songs". I'd also call it a stretch to say a song becomes a football song because EA Sports decided to put it in a video game soundtrack.

Football songs I like

(1) Three Lions by the Lightning Seeds - it's really an ingenious pop song that captures the mindset of any football fan quite brilliantly

(2) World in Motion by New Order - a classy pop song with a catchy hook and an even more memorable rap by John Barnes

(3) Un'estate Italiana by Gianna Nannini & Edoardo Bennato - Late 80s Italian power pop with plenty of schmalzy pathos which however does strike the exactly right notes to create a sense of nostalgic longing for that particular Italian summer 1990 (this song was unsurprisingly quite popular in Germany that summer).

(4) 54,74,90, 2006 by Sportfreunde Stiller - Written in time for the 2006 World Cup, this is the he first and only decent song about Germany's national team. It was written by a pop band whose members happen to be big football fans and unlike most football-related songs this was not commissioned by an organizing committee or FA. It represents the brief moment in time when the German national team managed to be a factor in 'cool' contemporary German youth culture. And it's pretty catchy.

(5) Zeit dass sich was dreht by Herbert Grönemeyer - This was the 'official anthem' of World Cup 2006 and thus a work of commission. As a neutral song nevertheless written in German, it had a somewhat difficult time appealing to either the German audience (which at that time embraced Germany-centric fan songs) and the international audience (which couldn't understand the lyrics or had any familiarity with Herbert Grönemeyer as an artist). I did however think it's actually a pretty good song, and better than most 'official' songs for tournaments. I will grant that my sentiments about this song (much like with Un'estate Italiana) might be linked to having been completely caught up in the World Cup at the time and subsequent nostalgia about it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I waffled between "Ich Roque" & "54, 74, 90, 2006". The latter definitely better captures the vibe of being a NT fan...but "Ich Roque" is just so much sillier & I still can't help but belt out the spanish verse every time it comes on in my car :laugh:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
There are a lot of songs I like that have been adopted as football anthems, but my favorite pure football songs are:

Eisern Union - Nina Hagen

Ich Roque - Sportfreunde Stiller

3 Lions - Baddiel & Skinner

The first just because it always gives me goosebumps. The latter two because they still make me laugh & smile every time they come on.

Shakira's 2010 entry (Waka waka) is my favorite official World Cup song.

Sportfreunde Stiller are great.
Edit: I just saw that Roque still plays!

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just wanted to thank @GabeTravels & @TheMoreYouKnow again, for all of the K'naan & Grönemeyer I have been listening to again since this thread was started. I had completely forgotten how much I enjoyed both of these artists :laugh:

2006-2010 really had some amazing football anthems for a german kid living in the US full-time by that point. Setting aside the human cost of hosting the tournament...and Jogi lacking the fortitude to bring Kruse...the anthems were my biggest disappointment with 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: GabeTravels

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
t's my favorite anthem, even though I'm not a fan of Union. But love this show.

1.FC Nürnberg

Rot-Weiss Essen

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad