News Article: What Should We Expect From Kopitar This Year?

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
While last blog I touched on the 30-in-30's take on the Kings prospects, today it's all about Kopitar.

I think even Anze Kopitar himself can agree that at the end of his 2012-13 post-season he didn’t play up to the standards expected of him put forth by coaches, fans, and most importantly himself.

During the end of the regular season the goal must have looked like a mouse hole in a wall to Kopitar as the Slovenian went the final 25 games registering just two goals. In fact, Kopitar still finished the season with 42 points but barely eclipsed double digits in the goal column.

While his 42 points were close to the point per game pace we have come to expect from the center...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53204#.Uf_3N2Q5xdM

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
coming from a Wings fan and Kopitar being my favorite player outside the Wings i think hes always been more of a set up guy than goal scorer i think hes always gonna put up way more apples than goals, hes such a strong 2 way player thats its hard to judge hes like zetterberg and Datsyuk they will have goal scoring droughts but it doesnt mean their playing bad because they do some many other factors in the game that only if you watch them you can tell if that makes sense?

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
that aside i think he will be just fine you guys have such much offensive talent that i think hes good for 70 to 80pts this year which is just fine for the player he is

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
coming from a Wings fan and Kopitar being my favorite player outside the Wings i think hes always been more of a set up guy than goal scorer i think hes always gonna put up way more apples than goals, hes such a strong 2 way player thats its hard to judge hes like zetterberg and Datsyuk they will have goal scoring droughts but it doesnt mean their playing bad because they do some many other factors in the game that only if you watch them you can tell if that makes sense?

I agree.

I've always thought of him as a 20-25 goal guy, to go along with 45-50 apples (he has had 47, 48 and 51 the last 3 full seasons). Your assessment of a 2-way player is spot on, though I don't think he is on Datsyuk's level, but perhaps that next tier.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I wan him to be a PPG player. He may never be a 40 goal scorer but he needs to to boost his assist numbers. For a super patient pass-first center, he should average more than 60 assists per season.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
i dont see 55-60 assists this year outa the question hes still getting into his prime and on another note i always feel like hes underrated on these boards do you guys in LA feel the same way? like i said earlier so many people judge by stats but its all the little things Kopi does that you can appreciate

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

Absolutely. Kopitar is matched up against other team's top center so consistently and he does a wonderful job.

You can't really teach the level of intelligent defensive hockey he plays. Small details, but he gets them right most of the time.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
well i could see kopitar getting the point agame average but he would have to change a few things if we wanted that. Normally at the end of a game when we re up by a goal the other team pulls the goalie. Kopitar always seems to make the safe play and just clear the puck I think if he went up the middle more he would end up with a few more points which is the difference imo between him just under and making the point a game average. He would/should shoot more as well especially on the pp. This is where he needs to be more effective I think he passes far to much. A few more one timers from the circle and he would have the ppg average. To be honest i think i ll take him just how he is a defensive forward with just under point agame player selke forward.

KingKopitar11*

30 goals - 40 assists.

I'm thinking a strong bounce back season, but cautiously optimistic.

Captain Mittens*

I wanna believe that Kopitar's injury held him back this year, especially in the playoffs.
I am hoping that Kopitar shows up to camp in the best shape of his life and has a career year.....

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
25 Goals, 82+ points.

We've been harping his skills for years, he's mastered his defensive game, now the rest of the league has noticed him. He's got to produce the above numbers at a minimum or he will be falling short of his abilities in my opinion.

KingKopitar11*

I wanna believe that Kopitar's injury held him back this year, especially in the playoffs.
I am hoping that Kopitar shows up to camp in the best shape of his life and has a career year.....

Me too.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think it will depend heavily on both his linemates and how the defense holds up. If we have everything clicking, despite Scuderi's departure, both Doughty and Kopitar ought to have rebounds in offensive numbers.

Luckily Lombardi has so much backup this time around and a lot of the young players are more experienced, that the likelihood of it coming together is good.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
The tension that always exist w/ Kopi is very much self inflicted. When you possess that kind of size and skill, people's expectations are going to soar. Kopi makes what he does look too easy. But it's not. The playoff's showed us that. If anything, that should teach us patience towards Kopi in his development and appreication for all that he does on both ends that goes assumed.

With that said, I'm still waiting for that 100 pt season.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The tension that always exist w/ Kopi is very much self inflicted. When you possess that kind of size and skill, people's expectations are going to soar. Kopi makes what he does look too easy. But it's not. The playoff's showed us that. If anything, that should teach us patience towards Kopi in his development and appreication for all that he does on both ends that goes assumed.

With that said, I'm still waiting for that 100 pt season.

I highly doubt anyone has a 100PT season.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
He can say that all he wants, he was not the same and it was obvious.

You might want to read the story. It might not have been an injury. Besides, both Kopitar and Lombardi denied that he was injured. As such, those sticking to "he was injured" are really just making an excuse for him.

If the player himself flatly denies that he was hurt, then there can be only one conclusion, in this case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad