What skates to buy?

SergeiMakarovStyle

Oct 12, 2011
Im a guy in the 20s that are skilled in ice hockey and soccer. I dont play on a team or organized hockey, just for fun in an inside hockey rink. For the last years I have been using some old and cheap skates, but they are simply too bad and I want to buy new and better skates.

I dont have much knowledge about skates but I have read something about Bauer VAPOR X 3.0 , 5.0 and 6.0 and they seemed to be quite good.

Im a forward and I need a skate that is good overall, not just for speed and acceleration , but also agility and balance.
Since im a soccer player too im not that heavy, 6 ft (184 cm) and 170 lb (77kg) , is that something to take into consideration when buying skates?

I dont have to buy Bauer VAPOR X, but this is the skate I have most knowledge about.

Any advice on what skates I should buy?
You guys got any links/reviews/forums for further reading about skates?
:)

BLBarmada

Theres another thread here for that: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=973893

It's about ankle support so it helps, for the most part it doesn't matter which skate you use, however some are lighter and perform better.

When you buy skates get them baked, it makes it easier to break into them. And go with skates that have good ankle support.

I bought pumps yesterday, I can't review them yet so I can't honestly say I'd recommend them. But I've heard good things about them.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Try them out at your local hockey shop. Everyone has different feet, and thus different fit.

If you're looking to order online, check out this page: http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

Also go on Youtube or Google, and find tutorials on baking your own skates with a home oven if there aren't any skate ovens around where you live.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Try them out at your local hockey shop. Everyone has different feet, and thus different fit.

If you're looking to order online, check out this page: http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

Also go on Youtube or Google, and find tutorials on baking your own skates with a home oven if there aren't any skate ovens around where you live.

Yah, it's funny how often this topic comes up. I feel bad for people who are new to the skate buying process and don't understand some skates just won't fit some people's feet. I wonder what the percentage would be if they took a skate and foot expert to a rec league and measured feet just how many people are currently using the wrong skate? You really have to try on many brands before you purchase. And sometimes the same brand may not fit. I really wanted some Supremes, they were on sale, I tried them on and had pain on the top of both my feet. I was coming from Vapor 40's though so I tried on the X60's and they fit like a glove. If I would have assumed because they were both Bauers and bought them without trying them on I would be miserable every time I play.

DJnet65

Aug 29, 2005
San Jose, CA
In the end the best skate for you is going to be the one that fits the best.

Don't buy a skate because of it's reviews or or because it's popular, Get the best fitting skate you can, and you will be much happier that way.

All skates Bauer, CCM, Easton, Reebok, Graf have different fits and you will need to try them on to find the brand that fits you best.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Hockey shops really should have a machine that you stick your feet in, it kicks out specs and tells you the best skate for your foot.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Throw any brand or model bias out the window right now. Go try on all the skates your local shop has and find out which ones fit best. Try on all different brands, all different model lines and, if you have the time, different levels within each model line. If there's multiple skates that fit perfectly then do some research on those two lines and narrow it down further.

You're not going to get a 'bad' skate from any of the current manufacturers. There is no better or worse skate for agility or balance. You can always customize your blades to fit your style of play, don't let the marketing make you choose a skate geared towards one style of skater or the other.

What is your budget for a pair of skates?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hockey shops really should have a machine that you stick your feet in, it kicks out specs and tells you the best skate for your foot.

That's actually called a good and knowledgeable sales associate :laugh:

Regarding baking skates at home :

DO NOT DO THIS; for one it voids any warranties on the boot/holder and it could compromise the durability of the skate. If your shop doesn't have a skate oven, then just break them in the old-fashioned way.

DO NOT BAKE SKATES IN YOUR HOME OVEN

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
What skates to buy? The ones that fit your foot best and your budget.

Bauer, CCM, Graf, Reebok, and Easton all make a quality product from what I can tell. Purchase on fit first and foremost.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Regarding baking skates at home :

DO NOT DO THIS; for one it voids any warranties on the boot/holder and it could compromise the durability of the skate. If your shop doesn't have a skate oven, then just break them in the old-fashioned way.

DO NOT BAKE SKATES IN YOUR HOME OVEN

Yeah, thanks for including this disclaimer.

BAKE AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
What skates to buy? The ones that fit your foot best and your budget.

Bauer, CCM, Graf, Reebok, and Easton all make a quality product from what I can tell. Purchase on fit first and foremost.

Avoid older Eastons, they rust out incredibly quick and the CF boot cant be punched out.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
you can get a new pair of 'blemished' MLX skates for $499 I have a pair and they are the best most comfortable skates I have ever worn, they really mold to your feet.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
100-540 $

Max 540 $

With that budget you can get pretty much any skate short of the very 'top of the line' ones, which you probably don't need anyway. How stiff do you like your skates? Generally the higher you go up the lines the stiffer the boots get. Find out what you'd prefer and go try on all brands and lines that are around the stiffness and price you like.

SergeiMakarovStyle

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks for all your comments.

The main reason that I mentioned the Vapors in my initial post,
is that they are pretty much the only skates available in stores where I live. (Norway)
And like most of you recommend, I would really like to try them on before I buy.
So that leaves me with the choice between Vapors X 3.0, 5.0 & 6.0.

I have tried them on, and they seem to fit pretty good, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get.

I understand the 5 & 6 have a better runner than the 3s, but what are the other differences?
Do you guys think the better skates warrant the price jump?

I've also heard that more "advanced" skates can be difficult to break in, if you're on the light side (<170 lbs),
and only get a couple of hours on the ice per week.. would love to hear some opinions on that as well.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
The 4.0 would be the best fit for you imho, since they have some of the high end features and still leaves some comfort room to fine tune skating..

3.0 probably will wear fast if you play 2-3 times a week, 5.0 are a lot better than 3.0 and better than 4.0 for sure, they should be the equivalent of the X:40 so (as a friend have them) they should be a lot stiffer than the 3.0 and of the 4.0

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
I have the Vapor X30 and they are very comfortable. I love em'.

I had to dump my 9K Pump after only 1 season because they were too used. Don't buy these.

gabbagabbawill

Jun 9, 2011
A year ago, I had to get the cheapest skates I could afford at the time, which were the Vapor X:05. These skates are the cheapest hockey skate that Bauer makes, as far as I know. They are a surprisingly good skate for the price range. The biggest problem I have is that the steel runners are relatively soft, and I have to get them sharpened AT LEAST every other skate. When sharpening costs $10 a pop, it adds up. I would have been better off economically to get a skate with a better steel runner that would hold up to longer periods without needing sharpening.

Also, something to consider when it comes to the steel runners is that you can't replace them on any of the Vapor skates until you get to the Vapor 5.0. I had a friend break his runner (I know, weird, right?) on a pair of X:40's and to replace it, he had to get all new holders and runners for both skates so that they would match correctly... needless to say it was a better idea to just buy new skates at that point, which he did.

So, that being said, I would go with the X 5.0, as I don't think you can go wrong with them. They have the same runners/holders as the 6.0... If you want to spend more, go with the 6.0, but IMO most recreational players are not going to see benefit from anything above the 5.0.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
A year ago, I had to get the cheapest skates I could afford at the time, which were the Vapor X:05. These skates are the cheapest hockey skate that Bauer makes, as far as I know. They are a surprisingly good skate for the price range. The biggest problem I have is that the steel runners are relatively soft, and I have to get them sharpened AT LEAST every other skate. When sharpening costs $10 a pop, it adds up. I would have been better off economically to get a skate with a better steel runner that would hold up to longer periods without needing sharpening.

Also, something to consider when it comes to the steel runners is that you can't replace them on any of the Vapor skates until you get to the Vapor 5.0. I had a friend break his runner (I know, weird, right?) on a pair of X:40's and to replace it, he had to get all new holders and runners for both skates so that they would match correctly... needless to say it was a better idea to just buy new skates at that point, which he did.

So, that being said, I would go with the X 5.0, as I don't think you can go wrong with them. They have the same runners/holders as the 6.0... If you want to spend more, go with the 6.0, but IMO most recreational players are not going to see benefit from anything above the 5.0.

As far as i've heard on IW review for X4.0, they have replaceable runner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad